straight pool 3 foul role

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Not to doubt, you could be right. But, I think the old three ball foul is still the standard, which was the discussion.

But, do you recall, in either the 1989 or 1992 US Straight pool tournament, Chicago in 1989, and New York in 1992, the three ball foul was 30 points, rather than 15. I think it was 1992.

Love trivia.

All the best,
WW

Wow....I never knew that.

But I do know that the Dufferin Open in ‘91.....object ball off the table was not a foul.
I complained about it....and somebody listened.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not to doubt, you could be right. But, I think the old three ball foul is still the standard, which was the discussion.

But, do you recall, in either the 1989 or 1992 US Straight pool tournament, Chicago in 1989, and New York in 1992, the three ball foul was 30 points, rather than 15. I think it was 1992.

Love trivia.

All the best,
WW
For a while it was something like 20% of the game. Another fix that wasn't needed.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No -- there used to be a choice, but not for quite a few years now (at least in the WPA world-standardized rules and in the CSI rules). The player who committed the 3 successive fouls must re-break all 15 balls under opening break requirements.

yes, you are correct, sorry, i was thinking of the older BCA rules, there is a repack required now.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Love trivia.

All the best,
WW

Yes, iIbelieve it was 1992 - I was at both events and it was in NYC that Blatt Billiards was the sponsor at the old Roseland Dance Hall in NYC- it was a very odd place to hold a pool tournament- but it was almost abandoned by that point- so the rent was cheap!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yes, iIbelieve it was 1992 - I was at both events and it was in NYC that Blatt Billiards was the sponsor at the old Roseland Dance Hall in NYC- it was a very odd place to hold a pool tournament- but it was almost abandoned by that point- so the rent was cheap!

You're close, but not quite. Roseland Ballroom was the 2000 straight pool tournament, not 1992. 1992 was The Roosevelt Hotel, I believe.

1992 was won by Mike Sigel. 2000 was won by Ralph Souquet.

I think 1992 was when they had the 30 point rule for three fouls to keep play up to speed.

All the best,
WW

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're close, but not quite. Roseland Ballroom was the 2000 straight pool tournament, not 1992. 1992 was The Roosevelt Hotel, I believe.

1992 was won by Mike Sigel. 2000 was won by Ralph Souquet.

I think 1992 was when they had the 30 point rule for three fouls to keep play up to speed.

All the best,
WW

Thanks, I will check on that as somewhere i have all the entry stubs and commemorative handout booklets from all the major straight pool events held in NYC from the 1990's and the early 2000's. I know that some were also held at the Pennsylvania hotel near Madison Square Garden and one was held at Grand Central Terminal in Vanderbilt Hall! I think that you are correct on the Roosevelt as i remember having dinner with Jimmy Fusco near there one night. The US OPEN 14.1 revival held in Chicago in 1989at the Palmer House Hotel , though, was IMO, the BEST 14.1 event over the last 30 Years in terms of player participation- the MIZ, Varner, Siegel, Rempe, Liscotti, both Fusco's, Hopkins, DiLiberto, Matthews, West, Johnny Tona from Alabama who was from the REAL OLD 14.1 group ( he was friend of Willie Mosconi and Crane), Martin, to name a few- and of course the eventual and surprise WINNER - Oliver Ortmann- 19 years old, playing unconventional 14.1 patterns, and breaking out the racks in ways that the old guard considered way too risky- but it was truly a new era of pool blossoming.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, so let's say two players are exchanging deliberate fouls. At one point, player 1 is at 3 fouls and player 2 is at 2 fouls. Now player 1 has 15 points deducted, the balls are reracked and player 1 breaks like at the start of the match. So far so good. Normal play is resumed.

What most people forget is that player 2 is now still at two fouls! Am I right?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Okay, so let's say two players are exchanging deliberate fouls. At one point, player 1 is at 3 fouls and player 2 is at 2 fouls. Now player 1 has 15 points deducted, the balls are reracked and player 1 breaks like at the start of the match. So far so good. Normal play is resumed.

What most people forget is that player 2 is now still at two fouls! Am I right?

Correct, and one of the more important facets in straight pool is to keep track in your mind how many fouls your opponent is on. In the old days, we would always remind our opponent, "you're on two..." in a nice neutral voice, not to be nasty, but as a courtesy reminder. Possibly the job of the ref now, not sure. So few straight pool tournaments.

All the best,
WW

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think anyone who really plays straight pool forgets that.:p

I think they do (or maybe you're right, they don't really play straight pool...) but in the few instances I've seen it happen, it was considered a reset of the match and nobody thought of the two fouls of the opponent.

Correct, and one of the more important facets in straight pool is to keep track in your mind how many fouls your opponent is on. In the old days, we would always remind our opponent, "you're on two..." in a nice neutral voice, not to be nasty, but as a courtesy reminder. Possibly the job of the ref now, not sure. So few straight pool tournaments.

All the best,
WW
We also remind our opponent in that manner, I even think it only counts as a third foul if the player reminds the opponent of this as he walks up to the table to take his shot. At least, that's how we implemented this rule I think, same deal with the 3 foul rule in 9 ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW
You are now required to remind your opponent as he approaches the table with two fouls, just as at nine ball. If there is a referee, he is required to remind your opponent, but you may remind the ref of his duty. If there is a scoreboard and that scoreboard shows fouls, the warning is not required.