best tables?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hi all, new member here. I didn't see an "intro" area, so I'll jump in here.

I'll be looking for a used table in roughly 2-3 months. Have to pay for a family vacation this month!
I see allot of Golden West tables in the $700 and under range that I'm in. Most are pre 1992(?) as they are the" made in So. Cal" tables. No problem with that. Also, most seem to be a particular model, a "mission style", so I'm guessing much like the "into" model they offer today.

Room size is 15 X 25 ft, but my wife is opposed to a 9 ft table, so 8 footer it is. Darn it.

Thoughts on the quality? They do look solid.

I'd think three times first before I owned one.

jmiller81

Registered
Check with Olhausen Billards. They're the best for the money.

I completely agree, this is my 7 ft Olhausen, didnt cost me an arm, a leg, and my house either :) Lifetime warranty on everything but cloth (obviously)!:thumbup: Best cushions besides artimus(spelling?)

Also, if you do not recognize the name, or it says Brunswick (after 2005), then its made over seas :eek:

Attachments

• 403448_10150912290594690_792493813_n.jpg
    403448_10150912290594690_792493813_n.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 893
Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first have to admit that i have no experiance with Diamond tables. But i did help setting up over ten Gold Crown 4 and 5 tables a few weeks ago and the quality controll is terrible!
Screws to short, screws missing, metal fittings with razer sharp edges, cushions that 's drilled wrong so the factory had to make wood inserts etc.
For a $10.000 table that's not acceptable!
I don't know if Brunswick tables has always been like that or if this is a result of outsourcing, but it did make up my mind; when i buy a pool table it will be a Diamond table.

poolpaul

Registered
Pool Table

Olhausengo making Pool Tables within your budget.And they are selling many Series in Pool table and also they have their own technicians to repair the pool table professionally.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Olhausengo making Pool Tables within your budget.And they are selling many Series in Pool table and also they have their own technicians to repair the pool table professionally.

I would never buy an Olhausen, I almost made that mistake but a Gold Crown came along and saved me. They all have that cheap table type long rail and pocket design, if you looked at a lot of tables I think you will know exactly what I mean. Also they have terrible pocket shapes, pocket openings, and their commercial "PRO 9" table is no better. I played on a Pro Olhausen at a pool hall and would never waste my time going back because the tables were so awful.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Hmm never woulda gessed that table would be less than 10k
I played on a 7ft one yesterday and loved it

think ive been swayed from the ultra expensive new olhausen
6k? Im shooting for Christmas!

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for used Diamonds, be careful. I hate the red label tables. A few of them played really bad. The great news is is, you can buy a blue label top and not have to spring for a new table.

There is nothing better than a Diamond blue label. I've only played on one GC5, it's was good but the pockets were buckets and I hate that. I have yet to play on an Olhausen that played good and that included my brand new one that I bought years ago and the ones I've played on in several rooms around the country.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
As for used Diamonds, be careful. I hate the red label tables. A few of them played really bad. The great news is is, you can buy a blue label top and not have to spring for a new table.

There is nothing better than a Diamond blue label. I've only played on one GC5, it's was good but the pockets were buckets and I hate that. I have yet to play on an Olhausen that played good and that included my brand new one that I bought years ago and the ones I've played on in several rooms around the country.
Gold Crown I or II that have been restored by a really good mech play better imo.
Nobody has that tear shaped top rail like GC.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown I or II that have been restored by a really good mech play better imo.
Nobody has that tear shaped top rail like GC.

You could be right about the recalibrated GC's. They play great. The only issue I have with those tables is you still have crappy rubber $hit that gets on your shaft. The flush Diamond leather pocket moldings are wonderful.

ron3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Olhausen

I am68 years old and set up a lot of tables.I like brunswick and diamond but really think olhausen tables play better than anything out there.Ofcorse its all about the set up. Just my opinion

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I am68 years old and set up a lot of tables.I like brunswick and diamond but really think olhausen tables play better than anything out there.Ofcorse its all about the set up. Just my opinion

Olhausens are horrible imo.
The cushions are low and the corner pockets spit out balls.

alaskanadams

Registered
Olhausens are horrible imo.
The cushions are low and the corner pockets spit out balls.

I have no idea where or what table you've been playing on, but you have not played on my olhausen. It plays better than any table I've ever played on. And I grew up playing on gold crowns I & IIs. Sorry that you've not played on a "good" Olhausen. Also there is a pool hall around here with 24 diamond tables 7 & 9 footers, and my table plays better than any of them. What ever table you own or play on I hope you are as happy with it as I am with mine. BTW mine is a new 2014 montrechet...........accuguard cloth and lots of other options...........Have a great day..........