Ob-1 and Ob-129 with the classic shaft

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
So 6 months or so ago I was struggling with my game and couldn't really figure out why. My cues at the time weren't anything special but had been winning me games for a long time. Then I played with my friends Samsara bar cue with a 314 stuck on the end and drilled a guy playing 20 a game. After that it hit me. I was demanding more out of my equipment then it could provide. I had hit a period where I was outplaying my setup and was in need of something, better. Luckily for me there is a huge supply store attached to the pool room so I wondered over and picked out a 314-2, Ob-1 and Ob classic. By this time I had secured a super cheap yet solid hitting cue from eBay with less than stellar shafts. But what did I expect for 50 bucks. Anyway, the cue has the longest 3/8x10 pin I've ever seen a good inch and a half. Which for me is great, more bite and better feel. So I screwed on the Ob-1 hit a few balls and I liked it. Same goes for the classic. I then tried on the predator and to my surprise warrentet screw all the way down. Which was a bummer cause even tho I hate the way they feel there is no denying that they play great.

It was down to the Ob-1 and classic. I sided with the 1 because of the solid black collar. I like my cues to look uniform and the stock ob ring wasn't working for me. I paid the man and I was now a proud owner of an Ob-1. My first LD shaft. Something my friend said was long over due.
I assumed that since I took to his 314 so fast I wouldn't have to adjust that much to the 1. Well I was wrong. Definitely a learning curve. I think part of it was the soft nature of shaft and the other part being LD. I'm usually a stiff hit guy with a med hard tip. So yeah the 1 took some getting knowing. So here I am with an Ob-1 and cheap Chinese butt playing pretty well. And yet something is still missing. It just isn't hitting just right. Maybe its the everest tip,which I'm not a fan of. The balance of the cue(hint) or something I'm just not used to. I own 3 cues. A one piece McDermott from the early 90's a Anvil jump/break from Mr.gulyassy, and the no name cue. Tried the shaft on all 3 and it wasn't working. I'm playing well, just not well enough.
I had come to the conclusion that the balance of all these cues were not in my favor and I needed something that was going to work better than what I had. I went next door and asked to see all the OB cues they had in stock,which was just about all of them. I picked up the 129 and I just knew that was what I was missing. Plus I wanted to get a classic anyway. Walked next door to test hit a few balls and I was sold. After the deal the owner cut me I couldn't walk out the door with out it. I'm also a huge fan of cocobolo and Birdseye.

How do they play? Funny you should ask. The 1 seemed to come alive once mated with the butt. It played how I envisioned it to. The balance was perfect. The right amount of forward balance to help your natural follow. I was like"well shit that works. Let's try the classic." At first I was less than impressed. Yet the more I hit some balls with it the better it played. The feel, my god the feel, is what I hoped it would be. The sound when struck was enjoyable. It feels as tho, Ob built these cues as if they were players themselves. Which I'm sure is the case, but you never know. Its how cues should feel, play and sound in my opinion. Good job OB!

OB-1....... Its a nice softer hit with good action and dead straight accuracy. The everest leaves a little to be desired. I would suggest replacing it with your favorite tip. The wood ferrule has given me zero problems and really is a solid piece. Some complain. That the look would bother them, I never even considered it to be an issue. I will state I did have the cue for a week and had to get it sealed. It feels a bit raw and if you sweat a lot its an issue. The cue sticks to your fingers, bad. After the seal, no issues.
The Classic..... I like the taper a bit more on this one. The really short ferrule provides good feed back and sound. Again the tip is the weakest part of the shaft. I was able to play certain shots better than with the 1. Its stiffness reminds me of the 314-2 a bit, but with far far far more feel. You hit a well struck ball and the cue rewards you with a nice feel and sound. You just know. I haven't played much with the shaft but I know its a winner. I see the same issue as with the other one. A trip to my cuemaker buddy for a seal job and a new tip.
The butt....... Although its not as nice visually as the one on line, it still has enough Birdseye and Cocobolo figure to pass. I'm pretty hard when it comes to look and construction. Let's face it, its a big deal how it hits and looks. The butt is constructed well with a slightly oversized butt, didn't mic it just feels that way, and a standard length 3/8x10 pin. I will say it looks nice with the drilled out center, which I have always liked. The clear job looks and feels good. Can't feel any of the rings and I believe you won't even after time. Some of the plastic pieces, mainly the joint and butt cap have a slight white haze to them, I mean ever so slight. I know its the material but still, I noticed. With either shaft, OB-1 is 3.7oz and the classic is 3.9oz, the cue has a very nice forward balance that when down on your shot feels natural. Again the feel is amazing with a rewarding sound. Both shaft and butt play more like a custom cue than a production. Hats off to the guys in Texas for not only turning a hard core custom cue guy into a fan, but for making one hell of a product.
With every product there are issues. I haven't experienced any issues. So I can't comment on any warrntee work and customer service. I only say this because I've seen some upset reviewers. My experience doesn't warrant me saying they are wrong cause simply I haven't had to deal with it. In case anyone wanted to know.
For anyone looking into buying a LD shaft I would suggest an OB obviously. They play great have a nice feel and feed back. I have hit with the most popular production LD shafts. The HXT, Predator McDermott OB. So if you have any questions I'd be happy to give my thoughts on the other shafts. For those who made it past the novel I thank you.

Hit'em well my friends!
DB

Last edited:

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post, and yes, OB makes some nice shafts. I've hit with them all and own a few and they are very nice. Also cool that they offer two options for each size, dampened with the OB1/2 and a more classic feel with the Classic/Pro.

Scott

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
Nice post, and yes, OB makes some nice shafts. I've hit with them all and own a few and they are very nice. Also cool that they offer two options for each size, dampened with the OB1/2 and a more classic feel with the Classic/Pro.

Scott

For a long time I was against anything Predator or LD. I thought the cue ball did some pretty unnatural things. It was always old growth shafts that I played with. Then I took playing with my friends setup seriously and found I played well with it. I just demanded more feedback from the cue and shaft. After the hundreds of Q&A's on here about LD shafts I went with the OB. Fits like a glove.

80P

Banned
Thanks a ton for posting this. Ive been on the fence about ordering a 129 but i think you just sold me on it. Great review