Consistency

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to get some advise on developing consistency in draws and follows. I realized doing the BU test training last night that I am absolutely horrible at my consistency.

What I have been doing thus far is pretty much always cuing the ball at about the same spot and just using my speed to adjust for the amount needed. I thought having at least that consistency (tip placement) would help. However, it is clear that I am not at all good at using speed consistently or "incrementally" enough to adjust say from a 5" draw/follow to a 12" draw/follow.

I have been working on the below things a lot lately
  1. 1. I am trying to develop a natural speed that I can then adjust from as needed by the shot. I would describe it as slightly faster than lag speed on a 7' table or lag speed on a 9' table. I thought this would help with my draw/follow the way I was doing it. FAIL
  2. 2. Using the above I am trying to always hit the object ball with a sliding cue ball during my practice.
  3. 3. Based on the above I am trying to learn the path of the cue ball after it makes contact with the object ball so I can fine tune my cue ball control.

I have heard of using tips, like 1/2 tip for each diamond you need but based on my #1 that only goes so far being I may be 5 diamonds away and need to draw it back 3 diamonds and there aren't 4 tips of draw to use so speed comes into play.

I guess in a nutshell, what should I concentrate on the most while practicing to get more consistent and how should I go about doing so?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to get some advise on developing consistency in draws and follows. I realized doing the BU test training last night that I am absolutely horrible at my consistency.

What I have been doing thus far is pretty much always cuing the ball at about the same spot and just using my speed to adjust for the amount needed. I thought having at least that consistency (tip placement) would help. However, it is clear that I am not at all good at using speed consistently or "incrementally" enough to adjust say from a 5" draw/follow to a 12" draw/follow.

1. 1. I am trying to develop a natural speed that I can then adjust from as needed by the shot. I would describe it as slightly faster than lag speed on a 7' table or lag speed on a 9' table. I thought this would help with my draw/follow the way I was doing it. FAIL
  2. 2. Using the above I am trying to always hit the object ball with a sliding cue ball during my practice.
  3. 3. Based on the above I am trying to learn the path of the cue ball after it makes contact with the object ball so I can fine tune my cue ball control.

I have heard of using tips, like 1/2 tip for each diamond you need but based on my #1 that only goes so far being I may be 5 diamonds away and need to draw it back 3 diamonds and there aren't 4 tips of draw to use so speed comes into play.

I guess in a nutshell, what should I concentrate on the most while practicing to get more consistent and how should I go about doing so?

Concentrate mostly on a very precise hit of the cb. While training, even look at the cb during your final stroke. Learn to hit precisely. Start by hitting the same speed, and try and have the cb come back the same every shot. If your speed is the same, and your distance of draw varies, you are not hitting the cb precisely.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Yes!

Concentrate mostly on a very precise hit of the cb. While training, even look at the cb during your final stroke. Learn to hit precisely. Start by hitting the same speed, and try and have the cb come back the same every shot. If your speed is the same, and your distance of draw varies, you are not hitting the cb precisely.

Yes! Almost word for word the response I was about to offer!

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was having the same problems.
2 part solution:
- get a new cue (different one!) to have some kind of "differential" to feel the hits. Even if it's a cheap Players with a good shaft. If you play with a soft one get a harder one and vice versa.
Exchange cues after each 9 ball game or every 10 practise strokes. This will make you notice the hit better.
- play Carom for a while on a 7" table. The consistent tables (heated etc) mean that you actually can repeat strokes 1:1, the smaller tables force you to be extra sensitive.

Still this will take about 6 week to have a noticeable impact.
And: watch Tor Lowry's videos about the fundamentals of the stroke and grip.

EDIT: Yes, I'm all for creative solutions ;)

Good luck!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Progressive draw and follow drills like the following are very good ways to practice:

Progressive Drills from Bob Jewett's SF Billiards Academy

Stop/Follow/Draw Drills at Dr. Dave's Instructional Resources

pj
chgo

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
2 part solution:
- get a new cue (different one!) to have some kind of "differential" to feel the hits. Even if it's a cheap Players with a good shaft. If you play with a soft one get a harder one and vice versa.
Exchange cues after each 9 ball game or every 10 practise strokes. This will make you notice the hit better.
- play Carom for a while on a 7" table. The consistent tables (heated etc) mean that you actually can repeat strokes 1:1, the smaller tables force you to be extra sensitive.

Good luck!

I have to disagree. Changing cues has rarely if ever helped anyone improve. It's not about the piece of wood in your hands. It's about what the player does with it. Consistency comes from doing the same things the same way every time. Rock solid stroke mechanics and pre-shot/shooting routines is the only way.
Steve

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I have to disagree. Changing cues has rarely if ever helped anyone improve. It's not about the piece of wood in your hands. It's about what the player does with it. Consistency comes from doing the same things the same way every time. Rock solid stroke mechanics and pre-shot/shooting routines is the only way.
Steve

Steve,

Your first sentence is extremely presumptive. I know quite a few that have improved by making a cue change. Amateur golfers often get significant improvement by getting fit for a set of clubs & pool is similar. If one has a cue that they never think about then that is the cue for them, but if they are getting 'bad vibes' from a cue then that can be affecting their focus, concentration, & confidence. Some cues have larger butts than others. Some are weighted well forward or rearward than others. There is nothing wrong with experimenting with different cues to find one that 'feels' right to an individual & it might be a $40 cue which is more economical than most lessons.

That said, lessons can be a good thing for some too.

I hope you see & understand my points.

Best,
Rick

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Rick, but I disagree with you too (what a surprise! :D). Once again you have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes: "Getting a new cue" as an alternative to good instruction is just plain silly. If you don't know how to USE the cue, it won't matter what you change to. If you DO know how to use the cue, changing cues won't matter either, because you should be able to play with anything. Lessons...good ones...are invaluable in improving your ability, no matter how good (or bad) you play.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Steve,

Your first sentence is extremely presumptive. I know quite a few that have improved by making a cue change. Amateur golfers often get significant improvement by getting fit for a set of clubs & pool is similar. If one has a cue that they never think about then that is the cue for them, but if they are getting 'bad vibes' from a cue then that can be affecting their focus, concentration, & confidence. Some cues have larger butts than others. Some are weighted well forward or rearward than others. There is nothing wrong with experimenting with different cues to find one that 'feels' right to an individual & it might be a $40 cue which is more economical than most lessons.

That said, lessons can be a good thing for some too.

I hope you see & understand my points.

Best,
Rick

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
2 part solution:

Good luck!
pooltchr:
Steve
I think M.G. might have been making a different point - an interesting one if I understand it. Sounds to me like he's saying take advantage of "new cue syndrome" - the well known phenomenon where your attention is more focused on how you're hitting the CB when you're playing with a different cue than usual.

pj <- could be wrong - in which case it's MY interesting idea...
chgo

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds to me like he's saying take advantage of "new cue syndrome" - the well known phenomenon where your attention is more focused on how you're hitting the CB when you're playing with a different cue than usual.

Exactly :thumbup: And this can and should be forced by changing your cue regularly when doing this kind of practise.
I know that this is not a popular opinion to have (because pool players still live in 1960 still and no, I don't like Mr. Mosconi), but other crafts use this sensation.
Guitar players use this regularly, too - practising on a completely different guitar.

Taking lessons with defined drills is also fine and can lead to a result faster, of course.
My method is more fun because buying a new cue is more fun ;) You'll have to do the drill afterwards still, but hey you've got a new cue :p

Give it a try!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Sorry Rick, but I disagree with you too (what a surprise! :D). Once again you have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes: "Getting a new cue" as an alternative to good instruction is just plain silly. If you don't know how to USE the cue, it won't matter what you change to. If you DO know how to use the cue, changing cues won't matter either, because you should be able to play with anything. Lessons...good ones...are invaluable in improving your ability, no matter how good (or bad) you play.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

A long post retracted.

I'll just say that it seems you may not be capable of seeing nor understand the points...or... you were just trying to promote yourself so as to market & 'advertise' your wares.

Pool is way way behind Golf, Tennis & even Baseball when it comes to the manufacture & fitting of equipment. Even instructional lessons are way behind Golf, Tennis, & Baseball with only a few exceptions.

You have a nice day, now that you've inserted into & twisted what I actually said. You've not change.

PS I know the improvement that I've seen for more than a few during my 50 years of playing when someone merely gets a cue that 'feels' better to them & as I originally said, lessons can be a good thing too.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly :thumbup: And this can and should be forced by changing your cue regularly when doing this kind of practise.
I know that this is not a popular opinion to have (because pool players still live in 1960 still and no, I don't like Mr. Mosconi), but other crafts use this sensation.
Guitar players use this regularly, too - practising on a completely different guitar.

Taking lessons with defined drills is also fine and can lead to a result faster, of course.
My method is more fun because buying a new cue is more fun ;) You'll have to do the drill afterwards still, but hey you've got a new cue :p

Give it a try!

I agree about the cues. I carry one cue when taking the subway to the City and another cue when I drive. Even though both cues have Predator shafts, they still play very differently, and I do find myself paying attention to the feel of the hit more when I switch. I also experience something similar when I switch ball sets between different pool rooms.

But like you also wrote, it's not just the equipment change. You have to do the work as well.

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consistency is the primary goal in nearly all of my instruction. To increase consistency, reduce any unnecessary movements in your fundamentals. Try to stay extremely still on your final stroke. Use structured practice to build good mechanical habits, and you will certainly become more consistent with time.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Suggestion: If you're going to practice hitting the cue ball at the same spot, then hit it as low as you can, and use that as your gauge. Also, be aware of the angle of attack of your cue stick. Try to keep that consistent -- start with within an inch of the rail. You can measure how high off the rail your cue is and experiment with the angle a bit. (Keep in mind, though, if you angle your cue stick significantly, then you will have to adjust your contact point to slightly higher or you will miscue.)

Then adjust your speed accordingly. The biggest error I see players make who are trying to perfect their draw stroke is that they don't hit the ball low enough, even though they think they do and they are constantly changing the angle of attack unknowingly.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I agree about the cues. I carry one cue when taking the subway to the City and another cue when I drive. Even though both cues have Predator shafts, they still play very differently, and I do find myself paying attention to the feel of the hit more when I switch. I also experience something similar when I switch ball sets between different pool rooms.

But like you also wrote, it's not just the equipment change. You have to do the work as well.

Hi Fran,

I hope you're well.

I went through a long process of trying several LD shafts when I switched from a regular shaft before I settled on one that I felt was better for me.

I've recently started playing one pocket & have experimented with combinations of tips, shafts & butts in an attempt of finding one that allowed me to most easily get the delicate hit that is so often required in one pocket.

Anyway, to not be too long winded, I just discarded a butt last week simply because it had a large diameter & circumference that varied rather significantly from place to place where gripped.

I initially stopped using my steel jointed cue & went to a wood to wood sneaky pete type but I think I have settled on an Original Meucci with an OB Classic Pro & a soft G2 tip.

I don't have a question for you. I guess I just wanted to sort of confirm your point here that different cues hit differently & some of us can feel it & I guess some can't.

IMHO, One needs to have both a good stroke & the right equipment for them or even the game they are playing. 3 rail carom is not one pocket. I believe that CJ even uses different tip sized shafts for different size tables.

Again, I hope you've been well.
Rick

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When did this sub-forum change from "Ask to the instructor" to "Tell the instructor he doesn't know what he is talking about" sub-forum??

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Fran,

I hope you're well.

I went through a long process of trying several LD shafts when I switched from a regular shaft before I settled on one that I felt was better for me.

I've recently started playing one pocket & have experimented with combinations of tips, shafts & butts in an attempt of finding one that allowed me to most easily get the delicate hit that is so often required in one pocket.

Anyway, to not be too long winded, I just discarded a butt last week simply because it had a large diameter & circumference that varied rather significantly from place to place where gripped.

I initially stopped using my steel jointed cue & went to a wood to wood sneak pete type but I think I have settled on an Oringinal Meucci with an OB Classic Pro & a soft G2 tip.

I don't have a question for you. I guess I just wanted to sort of confirm your point here that different cues hit differently & some of us can feel it & I guess some can't.

IMHO one needs to have both a good stroke & the right equipment for them or even the game they are playing. 3 rail carom is not one pocket. I believe that CJ even uses different tip sized shafts for different size tables.

Again, I hope you've been well.
Rick

Hey Rick, welcome back. Yes, I have found that switching cues helps clean out the cobwebs and prevents me from getting lazy. It reminds me to pay attention to what I'm doing. Nothing at all wrong with that and I can see how musicians would do the same just to keep sharp (pardon the pun).

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Rick, welcome back. Yes, I have found that switching cues helps clean out the cobwebs and prevents me from getting lazy. It reminds me to pay attention to what I'm doing. Nothing at all wrong with that and I can see how musicians would do the same just to keep sharp (pardon the pun).

This is the "Ask the Instructor" forum. Where people expect honest answers from instructors and not have to wade through the b.s. of other forum answers by people just giving their opinion with little to no knowledge.

In the past, you have called for no one but instructors to answer questions here. That said, are you willing to go on record as stating that if someone came to you for a lesson, you would be willing to just tell them to go buy another cue and use that for a little while, then when they get used to it, switch up cues again? How much does one charge for a lesson like that? Oh, you wouldn't tell anyone that? Thought so.......

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

Thanks Fran.

You Stay & Play Well.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the "Ask the Instructor" forum. Where people expect honest answers from instructors and not have to wade through the b.s. of other forum answers by people just giving their opinion with little to no knowledge.

In the past, you have called for no one but instructors to answer questions here. That said, are you willing to go on record as stating that if someone came to you for a lesson, you would be willing to just tell them to go buy another cue and use that for a little while, then when they get used to it, switch up cues again? How much does one charge for a lesson like that? Oh, you wouldn't tell anyone that? Thought so.......

CALM DOWN NEIL. I IMAGINE YOUR TEMPER TANTRUM IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH.

Now, I will pretend you are not acting like a jerk and I will try to answer your questions. Yes, I have called for instructors only to respond here for years but my suggestions have been ignored, so, c'est la vie. I don't like it, but I accept it. It's not my web site.

I suggest you go back and read all the responses in this thread and you will find that I never stated that you should only change or buy cues to gain consistency. As usual, you are making assumptions about me that are wrong.

So no, I would not teach a lesson where the only thing I would suggest is to change cues. Therefore your question as to how much I would charge for that is moot.