New to me table: problems with cushion

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone.

I got my table from a local pool hall where they left the table disassembled in the storage for a long time (probably 3-5 years). A local pool table builder helped to level and covered the cloth. Since the rail cushion cloths are still brand new, I left it unchanged to test out

It played ok for about a couple of days then the balls starting to jump When come off the rail. It's just a little bit at the beginning, at only one or two spots. Now it jumps really bad even though English is still in effect.

I'm thinking it's most likely the rubber is shot. Which is fine if I could find out for sure. The reason I'm doubting is that I read some where referencing that the height of the nose and/or how tight the rail is bolting down to the table also play a crucial part in how balls react.

This table is pretty weird. I have whole bunch of the Brunswick rail bolts so I'm pretty sure it is. But not sure how to attach the rails to the tables.

So right now what I have is just some 2x4's attaching to the apron and the sub rail/top.

So some quick questions to get started please:
- anyone has any clue what model/make is this table? Manual (with details on how to assemble it) would be appreciated.
- how to check to see if the rubber has any life left or not
- if replacement is needed, which brand is good and what's the life expectancy should I get out of it?
- best place to get it?
- anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance.

08dc4483c392de5556c005f8678961c4.jpg

a30fa741ff6afc4f8b10c6a7deb237fe.jpg

f3799e4fa252cf1acf0a9159cb956de2.jpg

963947c9b366193116020c9b6c94445e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cursory look at the table spells Olhausen. But some parts look like Brunswick. The good news is either manufacturer can be made to play well. I can't speak for your mechanical skills. If you got a steal of a deal it may be in your best interest to get a table mechanic to do it right. What confuses me is that you intimated that you did have a mechanic help you? But if that were the case then your questions would be moot.

yesyura

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1, Where are you?
2, Looks to me Olhausen rails, Brunswick slates, apron corner piece missing, plates between rail and apron missing.
3, Olhausen needs 5/16" rail bolts from the bottom.
4, You don't need any 2x4 to set up this table.
5, When you get the slates, where was the holes for the bolts?

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There you go HaiNhi,

You have one of the best table mechanics in the country responding to your post. Yura is a gentleman, a friend, an excellent mechanic. He does the majority of the installations of Verhoeven tables in this country.

Attachments

• yura 3.jpg
    yura 3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 318
  • yura 1.jpg
    yura 1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 314
  • yura.jpg
    yura.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Yura also installs 'Gabriel' 3 cushion tables, Paul Frankel 'ProfessorQball' is the registered Official distributor for the USA.

The more informed, the more a consumer can make an intelligent choice.

Number13cfan

ProfessorQBall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yura also installs 'Gabriel' 3 cushion tables, Paul Frankel 'ProfessorQball' is the registered Official distributor for the USA.

The more informed, the more a consumer can make an intelligent choice.

Number13cfan
Yura is the man , he is one of a kind when it comes to fixing and installing tables

Attachments

• Yura with table.jpg
    Yura with table.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Efren Reyes.jpg
    Efren Reyes.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No sides to take here. Paul is the best promoter of 3C in the country. Gabriels is an excellent table. Gabriel and Verhoeven are the premier carom table manufacturers in the world. But this thread is not about us. This is what both Paul and I think of Yura. Nothing more nothing less.

No sides to take here. Paul is the best promoter of 3C in the country. Gabriels is an excellent table. Gabriel and Verhoeven are the premier carom table manufacturers in the world. But this thread is not about us. This is what both Paul and I think of Yura. Nothing more nothing less.

If that was your intention, you could of replied with just this sentence, if it was just about Yura!

'You have one of the best table mechanics in the country responding to your post. Yura is a gentleman, a friend, an excellent mechanic.'.

Respectfully;

Number13cfan

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. Thanks everyone for responding.

First of all, the table mechanic is a pool builder. He said he only works on his tables, and pool tables in general. He never sees anything like that so he couldn't help.

Second of all, my experience is I assemble a couple of pool tables, am a self-taught woodworker, a general contractor & framer by trade (I build custom homes and remodel for a living). So I can swing a hammer but still have lots to learn about assembling pool tables for sure.

Back to the table: I got it for the unpaid balance of a small remodel long time ago. So let's say it costs about $1000 max on my part. Brand new cloth and balls though :).

Slate is 1 1/2" thick. Aprons and corners are taken off for photo shoot only. I'm including some pictures to illustrate a bit more. There's only about 1/2" of the rail on top of slate only. The bolts in photos above fits in the holes on the sides of the slate. Holes at bottom of rails are used to through screw whole bunch of lag bolts sandwiching the 2 2x4 and the rails.

Hope that's a bit clearer. If not please ask me so I can either take more pictures or clarify.

Again, thank you for your time & help.
bc051642befbbaa77d339f35a1719278.jpg

03ba0876ad4f69f61e51286d812e3418.jpg

fadbc23815fd6dc1b1c49abd0f9d67ed.jpg

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HaiNhi,

As been said Yura is the one to listen to. He's the go to for the USBA Nationals. Yura worked on my 1920's Brunswick Regal a few years back even though I thought it was playing pretty well. About a year later George Ashby stopped by and he commented it was one of the best playing Brunswick's he'd played on.

I now have one of the Verhoeven's pictured above. He put that one together and it plays like a dream.

PM Yura with your information. He travels.

yesyura

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, now it's clear that you have no connection between the slates and the top rails. Like I said at first, you have Olhausen bottom, Brunswick slates and Olhausen rails.
Olhausen rails have 5,16' females inside, total of 18. But Brunswick slates you have are for side bolts, what that means is you have to make connection by yourself.
You introduce yourself that you do good wood work. Take the bottom 2x4 out. Drill side holes to reach females with the 9/16' bolts shown on the floor. Also drill the holes from the bottom to reach 5/16' females, get 18 pcs of 5/16' bolts, You have to check the length of the bolts, if you use the longer than you need, bolts can ruin the top rails.
Good luck. If you need more help, let me know.

yesyura

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hai Nhi,

Forgot one thing.
Do not use lag bolts, never worked with billiard tables. Both slates and the rails have strong females inside. To use them, you have to tighten them with proper size bolts.

You will have one of a kind billiard table.

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much Yura. So do you think that's the only problem, not having connection between slate & top rail?

That I will try to do.

So just to recap to see if I understand you fully:
- right now I have one 2x4 vertically, 1 at bottom sitting horizontally.
- I should take the bottom one out and discard.
- keep the vertical, but drill up onto the bottom of the top rail to use correct length 5/16" bolt. This would hold the top rail & 2x4 together tight.
- then drill sideway 2x4 onto holes in the slate to use the late bolts I showed above to attach the combination of the top rail & 2x4 to the slate.

yesyura

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excuse my poor english, first..
First, you have to attatch that wood piece to the slate , because slates you have are for the side rails. You have to make new slates, and then line up the rail bolt holes with top rails, find the right length rail bolts. Don't forget, side bolts don't need washers, but bottom rail bolts need washers.
Hope you will enjoy it.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to butt in here Yura but the OP needs a tool for installing the rail bolts.

You can get a special tool from Muellers for those bolts but this requires you also have a Bit Brace. The other option is slower but works well and that's to get an "Adjustable Pin Spanner Wrench" quick search gave me this http://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=31118 I don't know the pin size. You'll have to figure that out.

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jura for the clarification, and 3kushn for the reminder. I do know about the tool.

Again, I still wonder if this would fix the problem. I hope it would. I'll try it this week. If problem still occurs, I'll be up here again asking :).

Have a great week everyone.