14.1 League - Make-up Match Rules ?

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey Guys,

I've had an ongoing delima on how to handle Make-Up Matches for my 14.1 League Seasons.

Currently i ask all players to get their matches played within a week of their cancelation or to play matches in advance if that works better, but as the season progresses the matches just keep stacking up. In the end i do keep track of who the person was that cancelled so if need be i will dish out the forfeit, but that can lead to foul play come the end with a player not wanting to spoil his/her own record or to lesson the chances of the opponent.

one of my league players suggested that the person that cancelled would get a 10 % or point adjustment in their handicap for that match, that also could lead to foul play.

What do you all think of possible rules i could put into play to solve this ongoing problem ?

Thanks In Advance
-Steve

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Get all entry monies up front like we do in our league. That way if your guys lag behind or even quit midseason they can't screw up the prize fund. It is a problems for some players but once you explain why they are easier to accept it.

We had the same problems in our league too. It is the only solution we have come up with. If players are serious about the game and your league they will have no problems with this approach. If a player balks at your reasoning you probably don't want them in the league. This has been my view. It is never easy pleasing all of the people all of the time.

Kevin

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys,

I've had an ongoing delima on how to handle Make-Up Matches for my 14.1 League Seasons.

Currently i ask all players to get their matches played within a week of their cancelation or to play matches in advance if that works better, but as the season progresses the matches just keep stacking up. In the end i do keep track of who the person was that cancelled so if need be i will dish out the forfeit, but that can lead to foul play come the end with a player not wanting to spoil his/her own record or to lesson the chances of the opponent.

one of my league players suggested that the person that cancelled would get a 10 % or point adjustment in their handicap for that match, that also could lead to foul play.

What do you all think of possible rules i could put into play to solve this ongoing problem ?

Thanks In Advance
-Steve
We had a 12 player straight pool league last year. Halfway through the 12 weeks, we had a player that had to drop out due to injury. The only fair way to handle it in my opinion was to eliminate him from the results altogether, and any previous matches that player had played against other league players was deleted from the results as if it was never played.

We allowed our players to schedule to play their matches in advance if they wanted to, or could schedule their make-up matches after the week they were scheduled to play, but I told them if they were not caught up with all their matches by the end of the final week, they would be removed from the final results, and would not be allowed to participate in the next 14.1 league we set up.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish we could get enough players for that to be a rel concern, We generally only have 8-12 players. We play each session as a round robin format where every player plays each other once. We do not have playoffs, but rather split our group into A an B "divisions" and pay off winner of each (A is generally handicap above 100 balls; B below that. We are pretty evenly split.). I state this because without playoffs it is easy to schedule 2-3 weeks between sessions as open allowing time for make-up matches. Probably does not help you though!

Years back I played in a robust league - probably 36+ players. If you did not show for a match without calling opponent it was a forfeit. This was a points based league, and if you forfeited you received no points (or very minimal - I really cannot remember. You still payed into the pot though. If it was a planned cancellation, you had until like two weeks prior to season end to make it up. The onus was on the player who had to cancel. If not made up, it was ruled a forfeit and scored as such.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The leagues I play in use a random drop-in format. You show up on Monday night and are matched up with whoever is there. If you arrive late and someone wants to play a second match, that's fine. You need a minimum number of matches in the season to make the playoffs where most of the prize money is.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Steve,
Here is a copy of our league forfeit policy from our bylaws:
Forfeits:
If a rescheduled match is not played within a two-week period, a forfeit (0-3) would be added to both players involved. In the event of a medical emergency or extended absence, an appeal must be submitted to the league administrator seeking exemption from this rule.
Any player who has not shown up within 60 minutes of a scheduled match, or does not notify his opponent of the need to reschedule before 5:00 pm the day of the match shall forfeit the match. This forfeit shall result in a forfeit score (0-3) for the no-show and a win score (3-0) for the player who was present. Handicaps shall not change as a result of the forfeit. The player forfeiting shall be responsible for both players’ league fees for the forfeited match. All matches not completed by the end of the session shall be forfeited.
Any player that has two no-show forfeits shall be warned that an additional no-show forfeit shall require he be dropped from the league.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
The Red Shoes leagues avoid forfeits to the maximum extent possible. Usually we have none. I'll explain.

