Golf ring games

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The room I play in has a twelve ft. Snooker table. The table is reserved for ring games specifically but heads up golf may be played when the regulars have not arrived for the daily ring game. It is also called an OPEN table in regards to the ring game. Question is once a game begins (usually 3-4) players, doesn't really matter, can new players come into the game at any time? They of course start at the one hole. Because of tight, unforgiving pockets and the twelve ft. length, games take 3-4 hours easily. How is pulling out of game handled? What about giving up your spot to another player cause you need to leave or just want out for whatever reason? People seem to pull out when world beaters enter the game.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the other players. Most places if somebody is already past the 3 hole, its an automatic no. If all players are on 1 or 2 and everyone agrees, its ok.
Like most things there are local variations.
Chuck

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf.

Depends on the other players. Most places if somebody is already past the 3 hole, its an automatic no. If all players are on 1 or 2 and everyone agrees, its ok.
Like most things there are local variations.
Chuck

Thanks. And who would want to get in when someone already has the three hole? LOL! Not me. I think it should be unanimous vote to allow anyone in. But they say it's open, so the four man game could turn into a seven man game which I would never have entered into. I played golf back in the 60's and no one came in late to the game! The good old days! Dollar a game, dime a hickey! We didn't have any money! LOL!

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Golf

Used to play for $5 a game, .25 a hickey and $10 a game, .50 a hickey.
The real good players used to play $20 a game, $1 a hickey.

afftonbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the old days there would be 6-8 players playing golf all day long. I recall anybody could get in anytime. The snooker table at Affton Billiards was taken out about 25 years ago. I miss it but the younger folks would not play; of course we could not spare the space for a dead game.
Big Al

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seen it where to get out-you had to pay double the price of game and price of hickeys-theory being that since 'sell out' had to pay double(and that's what we are all trying to avoid, sell out and pay double). So the local rule has been-pay double to get out.:eek:

late player to get in-usually OK if everybody still on 1 or 2 hole.

rustic

It seems to be a casual vote by everyone in the game I'm usually in. Of course, at $3 & $.25 hickeys, with sellouts paying double, the stakes get pretty high. I think I lost seven bucks a few weeks ago after a 2-3 hour game.

I'm not sure I've ever had as much fun on a pool table as I have playing golf on a 5x10 that's seen better days. Amazing how many levels there are to the game. The speed control, the two way shots. How hard it is to know when to help your man out with taking care of his man. And who'll screw you over when you try to. And the rolloffs from hell.

Oh, and I'd never had a reason to try to three or four rail a ball into a side pocket before.

Just picked up the golf addiction recently, but I can see how folks spend every afternoon playing nonstop. If I retired tomorrow, that's probably where you'd find me.

I'm about ten years and ten grand away from being worth a flip at it, but with the right group of folks, it's a lot of fun. And with higher stakes and folks partnering up, I can see how quickly it could go south.

PoolPoet

Registered
We always had a higher amount on the hickeys....ex. if $10 a game..a hickey was $2 hitting your opponents ball first $4. I once ran two racks of golf on a triple shim :) lol

Onepocket926

The room I play in has a twelve ft. Snooker table. The table is reserved for ring games specifically but heads up golf may be played when the regulars have not arrived for the daily ring game. It is also called an OPEN table in regards to the ring game. Question is once a game begins (usually 3-4) players, doesn't really matter, can new players come into the game at any time? They of course start at the one hole. Because of tight, unforgiving pockets and the twelve ft. length, games take 3-4 hours easily. How is pulling out of game handled? What about giving up your spot to another player cause you need to leave or just want out for whatever reason? People seem to pull out when world beaters enter the game.

...I'm thinkin'...if you want to sell your spot...the rest of the table would want to concider...your table position...and who you were selling to....before they allowed it...but, by all means I would propose it if I needed to pick up my wife from the Hospital......and if the "House Rules"...allow additional players in at anytime...I would certainly invoke the ..."sell out pays double rule".....if a guy wants to enter your game when everyone is on the 4 hole...he might be a dummy...and sell out after you spent 4 hours defending your position....

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
----

Golf on a 12 footer is one of my favorite games. While the rules vary in many places I've been, the OPEN policy has always been standard. In every place I've played it meant that: At he beginning of a new game anyone can enter into the game. Open does not mean that someone can get into the game immediately. That can change the whole dynamic of the game and draw. It is also, just common courtesy to wait until the next game starts to play.

As for quitting a game, it was usually the money on the game, hickeys and pockets from the out whole, doubled. If it was an emergency, no not just the wife calling, you could get out for single, group call.

One place had a 6 player rule because beyond that the games just took too long. That made good sense.

Hope it helps,

Jay

bountybuddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf on a snooker table

At my favorite pool hall a bunch of older guys play golf on a snooker table three times a week. They play if you hit another persons ball before you hit your ball you give that person $1.00 and I think a foul is .25 cents. They play for hours. All play better than I do but it is great fun. Most I've lost in a day was about $15.00. Great fun.

clydeNbonnie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When we played golf u could get in at anytime but u had to match the guy with the most hickeys. we always played with at least 6 our 7 people everyday and the games would last an hour our so. So getting in the game late u still had a chance. Plus we played $1 hickeys $10 on the 3 hole $20 on the 6 hole. If u won the game u got payed on everyones hickeys but on the holes u only got paid from the person who sold out to u. Man them days were fun. Nobody plays golf anymore. Hell off a ring game.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At my favorite pool hall a bunch of older guys play golf on a snooker table three times a week. They play if you hit another persons ball before you hit your ball you give that person $1.00 and I think a foul is .25 cents. They play for hours. All play better than I do but it is great fun. Most I've lost in a day was about $15.00. Great fun.

5-7 guys. $20/$2 (price of game/hickeys). Hit wrong ball=$20 (pay now) and a hickey($2)/ball comes off-spots at bottom spot. Make somebody accidently in any hole costs $20(pay now) and a hickey, and come off the table.

Can't see to hit either edge of OB='hooked'-push out to anywhere-costs one hickey($2). Clear shot-miss your ball (slow-roll roll off?)is 3 hickeys($6). Scratch is one hickey. Foul is a hickey(no rail before or after OB hit).

Man following you makes the 6 hole-game over-you pay double 2 x ($20 + $2xhickeys). Everyone else pays price of game($20) plus their hickeys x $2.

It adds up. Sometimes the stall by leader waiting for the 'pot to get rite'. End of game can get cutthroat-if the wrong group of guys-you can/will get hung out where you cannot avoid 'selling out' since the man you follow is stll trying to make the 2 hole and 'hold his man' who is YOU. You just got the worst of it. Often because the sun was coming up-time to be done.

Great game with the right group of players. Good way to see who hates your azz.

4-5 hour game can easily pay 250-300 ish to winner. Usually, a lot of 'picket fences'/hash marks on the board to add up. Table time probably 15-20 per player too.

played on the 5x10 with 2 1/8 balls with 2 3/16 corner pockets...sides slightly bigger. Possible to run #3 to #6 hole, but pretty rough.

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If an player sees he is getting cut up.

And that is usually why they drop out. They can drop out at any time and pay up. A player announcing wait till you see what he does to you after this is just smart enough to get whatever is coming to him. And it might not be money.
Nick :)