Wood gluing tips

Johnsms3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings, I have some birdseye maple and purpleheart left just laying around.

Was going to mess around trying to make up some joint protectors.

Random question, can I glue purpleheart to maple and work with it, or should I dowel them?

If I can glue them, what kind of glue is recommended?

Thanks in advance

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Greetings, I have some birdseye maple and purpleheart left just laying around.

Was going to mess around trying to make up some joint protectors.

Random question, can I glue purpleheart to maple and work with it, or should I dowel them?

If I can glue them, what kind of glue is recommended?

Thanks in advance

Yes you can glue it but end grain to end grain is a weak joint. Turn a short tenon on one piece and glue it into a hole on the other. You can use titebond, it is strong.... epoxy or gorilla glue will work too.

Kim

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I use scrap shaft wood from bar cues for tenons. I have been known to cheat, not on cues but other little projects and use store bought Poplar or Oak doweling in the proper diameter. Not one little piece of maple goes to waste. Must be the wee bit of Scottish in me. KJ knows. I have a scrap wood pail. If I want something, I just dig around for a bit.

For a J/P, it wouldn't matter one bit what type of wood you used for a small dowel.

Jimmy Baxter is a nice guy. I bet if you sent him a PM, he would tell you how he puts his together. He mixes up his woods all the time on his J/Ps.

I have never had a problem using Tite Bond for anything.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I tenon'd and sleeve this combo.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I glued and machined the canvas micarta threads after that.

Watch your chuck and cutters. Working with short pieces can be dangerous.
Start long and shorten them when almost finished.
Purpleheart can be splintery. They cut better with end mills or router bits rather than single point bits.

Last edited: