Katana LD shafts

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
I recently saw a for sale thread for a "Low Deflection" Katana shaft and figured I've tried everything else so why not?

I've used Predator, Lucasi, OB, McDermott i-shafts, ect... and with exception to the OB Classic shafts, none of them had the radial consistency, lowered deflection and offered the feel of a solid maple shaft. No foam and no hollow/filled front ends.

The Katana shafts are manufactured in China exclusively for CueStix and like a few other manufacturers, the quality/finishing is excellent right out of the package(each shaft has a sock that comes with it similar to Predator). The taper is a very long (18") and the ferrule size is 12.5mm. After measuring both the ferrule itself and the joint collar I can say that it is more modified pro-taper than euro but does start moving up in size after about 3". Total weight of each shaft was about 3.7oz and were within two grams of being matched exactly. I know that may sound lighter but keep in mind the diameter of the shaft is smaller.

Tiger has created a "Katana" tip for this brand that that quite frankly is garbage and needs to be replaced as soon as the shaft is received. I contacted Tiger and was informed that the tip most similar to this one is an Everest which I believe is like comparing apples to oranges. Another note is that the first 1/8" of an inch was impregnated with some sort of odd waxy substance that would obviously slide right off of the cue ball. JUNK

Pros:
  • Super high quality manufacturing
  • Price! You can pick-up a brand new shaft on e-Bay for less than $159.00 shipped
  • Stiff hit even with a long taper and smaller diameter with great sound resonance
  • Great Playability and excellent cue ball control with very little effort
  • Very easy to adjust from solid maple to LD

Cons:
  • Made in China (I would say the same about other brands)
  • Tiger tip needs to be replaced immediately before playing
  • Only one year warranty provided

This will be my personal shaft of choice from this moment forward.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`ve been playing pool with my Katana shaft for about 10 hours and i agree. This shaft is as good as any LD shaft out there, but quite a bit cheaper than OB and Predator.
The feel and sound when hitting balls is better with the Katana shaft than with Predator and about equal to a OB shaft.

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
Update!

I changed the factory tips to Tiger Sniper and the combo really, really works well together.

As far as the review is concerned, I tried so many different shafts my head started spinning and my game took a nose dive which was expected. However, I thought maybe my opinions would help people who had the same problems as I had.

fireball

I love the katana shaft I have been using. I have not had problems with the tip that came on the shaft, so not changing it any time soon.

Sgtkillmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone else have any input to add? I am really debating on getting one of these, but want to know more specifically on how it deflects compared to an OB1? Thank you for your time.

ron3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't sell your 314/2 for a while.

Seems thats what I always go back to after I try the flavor of the month. I think the secret is to pick a shaft and stay with it. Just my 2 cents.:smile:

Sgtkillmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with one

I just received my katana shaft, and I paired it up with just a simple players' butt. (5/6 x 18 joint, implex). I have to say I really like the taper of this shaft, the diameter of the tip, and the way it hits. It hits very closely to a maple shaft and gives amazing feedback compared to other LD shafts. It isn't too rigid where the shaft won't budge when you hit, but feels lively and solid. Although the deflection is more than an OB1 and a predator, (it is less than a Lucas hybrid which is it's direct competitor in terms of price), I found it too be a perfect balance between feel and deflection.

One thing I do not like about the shaft is the tip (which is no fault to katana since Tiger produced it). It miscues horribly and doesn't produce as much action as a kamui tip, which is what I am used to.

Sgtkillmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucasi hybrid

I was referring to the 12.75mm, sorry for not specifying. The 11.75 mm shaft has really low deflection.

ilyk2win

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked one of these up as well as I did not like the "soft" feel of my OB1.

I like the smaller diameter (12.5) and I prefer the feedback it provides. I can move the cueball around and due to the feedback I seem to be more consistent than with the OB1.....but....I can't seem to draw the ball nearly as well with the Katana. Maybe the tip?

While I'm new to LD shafts, I think I can confidently say this is nowhere near as LD as the OB.

Overall, when holding just the shaft, it doesn't feel as high quality as the OB1, Predator, etc, nor does the joint when screwing it together.

Overall I am happy with the purchase, but only b/c of the great deal I got on it.

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
I'll report back now after playing with the shafts for a few months.

I read that someone thinks by holding the shaft in your hand it appears or feels to be lower quality? Maybe there was something wrong with the one you received because every single shaft I purchased was fantastic as far as fit and finish is concerned. The shafts were straight as an arrow and with the exception of the stock tip, perfect.

After a couple months the Katana shafts have done exactly what I needed them to do which is allow me to make the transition to OB Classic without feeling a shock of changing from standard maple to LD.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I love my ob classic I am gonna try the mezz wd700 but if I don't like it will go right back too the ob

wilkamania

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Katana LD Shaft Impressions

Just I'd add to this as well. I've been trying out the Ld shafts for quite some time, and always wanted to try to Katana.

I received my shaft as a trade. I promptly replaced the tip with a kamui medium brown.

Pros:
- good feedback and feel
- long long pro taper is definitely comfortable on closed bridge and rail bridge shots
- ball gets a lot of action

Cons:
- Not as LD as OB2 (my current shaft)
- Gets whippy on power strokes and seems to squirt more. But then again, I shouldn't be hitting the ball that hard all the time :). Not as prominent with center ball, but definitely shows with english
- long pro taper made it prone to slight taper roll. it's there and I'm picky, but it's not that bad.

All and all, not a bad shaft. If my OB2 wasn't modified, this would probably be primary shaft. For anyone looking to start in LD, this would be a great starter.