These are round robin leagues where everybody plays everybody else once. Toward the end of the session I pick out who the possible money winners are (the top 25% of the field) and I urge everybody to make sure that they play their games with those potential winners (prize money is determined by the number of wins).

Most players don't need any special encouragement to play all their games but there are always some who get too far behind and it becomes obvious that they will not be able to play all of them. In those cases I contact those players and tell them to make sure they play all the potential winners and to skip the other games if they can't get to them. In one of the leagues I also penalize for unplayed games to make the top finishers prize fund what it would have been if all games had been played.

If a player can't even get to some of the potential winners games I will usually drop them from the league and wipe out all their results, and make a note to not invite them back unless they had a good reason for falling so far behind, like a medical condition. In some cases I have let them back in if they make a good faith promise that this time will be different and they will play all their games.

I have occasionally used forfeits in the non-handicapped league when a potential money winner can't get an opponent to schedule, but only if it's obvious who would win. If a player who will be in the top 8, for example, can't get the 12th ranked player to play, I will allow extra time for the game to be scheduled or, in the extreme, drop the 12th ranked player and wipe out all his results. I don't recall ever having to drop a player in this situation, however. Allowing extra time has always worked. If the unable-to-schedule game is between a top 8 player and the 25th ranked player, however, then it is certain who would win and I may use a forfeit if all else fails. That's a nice thing about straight pool to 125 - there isn't a lot of luck involved. The 25th ranked player is not going to luck a win against a top 8 player (at least not our top 8).

In the handicapped league I can't make a judgment about who would win because handicaps equalize things. In that case I try to avoid a forfeit at all costs. I don't feel it's fair to give free wins when other potential money winners have had to play that person and may have lost to him.

Getting all the meaningful games played has always been something of a hassle, but usually just a minor one. Straight pool players are pretty reliable.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
The Red Shoes leagues avoid forfeits to the maximum extent possible. Usually we have none. I'll explain.

These are round robin leagues where everybody plays everybody else once. Toward the end of the session I pick out who the possible money winners are (the top 25% of the field) and I urge everybody to make sure that they play their games with those potential winners (prize money is determined by the number of wins).

Most players don't need any special encouragement to play all their games but there are always some who get too far behind and it becomes obvious that they will not be able to play all of them. In those cases I contact those players and tell them to make sure they play all the potential winners and to skip the other games if they can't get to them. In one of the leagues I also penalize for unplayed games to make the top finishers prize fund what it would have been if all games had been played.

If a player can't even get to some of the potential winners games I will usually drop them from the league and wipe out all their results, and make a note to not invite them back unless they had a good reason for falling so far behind, like a medical condition. In some cases I have let them back in if they make a good faith promise that this time will be different and they will play all their games.

I have occasionally used forfeits in the non-handicapped league when a potential money winner can't get an opponent to schedule, but only if it's obvious who would win. If a player who will be in the top 8, for example, can't get the 12th ranked player to play, I will allow extra time for the game to be scheduled or, in the extreme, drop the 12th ranked player and wipe out all his results. I don't recall ever having to drop a player in this situation, however. Allowing extra time has always worked. If the unable-to-schedule game is between a top 8 player and the 25th ranked player, however, then it is certain who would win and I may use a forfeit if all else fails. That's a nice thing about straight pool to 125 - there isn't a lot of luck involved.

In the handicapped league I can't make a judgment about who would win because handicaps equalize things. In that case I try to avoid a forfeit at all costs. I don't feel it's fair to give free wins when other potential money winners have had to play that person and may have lost to him.

Getting all the meaningful games played has always been something of a hassle, but usually just a minor one. Straight pool players are pretty reliable.