Help me pick a cue: Mezz, OB, Schon?

Which cue

• Mezz EC

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • OB 123

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Schon STL1

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Insert name of <500$ custom thats better for my needs here.

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
Im looking to pick up a new playing cue. I had a Scruggs SP for like 12 years, and sold it now can't afford to replace it. I loved the hit on that cue, firm with a ping, but wood to wood joint.

I currently have a 2001 BCM SP which is a really solid cue, but I want to retire it and move on (it was my dad's who has now passed, so I wanna put it away). I am looking for something with a stiff, ping type hit, but I have only ever owned one SS joint cue and I am not sure I want to make that big adjustment. I would like some deflection help as well. Also want a cue with a wrap. Ive owned a couple of predators and still haven't had one I like, so they are off the list. Basically looking for a solid, stiff players cue that flys under the radar.

Options so far:

Mezz EC7-P: Purpleheart is supposed to play a bit stiffer so I am leaning in this direction, not sure if this cue is cored or not. Pretty sure the WD700 will be fine, but not sure how much deflection help there is there. Main concern here is the 'united' joint, so if I dont like the shaft I am limited in resale and buying other used shafts to test.

OB-123 with the Classic Plus shaft. From all of my reading, the OB Classic Plus shaft is what I am looking for. Some reviews say OB cues hit 'soft' in general though, and I am not sure this shaft is enough to make up for it.

Schon STL1: I havent hit a Schon since the mid 90s so I have no idea which way the quality went, but i still hear good things. I know this cue will deliver the stiff 'ping' I am looking for, but I am not sure how I will adjust to the SS joint.

All of these are in the mid 400$ price range. Im not really interested in used cues right now, I just got screwed over pretty good on one - this time I want a warranty.

Last edited:

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the Omen Deluxe Sneaky Petes offered for sale by Jazznpool. You simply can't get a better playing cue for the money.

d.sommers

VNEA member
Silver Member
I used to shoot with radial or 3/8x10 wood to wood jointed cues. I have an ebony schon STL-1 and I switch between an OB and predator shaft. I don't think I would even consider a non-stainless jointed cue anymore. My vote is Schon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So confused. Hit with a schon today, also hit with a OB Classic + on my radial joint predator vs my 314-2. They all just felt solid. I could tell a difference, but it was not what I was expecting. Of course they were all unchalked so I couldn't really evaluate anything other than hit.

I guess maybe the sound/feel I am looking for is some memory that isn't 100% accurate, and probably skewed by owning a Scruggs for 12 years or something.

Maybe I will just stick with what I have for the time being...

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spend $100.00 & get Schmelke Sneaky Pete,as good a PLAYER as anything out there.I know that is hard for some to believe or admit !!!

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

I currently have all 3 cues and Mezz WX700 (not WD).

They are all good. On big tables I prefer Mezz, on small bar tables I play best with OB classic shaft.

With Schon I do best bank shots.

Best quality is by far Mezz (joint, finish etc..).

You cant go wrong, just spend some time with a cue of your choice, set weight and choose right tip for you and remember it needs at least 2 months to get maximum of your cue.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go with Mezz.
I tried once a Mezz cue, that have a ping sound, you mentioned about, the cue hits awesome. Well it was a Mezz Exceed cue, an expensive one.
Generally there will be no problem using any 5/16x14 shaft on Mezz United joint butt.

MalibuMike

Banned
It's Schon, no one else comes close! Tiger Pro-x Shaft and your set!

It's Schon, no one else comes close! Tiger Pro-x Shaft and your set!
I HAVE 3 stl-15's they all hit awesome, and they have a classic look!
I HAVE a MEZZ Deep Impact (Ash) break shaft on my gray-stained Schon.
For playing shafts there is some debate, I like the Tiger Pro-X.

Attachments

• user71166_pic15223_1429131357.jpg
    user71166_pic15223_1429131357.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,481

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
If you buy the Mezz or OB, it will be worth lonely half of what you paid for it when yu get it home. There are a lot of used cues of E-bay for under $500.00. I have a great playing used JD Cue, that I got for under $500.00. Butt is straight, one shaft is straight, one shaft is warped but play able. If I want OB will take the nice ring off the warped shaft and put it on an OB Classic for me.

mrhawg

Get a schon have the taper extended to 20 inch's and replace the tip with kamui black soft you will love it.had mine done at cheapcues by Jim

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz, for Japanese quality and mass market availability. The WX700 shaft it comes seems to be nice, too.

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go for a Bob Frey sneaky pete, he helped Tim make most of his sneaky pete cues and will probably play exactly the same as your Scruggs did and it should be under 500$ easy.

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Im looking to pick up a new playing cue. I had a Scruggs SP for like 12 years, and sold it now can't afford to replace it. I loved the hit on that cue, firm with a ping, but wood to wood joint.

I currently have a 2001 BCM SP which is a really solid cue, but I want to retire it and move on (it was my dad's who has now passed, so I wanna put it away). I am looking for something with a stiff, ping type hit, but I have only ever owned one SS joint cue and I am not sure I want to make that big adjustment. I would like some deflection help as well. Also want a cue with a wrap. Ive owned a couple of predators and still haven't had one I like, so they are off the list. Basically looking for a solid, stiff players cue that flys under the radar.

Options so far:

Mezz EC7-P: Purpleheart is supposed to play a bit stiffer so I am leaning in this direction, not sure if this cue is cored or not. Pretty sure the WD700 will be fine, but not sure how much deflection help there is there. Main concern here is the 'united' joint, so if I dont like the shaft I am limited in resale and buying other used shafts to test.

OB-123 with the Classic Plus shaft. From all of my reading, the OB Classic Plus shaft is what I am looking for. Some reviews say OB cues hit 'soft' in general though, and I am not sure this shaft is enough to make up for it.

Schon STL1: I havent hit a Schon since the mid 90s so I have no idea which way the quality went, but i still hear good things. I know this cue will deliver the stiff 'ping' I am looking for, but I am not sure how I will adjust to the SS joint.

All of these are in the mid 400$ price range. Im not really interested in used cues right now, I just got screwed over pretty good on one - this time I want a warranty.

The Classic Plus are a solid firm hit, if you want a softer hit the OB1 or 2 is a softer hit.