someone told me blue simonis plays faster than green simonis..is he crazy ?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
One more question on this topic of table speed. Does ball cleaning solvents make the table play faster by changing the ball friction coefficient???

I always thought that the use of ball cleaners do funny things to the table speed and amount of skids .

Kd

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker

Keeping the balls clean won't make the table play faster than it already is, but it will make moving the balls around much easier by reducing the friction in which makes them play sluggish.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Keeping the balls clean won't make the table play faster than it already is, but it will make moving the balls around much easier by reducing the friction in which makes them play sluggish.

This I completely disagree with. Clean and slick balls roll further. Period.

_______

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This I completely disagree with. Clean and slick balls roll further. Period.

_______

So, you have a freshly recovered table, with new balls, and you clean the balls....then they'll roll further? No, nothing you do can make a table play faster or balls roll further than the cloth and table is capable of in the first place, BUT when a cloth breaks in, to maintain it's best playabilitys....you keep it clean. When new balls are no longer new, you clean them to make them react as close to new as they can. So yes, clean balls will roll further than dirty balls, but the balls and cloth will never play as easy and fast as they do when in new condition, but YES you can maintain as close to new conditions with maintenance.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have blue Simonis 860HR on my Gold Crown 4 table and I love it. My favorite game is 14.1 as well. I hope I didn't discover the love for this game too late in life as I can't get enough of the game especially on my table.

Kevin

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
could the ball cleaner or cloth cleaner soak into the cloth and make the table play like ice capades???

only reason i ask or mention is a local room owner got the bright idea to put scotch guard on the cloth to protect against spilled drinks.

Of course, the spray cans resulted in uneven application. the end result was really fast cloth and balls rolling for days. It was slow some spots here and fast spots over there. That is my concern with the cleaning items for both balls and cloth. it was so bad that pro players stopped coming in and boycotted the pool room. it was that bad. Place is no longer there and it was in a great location.

KD

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
could the ball cleaner or cloth cleaner soak into the cloth and make the table play like ice capades???

only reason i ask or mention is a local room owner got the bright idea to put scotch guard on the cloth to protect against spilled drinks.

Of course, the spray cans resulted in uneven application. the end result was really fast cloth and balls rolling for days. It was slow some spots here and fast spots over there. That is my concern with the cleaning items for both balls and cloth. it was so bad that pro players stopped coming in and boycotted the pool room. it was that bad. Place is longer there and it was in a great location.

KD

Had a pool room in Renton, WA called Harvey's. Room owner took pride in the fact that when he recovered the tables with Simonis 760, he could stretch the cloth 6" wide, he'd spray cans of schotch guard on the cloth to the point of it being soaking wet, then stretch and installed while still wet. He believed the cloth once dried, would shrink back tight as hell...only, it never did. You could slide your bridge hand on the cloth and it would create a wave in the cloth right in front of your hand. The cloth would roll the balls forever, but had no life in it. Any english on the cue ball would die almost immediately to the point that drawing the cue ball back required twice the effort. The balls never rolled fast, just seemed like they rolled like a golf ball on a fresh cut green. Breaking the balls playing 9b was a joke, half the balls would fly around the table, the other half stayed right in the rack area. So yes, any cleaners that are used to clean the cloth other than woolite and hot water with a rag wrung out tightly....can and will effect the playing surface.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
So, you have a freshly recovered table, with new balls, and you clean the balls....then they'll roll further? No, nothing you do can make a table play faster or balls roll further than the cloth and table is capable of in the first place, BUT when a cloth breaks in, to maintain it's best playabilitys....you keep it clean. When new balls are no longer new, you clean them to make them react as close to new as they can. So yes, clean balls will roll further than dirty balls, but the balls and cloth will never play as easy and fast as they do when in new condition, but YES you can maintain as close to new conditions with maintenance.
You have DIRTY balls at home on a freshly recovered table. Then you clean and polish the balls. They will then roll further. It's self-evident.

In your bad example of NEW BALLS. Guess what? The new balls are already clean. The correct example is to compare dirty balls versus freshly cleaned and/or polished balls.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You have DIRTY balls at home on a freshly recovered table. Then you clean and polish the balls. They will then roll further. It's self-evident.

In your bad example of NEW BALLS. Guess what? The new balls are already clean. The correct example is to compare dirty balls versus freshly cleaned and/or polished balls.

Why are you trying to be argumentative? When you clean dirty balls....there isn't a pool player on earth that wouldn't believe they'll play better. AND when you clean the balls, are you not in fact, trying to restore the balls to play like they did when new?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
fwiw
should not come as a surprise
i called simonis and asked the sales person if the different colors played differently and was told absolutely no
only the different types of simonis ie 860/860hr/760 etc play diferently