Klenti Kaci - play faster

moose man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching the kid play. Yes, he is very deliberate at all times, but I don't find it bothersome that all and don't think it's excessive. If he were picking lint off the table and letting his mind wander it would probably be a different story, but you can see him doing the textbook routine every time, planning position zone three balls ahead (and planning the whole run at the beginning). In the video clip attached here he has eight balls left on the table and takes a little less than eight minutes to finish the rack, I don't think it's too grueling to watch.

I do agree that if he went from an average of just under a minute a shot to maybe 40 seconds it would be more entertaining for the average spectator, but I suspect as the 18 year old kid is playing absolutely world-class pool he doesn't concern himself too awful much with making it most ideal for the spectator. Nor should he. The lion doesn't concern himself with what the impala thinks.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say let him play as slow or fast as he likes. If there's a ref in the house then let the ref call time if his slow play is considered gamesmanship. If there's a shot clock of x seconds then let him shoot immediately or on the x second limit. If there's neither then live and let live.

In my experience players who complain about opponent's slow play (when it really isn't slow play and is about 20s per shot) lack confidence themselves and need to shoot as fast as their mouth.

If it's like watching paint dry for you, watch it on 1.25x speed or faster and if you still don't enjoy it maybe you should watch speed pool.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say let him play as slow or fast as he likes. If there's a ref in the house then let the ref call time if his slow play is considered gamesmanship. If there's a shot clock of x seconds then let him shoot immediately or on the x second limit. If there's neither then live and let live.

In my experience players who complain about opponent's slow play (when it really isn't slow play and is about 20s per shot) lack confidence themselves and need to shoot as fast as their mouth.

If it's like watching paint dry for you, watch it on 1.25x speed or faster and if you still don't enjoy it maybe you should watch speed pool.
So you would be okay with an opponent taking 5 minutes per shot?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
within the rules? yes

hater stop hating

At least the haters are being honest. You, on the other hand, are not.

You say you'd be okay if your opponent took 5 minutes each shot. So you break dry and scratch. After 45 minutes, your opponent has run out, and won the first game.

Even if runs out the set, making one ball on the break each time. A race to 11 would have taken over 7 hours.

Yeah. You'd totally be okay with that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like the fact that he apparently thinks it's funny that the tournament director told him he plays too slow.

As someone who plays a pretty slow game of bar table 8 ball I've been apologetic in the past when I just couldn't figure out the pattern. Here we are talking about 9 ball! There's no good reason to ever play this slow. It is unwatchable for me and that's saying something.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you would be okay with an opponent taking 5 minutes per shot?

Common sense comes into play here. If my opponent takes 5 minutes per shot in then I don't bother playing that opponent. If it's a refereed match the ref will deal with it appropriately. If it's a non refereed, non- shot clock tournament match, a jerk who takes 5 minutes per shot won't be playing or if he is he won't play again as word gets around. If it's just a regular slow player as in the case discussed on this thread, then I don't see it as an issue.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My "get a life" remark was meant in jest, I certainly don't take any of this too seriously. I have watched many of Kaci's matches over the last couple of months and it never occurred to me he was playing "too slow". I did notice he had a more measured approach to each shot and his pace of play was not what mine was, but I am not him. What he is doing apparently works for him. If it is nerves and he needs to take that time every shot to help him get to a place where he knows he will execute the shot then so be it. I was taken aback a little at this thread at first, as it really didn't occur to me. I certainly can understand where your opinions are coming from, but I do not agree with them. I personally found what he was doing enjoyable to watch. If you didn't then go watch something else.

This thread really got me thinking of the relevance of time as it pertains to art. As a musician, the concept of time taken to produce or consume art is never more important than the art itself. The length of a song has zero importance to the quality of the content of the song. I certainly believe pool is a form of art. The problem is that some see it as a sort of a disposable or consumable art form. When art is geared more towards consumers than to artists the art is compromised. Look at pop music as an example. Expecting every pool match to meet your criteria of watchability as if it were a tv show on Netflix is unreasonable. If this kid is forced to conform to what standards of play you hold yourself to, and which are of no importance to anybody but you, then he is not performing his art, he is trying to perform your art. It does not matter how fast you would have shot that shot, you are not shooting it, it is not your art.

I do think a lot of this issue, slow vs. fast play, comes down to the watching individuals perception of and expectation of time itself. Some people need to learn to "stop and smell the roses" or "see the forest for the trees", or maybe they don't, it is their time after all. Expecting any other person on this planet to conform to whatever conventions and expectations you have is pointless and selfish. Nobody wants to be told they are selfish, but expecting someone to do something you want them to do only for the reason that you want it that way, is the definition of selfishness. If you don't like slow players then don't watch them. I don't know what else to tell you.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one more point I forgot to add. Kaci did not travel to Doha to entertain you. He traveled to Doha to try and become a world champion for himself, you never entered the equation. If pool ever finds away to become a regularly televised thing, players will certainly be expected to conform to some minimum convention of play, but until then they may play however they need to play to achieve their own personal goals not yours.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In one match his opponent made a statement by putting his coat on while it took Kaci 6 minutes to run 8 open balls
https://youtu.be/M0mO3owUlUY?t=8483

It didn't seem like a statement for his slow play, but one of concession. If you do something like that "as a statement" on your opponent you wouldn't be smiling so much when you shake hands. In my eyes it was like he was saying "he is NOT going to miss this rack, it's all over".

Don't get me wrong tho, I too believe that he needs to speed up a bit...

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
since it seems to appear that the majority of the people that replied that the kid shoots too slow, me included, then the solutions is plain simple. simply don't watch-watch someone else instead. if one has the urge to watch then there's always the fast forward button to speed it up.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As for the coat-on thing by his opponent, I suspect he simply was cold and didn't want to freeze up. Lots of players at the US Open 9-Ball this year were layering and unlayering depending on where the air vents were coming down.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My other sport of interest is Olympic Weightlifting. They just had their world championships two weeks ago. The lifters are broken up into body weight and gender classes.

The light weight lifters would immediately drape a heavy blanket after their attempt (and while waiting for their next attempt to be called) to keep warm.

In contrast:

The heavy weight lifters all had their coaches fanning them off to keep them cool between lift attempts.

It was interesting watching the competition from a pool player’s standpoint.