Jung vs. Freud: 1908

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had never seen this before...

In 1908, Jung became editor of the newly founded Yearbook for Psychoanalytical and Psychopathological Research. The following year, Jung and Freud traveled to the U.S., introducing psychoanalysis to this new audience via their Fordham Lectures. Both men grew a quick fascination with American culture and customs. Freud, who harbored many personal fears about entering old age, found escape in the refreshing, idiosyncratic culture of this young country.

The two spent about three months touring America, which represented the most intimate point in their friendship. However the close contact and exhausting conversations exposed certain ideological differences that would ultimately tear the friendship apart. Jung's primary disagreement with Freud stemmed from their differing concepts of the unconscious. Jung saw Freud's theory of the unconscious as incomplete and unnecessarily negative.

Freud_Jung%2007lrg.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sometimes a cue stick is just a cue stick.

Table ID, pls?

Pretty sure it's an old Brunswick.....played on a few like that as a kid.
They still had the net pockets...you can see them hanging at the corners.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
In 1908, Jung became editor of the newly founded Yearbook for Psychoanalytical and Psychopathological Research. The following year, Jung and Freud traveled to the U.S., introducing psychoanalysis to this new audience via their Fordham Lectures. Both men grew a quick fascination with American culture and customs. Freud, who harbored many personal fears about entering old age, found escape in the refreshing, idiosyncratic culture of this young country.

The two spent about three months touring America, which represented the most intimate point in their friendship. However the close contact and exhausting conversations exposed certain ideological differences that would ultimately tear the friendship apart. Jung's primary disagreement with Freud stemmed from their differing concepts of the unconscious. Jung saw Freud's theory of the unconscious as incomplete and unnecessarily negative.

Screw all that. Who won?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice find.

Though I doubt the picture was taken in 1908. The picture quality looks too good, and Jung looks too old to be 33 (he was born in 1875). I'm guessing this was taken in the 20s or 30s.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Nice find.

Though I doubt the picture was taken in 1908. The picture quality looks too good, and Jung looks too old to be 33 (he was born in 1875). I'm guessing this was taken in the 20s or 30s.

Quite right. I doubt that Drs. Yung, or Freud, ever wore bellbottoms. :rolleyes:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screw all that. Who won?
My guess Jung won, because Freud was too busy psychoanalyzing all of pool's sexual puns (balls, shafts, stroking, racks, putting it in the hole) instead of actually playing the game.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
Nice find.

The table is quite a bit newer than 1908 as well. Wish I could recall the model....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I was holding off on that joke...
waiting to release at just the right time.

Just admit it, Shakes.....you dogged it on the timing.

..probably because an Alsace Lorraine Shepherd barked at you when you were two....

...yeah, that's the ticket

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure that is not Marlon Brando on the left? Those look like his attire from The Wild One. And that must be Lee Marvin at the table.
Johnny and Chino must have decided to settle their differences in a civilized manner, much like Lou FIGUEROA and John BARTON.

Dave