Lucasi Hybrid, best bang for the buck?

Miatch

Registered
Currently I play with a older Predator 8K1.
I like the way the Predator plays but mine isn't the best looking.
Seyberts has a deal where you get a free Air Hog jump cue purchase a Lucasi Hybrid
over about $332.
Like this:http://www.seyberts.com/products/Lucasi_Hybrid_Majestic_LHE20-100071-317.html

I've played with a Lucasi Hybrid at my local hall and it plays nice.

I'm curious on quality, will the Lucasi hold up well?

Any Lucasi Hybrid owners that have been using one for a while, I would love to hear your opinions.

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seyberts has a deal where you get a free Air Hog jump cue purchase a Lucasi Hybrid
over about $332.
Like this:http://www.seyberts.com/products/Lucasi_Hybrid_Majestic_LHE20-100071-317.html

Any Lucasi Hybrid owners that have been using one for a while, I would love to hear your opinions.
Not sure about their overall quality, but I agree with you on their playability.

I play with a custom and if I were to buy a new production cue, I have to admit that there would be several other brands I would look to first. But, with that being said, I picked a demo Lucasi up at my local billiards showroom just to knock a couple balls around on one of their tables and I made everything it. It played really nice and I was pleasantly surprised.

suharsh

Registered
over about $332.

I own one and got some friends Lucasi Hybrids too. For the price they are good. I do like the soft grip. At times I do keep coming back to the Lucasi. The only thing I don't like about them is the 'Uniloc' ... at times it becomes loose during play time. I own a Lucasi Break cue too. I do believe they have life time warranty.

Miatch

Registered
Thanks for the replies.If money didn't matter I'd buy another Predator but I think the Lucasi is plenty of stick for me.

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with a Hybrid for about 6 months and like it. The pivot point on the shaft for backhand english is very usable and it hits well. My only complaint is that the printed design marks on the soft grip have begun to wear off where my hand goes.

Matt IBO

Registered
I know this is old now but for anyone looking down the road it might help. I love my lucasi and have had two now and the only thing I will say is don't get the sport grip. That is the only thing that will not last.

MDSPHOTO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is old now but for anyone looking down the road it might help. I love my lucasi and have had two now and the only thing I will say is don't get the sport grip. That is the only thing that will not last.

I guess the question is can Lucasi replace the rubber grip, like a golf club, when it wears out. If not, the rubber wrapped hybrid cues become like most other things in today's society...............Disposable.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll see here http://www.reddit.com/r/billiards/comments/38oupt/my_name_is_jennifer_barretta_from_the_new_pool/ that Jennifer Barretta plays with one. That may or may not mean something depending on who you are.

As well as Thorsten Hohmann using a Lucasi hybrid Hitman LHT87, and LHT88

I tried a lucasi some years ago and felt it had a nice feedback in it and after watching some youtubes and watching a draw shot by Thorsten playing against Cory Duel from one dead straight end of the table to the other backed up by being near the rail drew it completely without a sweat

I believe this is the youtube https://youtu.be/mvNM18SR8P0

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with a Lucasi Hybrid for the last five years, and just changed it out for a Schon last week. (Reunited! ☺)

The LH's do indeed play well at a bargain price, but take heed to what some of the other posters have said. Beware the sport grip! It will not last!

Additionally, when you speak of bang for the buck, don't forget to consider resale value, unless this will be the last cue you will ever own. In that regard, I don't see Lucasi Hybrids holding up like some of the top end production cue makers.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucasi Hybrid convert

I unexpectedly LOVED with the Lucasi rubber grip and everyone who shot with it said the same, it makes it feel like it's impossible for the cue to move anywhere but where your hand wants it to go.

The 12.75mm hybrid shaft it came with was nice, decent feel, but I knew from the start I wasn't going to play it.

I also have the Lucasi Slim hybrid shaft. Iwas very apprehensive about the slim shaft when I ordered the cue because it's listed as a 'euro slim taper' and I've never liked conical tapers.

It isn't actually a euro/conical taper, it's a short pro taper of maybe 8-9 inches and very mildly tapers up after that. It's actually a really nice taper, I've found 8-9 inches of pro taper is plenty on a skinny shaft, long enough for my bridge length when I'm shooting closed bridge and if I have to bridge longer than that it's usually because I'm stretching for a shot where I have to open bridge anyway and the taper rise doesn't affect much. The only drawback is if I want to bridge long for a power draw shot or powerful force follow I'll run out of pro taper, but the cue is so easy to stroke clean I actually have no trouble generating extra draw/follow with a normal bridge length and just accelerating my stroke harder than normal. Not whippy at all, and still puts all the spin you want on the ball and none of the spin you don't, very good to find in a skinny shaft.

CONCLUSION

So yes, I highly recommend Lucasi Hybrids. I do wish that retailers would offer the option of the Zero Flex-Point Slim shaft on all models so you don't have to order it separately and/or buy the Hohmann fanboy cue to get the slim shaft.

Last edited:

Miatch

Registered
Wow, thank you for such a well-written and informative review.
I have still been dragging my feet in making a purchase and since you mentioned Pechauer, I am interested in how you would compare the two in quality and playability.
I would rather buy an American made cue.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have still been dragging my feet in making a purchase and since you mentioned Pechauer, I am interested in how you would compare the two in quality and playability.
I would rather buy an American made cue.

The Pechauers are made well enough but a little plain. A lot of people like them and until I got those two Lucasi cues, I had kept a Pechauer as my playing cue, selling off Mezz and Vikings. I think they're slightly back-heavy but that was easy to fix and delivers a nice solid hit, if a bit traditional. That said, for the price they aren't exactly packed with technology, if that's your thing, and they also don't approach the feel or feedback of Mezz or DP cues.

The pins are proprietary. You will almost never find an aftermarket shaft already tapped for them, except from Pechauer themselves. And my experience with buying the P+ Lite laminated LD shaft from them was frustrating, the wood of the shaft was too soft, the grain opened up and quickly got caked in tons of dirt and grime, got nicked and dented within weeks, and within a few months had warped beyond playability. Very good action from the shaft, though, could masse the piss out of the ball with my eyes closed, but the warping just got out of hand.

Maybe I just got a bad example, and playing long late nights in a rough bar hastened the shaft's demise but that was still disappointing. As you can imagine I was not encouraged to stick with buying Pechauer because it required me to be married to Pechauer-made shafts. However, I put the standard maple shaft back on and used it as a break cue and it really worked well for that.

For US-made cues, if you want a ton of high-end craftsmanship for your money and like a more traditional maple shaft, try out Dale Perry cues. I think they're radial pins although DP calls them something special, they have a great feel, and excellent wood selection, the wood feels very alive, in a way you really only saw in older cues - that quality of wood is hard to find in modern shafts.

Edit: I suppose I should mention - your stroke style will likely have a lot of influence on what a cue feels like to you. I found the Pechauer worked better when I loosened up and took more of a flowing motion, experimenting with SVB-style cue delivery. A guy on my team has a big relaxed stroke and works his Pechauer very well. Using that same stroke on something like the LHT87 would probably be frustrating without a lot of practice, my own stroke is snooker-ish and minimalist, I guess Feijen would be a good comparison, which is not what a lot of American players opt for.

Last edited: