Joe Villalpando's "Pool IQ Vol. 1: Kicking Systems"

iowa_player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Joe's DVD's are worth every cent I paid for them. I make shots I didn't know how to make before and have kicked in several shots since learning his stuff. His cue ball knowledge and position play suggestions have greatly improved my game. Well worth the money.

I'm with you Jim !!!

Joe's DVD's are great and worth ten times the cost . I to have kicked in many balls that without Joe's help I may have been giving up ball in hand and a sure loss . My game has improved greatly from the benefit of Joe's knowledge . I eagerly await the next pooliq DVD

Joe my friend please keep up the good work sir.

Happy New Year :)

Larry

MrSchon9

once a month banger
Silver Member
I have only watched 1 of the video's by Joe but have known him a long time. I consider myself a pretty fair player and in my opinion Joe has more knowledge in one arm than myself or 80% of the people on AZ. The problem is some people can be shown something over and over and don't get it, you can't just watch a video and hope to get better it still takes time and a lot of practice, I assure you if you practice the things he teaches you cant help but become a better player and that goes for any skill level.

Thanks Ron O'Meara

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have only watched 1 of the video's by Joe but have known him a long time. I consider myself a pretty fair player and in my opinion Joe has more knowledge in one arm than myself or 80% of the people on AZ. The problem is some people can be shown something over and over and don't get it, you can't just watch a video and hope to get better it still takes time and a lot of practice, I assure you if you practice the things he teaches you cant help but become a better player and that goes for any skill level.

Thanks Ron O'Meara

Ron,
You make some very astute points.

Some people, like myself need to see a video a couple of times or a few times to truly "get it", then several sessions of practicing it to make it part of their game. Even then, you have to maintain that knowledge by reviewing or teaching.

Some people do not want to put forth the effort that it takes to improve their game.

Sitting in front of your television or DVD player and watching an instructional video isn't going to do the job by itself no matter how many brain cells you have or don't have.

JoeyA

TannerPruess

PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Billiard Review: Pool I.Q. Volume 1 (Kick Shots)

Attachments

• PoolIQa.jpg
    PoolIQa.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 806
Last edited:

iowa_player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tanner nice review and nice website as well please keep up
the good work ! I have both of Joe's dvd's and eagerly await his 3rd dvd .

Happy New Year !

Larry

BrandyE

Registered
In response to the post by Clark_the_shark about little Joe’s Kicking System DVD
I am curious; did you scan through this just one time while eating Doritos and texting? Because that is the only way I can understand you saying that this DVD was lacking in content. And I am also not sure when information on a subject collected for over a half a decade is worth less than $1/minute (as you stated).
So let me just address some of the things you “didn’t like” about the DVDs… and tell you what my opinions are:
The 1-rail kicking section was very helpful to me, and I am not sure what “obvious reasons” someone might have for not being able to use this information. It is a FUNDAMENTAL, and is explained and demonstrated very clearly.
The 2 and 3 rail kicking sections are also explained precisely, and demonstrated more than once – so you can really see how they are working as Joe explains what is actually happening. These are also fundamentals that need to be learned before you can start to apply methods to change the path of the cue ball.
Concluding with the Extended Diamond Kicking, which helps to show how to vary up any and all of the kicks that we have learned up to this point. I’m glad that you found this useful, as did I.
If you had asked Joe how to measure and adjust to compensate for table variations, he probably would have spent a half an hour explaining to you how to do it. This is something he has taught me personally.
I believe that if you had also watched the other DVD, and taken time to practice and re-watch them both again, your opinion might be different (as all of ours seem to be). For me there were several AH-HA moments watching these DVDs. And as I started applying his methods in my game, I have made some major breakthroughs. My kicking has greatly improved and more importantly I am moving the cue ball with more precision. I have improved my ACS league average from a 7 to an 8 in just one season. Joe has really made me a student of the game. His methods are simple, easy to learn, and proven to work – though they may take a lifetime to master.
I must say that myself, this pool community, and Joe find your opinion to be rather insulting. I am glad that you went back to let everyone know that upon your dissatisfaction with his DVD that Joe FULLY REFUNDED your money. So if nothing else comes of your somewhat low blow review, at least people know that if they do purchase Joe’s videos and share your (unpopular) opinion then they won’t be out any money. I guess for every 99 satisfied customers there’s always 1 who won’t be satisfied, and this is just his 1 prerogative.
I also can’t help but say here that Joe is a really genuine, caring, and nice person. His lifetime passion has been for pool, and to me that is commendable. He is not some rich guy living high on the hog for all the time he has invested into our sport. He is really an average, down to earth, hardworking individual, and a person who I have a lot of respect for.

So thanks Joe… for sharing your lifetime of experience with all of us – it really is appreciated!

Brandy E

madfox

I love pool ...
Silver Member
This is more like a presentation of the DVD. Review means also a personal input on this ?

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member
Actually, there is already a thread for this product. So your presentation will be combined with the current thread. You should also unblur the line between advertising and review here by modifying your posts.

Thanks.

jackman

Registered
i had the pleasure of meeting joe at the derby. he helped me with my game and i purchased his video of tangents...it was great...he is a wonderful man and it was great meeting him.....jack

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
i had the pleasure of meeting joe at the derby. he helped me with my game and i purchased his video of tangents...it was great...he is a wonderful man and it was great meeting him.....jack

Jack,
I have had both of Joe's videos for some time now and when I took some time to visit Joe at the DCC, he immediately put me to work, teaching me a lot of what I didn't learn by watching his videos. I KNOW that I need to get back and watch some of his videos because some of his stuff was INCREDIBLE. Now I know why they outlaw electronic devices like radios and ipods. Joe could put you in the winner's circle just by whispering in your ear, "That's 1:30", "That's 6/3", "no no, that's 10:30!" :smile:

I'm not trying to beat up on Clark the Shark but he could do some justice by going over the videos a few times or taking a lesson from Joe. I know I need to go over them quite a few more times and PRACTICE what he shows in the video.

"There's no such thing as a Silver Bullet." (Ray Martin)

JoeyA

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I've spent about 30 hours with Joe in the last couple years and he's the most knowledgeable pool player I've ever met. He's also right on the top of my A list of just plain good guys.

kjct

Joe Villalpando's PoolIQ

I have alot to say about this program...I am new to the pool world and league play.

I was introduced to Joe and his videos at State Tournament one year when I passed his booth. I was so intrigued by what he offered and what he was telling me, yet could not believe that what he was showing would work.

I was not a player at the time, only spectating. But right there at his booth he took the time to 'show me'...that I could do this. A 3 rail kick using extended diamonds, is what he told me I was gonna do. I was certain this guy was outa his mind, first of all I did not understand a word of what he said...but with cue in hand and minimal instruction, I hit the shot and made it! THATS how good Joe is at instructing! Its all downhill from there..

I have since bought both DVD's and study them religiously. I have joined a league and have improved each week, I practice 3-4 times per week when my schedule allows it..and that is ALL I think about...not just pool but POOLIQ!

Not only that, but I have had the privilege of having Joe instruct me personally, he has given me several lessons and from each lesson I have been able to improve my techniques. Don't get me wrong, the videos are AWESOME, everyone should own them...but what you learn and gain from him when he stands right next to you, is immeasurable! That in combination with the Videos are a recipe for success!

Cordially,
kjct:thumbup:

Lol - My dad buddied around with Joe one summer when he was in phoenix in like 1986. My dad gave Joe a CAR for lessons. $45 seems like a deal - then again, I think it was a dodge, so....

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little Joe is a Legendary Road Player...

I bought both DVD's and hope he comes out with a 3rd and beyond soon...

I loaned them to league buddies whom jumped 2-3 skill levels after watching these two dvds's within weeks... how much is that worth to them you think?

Consider this... the average person takes 13 times to learn something new... (not pool specific)...

Some pros say it takes 500-1000 repetitions to actually learn and own a new shot...
Think about the killer draw stroke that magically goes away because you are not shooting it every day...

Did anybody learn what 12x12 was the first time they heard it, etc?

For those unhappy with the dvd's I would suggest re-watching, to make sure you pick up the subtle differences between the setups and executions of each of the shots and the different little tidbits of information he passed on, mentioned etc., when each shooter was at the table.

No two players shot the same (I should say similar) shot exactly the same way; because they were all set up a little different...

Joe's systems are slightly different from the variations the BCA instructors teach; which IMHO is good; because different point of views to accomplish the same thing really helps make things sink in good...

Another thing is that the more you see or shot a particular shot the more it sinks in and really sticks; also you start seeing more possible variations thereof...

In Pocket Billiards especially (IMHO) "Repetition Inspires Creativity"...

I only wished I lived in Little Joe's part of the country; so I could take some lessons...

Pretty hard to argue with the results Joe's students have obtained...

Any money sticks who learn one single thing from Little Joe's DVD's will have already paid for them many times over...

peace.

Last edited:

NineBallz

Registered
I have worked with Lil' Joe for the last 6 months as both a beginning pool player and a grateful friend. Joe has taught me incredibly useful knowledge on the slate as well as life and is a highly regarded figure in the pool world.

I first bought Lil' Joe's DVD's having absolutely NO knowledge of pool. I thought I could play because I was able to make a few balls in a row, but had no idea how rewarding this game can be. I watched 'Pool IQ' one or two times and thought I had the hang of it, but a game as simple as 9 balls, a slate, and a cue is the most humbling and challenging game a person could ever take on (in my experience). It is not until a player is truly humbled by the game, that the real learning can take effect. For any "player" who says that this DVD does not, or cannot help their pool game; has a juvenile attitude of the sport and might consider an easier, more simple hobby to fill their time.

The thing I have noticed about pool throughout my work with Joe is that your outlook on pool changes continually. The people that you play with, the things that you learn, and the games that you won or should have won all shape your opinion and attitude on this complex game. I have noticed that certain people at certain points of their playing career settle with their game. Too often people get the wrong impression of pool and think they know all their is to know about the game and become content. This is what I like to call an artificially enhanced ego. The learning process is impossible with the existence of an artificially enhanced ego.

When you play a sport as good as anyone in the world it is easy to have an ego, Joe is different. Joe doesn't brag he doesn't trash talk, he doesn't act as if he is better than you because he knows for about the game. That is what makes a good instructor. He lets his own pride of pool down to help a student improve their own.

Joe has been the best thing for my pool game. Once you begin to learn real knowledge, it only sparks your passion more for the sport. So a big thanks goes out to Lil' Joe for helping the pool community better themselves.

Lastly,

For anyone who doubts the credibility or material of Lil' Joe's DVD collection, I may offer some suggestions:

1. Look at Joe's track record as an instructor. The name "Behnke' might be your first place to start.

2. Take everything you think you know about the game pool, write it on a dry erase board (any color marker will work), once you have done this take the board and continue to set it on fire.

3. If all else fails, Google has some good recommendations for highly accredited therapists.

StraightIn

Registered
The two DVDs are excellent and save you a lot of time learning something that would take a long time on your own. I spent 3 months with Joe a couple of summers ago and if you can get him to teach while playing him a few 9 ball games his whole system brings new meaning to simplification. He can actually show you how he uses his own system during certain shots of each game. A class act and excellent videos. Some of the kicks he made were absolutely incredible. He then shows you how to make the exact same shot with consistency. He has left out some of his tips from the video but probably due to oversight. I never knew there were so many tricks to get a ball to follow a certain line around the table and from nearly any location.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are all good DVDs and worth every cent. Yes, there is repetition, but you have little talked about systems that are greatly expounded on. Most other DVDs rely on giving you old, rehashed info that you can find on every other dvd that you buy. Not these. And lessons about every nuance is rarely addressed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is... if you want lots of info rehashed differently, this is not for you. But, if you have learned your basics from the others and want an indepth lesson, this is a good opportunity for a cheap price. It is definitely not for the shallow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Joe is an excellent instructor with great skills. His DVD's are worth every cent.