Question for Room Owners

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Hi, 2 quick questions:

1) is there a formula on what you need to make per square foot and/or per table with the known rent being one of the elements in the equation?

2) I have the possible opportnity to open a small room. The square footage will only accommodate around 10 or 11 full size tables, but the rent is super affordable and the location is excellent. I ran (not owned) a pool hall many years ago so I know the business. Thoughts please :bash: -Z-

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know of any simple formula.

IMO, 10 to 12 tables isn't a small room today; rent is perhaps your biggest fixed expense which is responsible for our shrinking industry.

You need to get a handle on all your operating costs: rent, utilities, telephone, cable, insurance, labor, supplies, etc.

Are you going to offer food and beverages? It's not a simple business ~ you need a solid business plan!

It's probably the key element to any successful business....location, location, location.

Good luck and GO HUSKIES :wink:

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I don't know of any simple formula.

IMO, 10 to 12 tables isn't a small room today; rent is perhaps your biggest fixed expense which is responsible for our shrinking industry.

You need to get a handle on all your operating costs: rent, utilities, telephone, cable, insurance, labor, supplies, etc.

Are you going to offer food and beverages? It's not a simple business ~ you need a solid business plan!

It's probably the key element to any successful business....location, location, location.

Good luck and GO HUSKIES :wink:

Rock solid advice, thank you! I'm a big proponent of Business Plans, and have written quite a few over the years (I own 3 other businesses). Earlier this evening, after the stars fell a little out of my eyes, I started doing a draft biz plan in my head, which I will later commit to paper and formally complete.

I haven't seen the actual space yet, but I'm familiar with the building as a whole. Once I see the space, I'll get a better idea on whether or not things will work out design wise and then go from there. While I know food can be a decent revenue stream, I think given the space limitations I'll go that pre-packaged route & canned soda. I've thought about vending machines to keep things ultra-simple. Thanx again!!! -Z-