American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
This was formally the Maryland State 14.1 Championship. This year it is being held September 12th-14th in Midlothian, VA. Does anyone have any info on what players have signed up to play? It is normally a very strong field but with only 3 weeks to go it has been quiet with no mention of players.

http://americanstraightpool.com/index.html

Thanks for any info

Wedge

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Wedge,

Rumor has it that 2014 World 14.1 Tournament champion Darren Appleton may be playing this event. Will Thorsten Hohmann return to defend his title? Unsure at this point but maybe past Maryland 14.1 champions John Schmidt and Johnny Archer will snap it off!

Andy

Peter Burrows

Dear Wedge. This is Peter Burrows here. We have a nice website www.americanstraightpool.com and in fact this year's field is maybe the best ever in this our 10th year! Hard to believe. And my own 14.1 game only goes south, so that is where we have taken this year's tournament, to Diamond Billiards, Midlothian VA Sep 12-14. Owner Tom Dorsey has been fantastic! Really a top notch room in every way. Check out their website, also ours. Try and come. Encourage friends. Great format and a great tournament. 40 player RR so everyone plays all day and no one gets KO'd. Then 24 players advance to single elimination knock, put up or shut up. So watch. Best 14.1 players you'll ever see in one room. Seriously. Really only top play 14.1 players missing is Danny Harriman, one of the greatest ever. One or two others, SVB, but none really devoted to 14.1 as Danny has always been, The exact field, a few players are playing in Asia the week before but we expect to have them back. And two of the best ladies on the planet, Black Widow and Karen Corr. Not to mention all the Winners of the past 4 World 14.1 Tournaments, and two dozen other 200 ball runners. What else can I say. I think our website probably has the whole list. I seldom write to AZ, and for that I apologize. Thanks very much and you can contact me direct peterpool@comcast.net or Andy Lincoln on AZ. PeterPool still playing with the old historic Rambow! Thanks.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Peter, I make the pilgrimage every year. Great room, great staff and a very well run poolroom. This can be a second chance for the best 14.1 players to get a title. I'm hoping to see John Schmidt vs Darren Appleton in the finals. Thanks so much for making this happen. :)

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to Peter Burrows for giving us a second great 14.1 championship each year. Can't make it myself so I hope that there's a stream.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Commentators

That's great !!!:thumbup:

Is there going to be commentators ? The times I watched that stream in th past it was just a normal day of play that had audio with background sounds.

-Steve

Not sure but I do know Jerry Tarantola from NYCGrind is going down to cover the event! So at least we will get to see some great photo's!

Wedge

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We intend to have commentators for every match. Not sure who all it will be. I'm sure myself and Shaun Wilkie will do some. I think Bob Jewett will be there - maybe we'll talk him into it. Danny Barouty might do a match or 2. Maybe we can get Jeanette Lee to do a match.

Now if only we could get Gene Mann to keep track of the whole production!

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I know some might not like this suggestion, but I think get that other stream provider accustats and the world 14.1 used.... and charge us.

I say that for 2 reasons. 1 streamers deserve to be paid, and 2, good 14.1 is so rarely streamed, I hate to think of ustream locking up all the time.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Pretty Sporty Anticipated Field!!!

9/6/14 Expected player list:

Darren Appleton
Johnny Archer
Danny Barouty
Peter Burrows
Bobby Chamberlain
Kevin Clark
Karen Corr
Jeff Crawford
Mike Davis
Mike Dechaine
Alan Duty
Darren Frank
Michael Frank
Mika Immonen
Bob Jewett
Jason Klatt
Amit Kumar
Jeanette Lee
Andy Lincoln
Bob Madenjian
Bob Maidhoff
Danny Mastermaker
Sean Morgan
Dominic Noe
Don Polo
John Schmidt
Huidji See
Jayson Shaw
Brandon Shuff
Jerry Tarantola
Tom Walter
Shaun Wilkie
Michael Yednak

Wedge

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
we intend to have commentators for every match. Not sure who all it will be. I'm sure myself and shaun wilkie will do some. I think bob jewett will be there - maybe we'll talk him into it. Danny barouty might do a match or 2. Maybe we can get jeanette lee to do a match.

Now if only we could get gene mann to keep track of the whole production!

gene is da mann !!!!

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
Dear Wedge. This is Peter Burrows here. We have a nice website www.americanstraightpool.com and in fact this year's field is maybe the best ever in this our 10th year! Hard to believe. And my own 14.1 game only goes south, so that is where we have taken this year's tournament, to Diamond Billiards, Midlothian VA Sep 12-14. Owner Tom Dorsey has been fantastic! Really a top notch room in every way. Check out their website, also ours. Try and come. Encourage friends. Great format and a great tournament. 40 player RR so everyone plays all day and no one gets KO'd. Then 24 players advance to single elimination knock, put up or shut up. So watch. Best 14.1 players you'll ever see in one room. Seriously. Really only top play 14.1 players missing is Danny Harriman, one of the greatest ever. One or two others, SVB, but none really devoted to 14.1 as Danny has always been, The exact field, a few players are playing in Asia the week before but we expect to have them back. And two of the best ladies on the planet, Black Widow and Karen Corr. Not to mention all the Winners of the past 4 World 14.1 Tournaments, and two dozen other 200 ball runners. What else can I say. I think our website probably has the whole list. I seldom write to AZ, and for that I apologize. Thanks very much and you can contact me direct peterpool@comcast.net or Andy Lincoln on AZ. PeterPool still playing with the old historic Rambow! Thanks.

Mr. Burrows....It was a pleasure meeting you this past weekend. I want to applaud you for your efforts on a great tournament. You are a CLASS ACT Sir! While I did not get a chance to play in your tournament, I did attend every day and got a chance to watch quality straight pool played at a high level. Thank you for choosing to bring your tournament south to Diamond Billiards in Midlothian VA. Diamond Billiards, Thomas Dorsey and his family, and the staff got a chance to shine in a big way due to you. Your reputation and passion for this great game brought out many supporters and players. From HOF pro players, regional pros, established players with high run history, local players, billiard journalists and enthusiasts, and even one 11yo kid who will never forget his experience due to you, they all played with dignity, class, and professionalism. It is all because of the leadership qualities you and your staff possess. It was great to be able to see the action up close and personal. Hopefully, next year, I might have a chance to play as well.

Thank you again for your passion of this great game and you and your staff's effort in putting on a top notch tournament. It was awesome to see your RAMBOW up close and personal as well. It's not every day you see someone shooting with one. Most are collection queens. Straight shooting Sir. See you next year.

Mike