What tip shaft combo gives the most spin...

tpoppa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to try a shaft/tip that creates lots of spin to see if I can adapt it to my game.

What tip shaft combo have given you the most spin with the least effort (slowest cue ball speed)?

I don't mean subjectively which do you think is better. Just looking for lots of cue ball action.

ktmrider765

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its more about a good stroke...person with a good stroke can get a lot of action with a phenolic tip on a break cue more so than a person with a bad stroke with the "perfect tip and shaft"...but for tips i like the spin the medium G2 does for myself along with ultraskin tips as well.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to try a shaft/tip that creates lots of spin to see if I can adapt it to my game.

What tip shaft combo have given you the most spin with the least effort (slowest cue ball speed)?

I don't mean subjectively which do you think is better. Just looking for lots of cue ball action.

Follow through is the secret to spin... there is no silver bullet.

Dale

tpoppa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with both of you. The stroke and follow through are the keys.

But with my same stroke and same tip shape (or as close as my eyes can tell) I can get more spin with certain cues. If I can find a setup that generates lots of action with a slow stroke, I'd like to try it.

its more about a good stroke...person with a good stroke can get a lot of action with a phenolic tip on a break cue more so than a person with a bad stroke with the "perfect tip and shaft"...but for tips i like the spin the medium G2 does for myself along with ultraskin tips as well.

Which KTM? I did a track day once on an 1190 RC8. Lots of fun!

Follow through is the secret to spin... there is no silver bullet.

Dale

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I use a Pechauer LD 11.75mm with a Super Soft Clear Kamui Black tip and it generates a ton of spin. I dare say too much spin.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. I seem to get less spin with the ob1. What tip and butt did you use with it?

When you start asking what butt was used to ask about how much spin is imparted at the tip I completely disregard everything you say. I am sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but really? What butt were you using to impart that spin? You might as well attach a magic wand to a shaft and yell "ALLAKHAZAM" after every shot if you think the butt impacts spin.

tpoppa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you start asking what butt was used to ask about how much spin is imparted at the tip I completely disregard everything you say. I am sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but really? What butt were you using to impart that spin? You might as well attach a magic wand to a shaft and yell "ALLAKHAZAM" after every shot if you think the butt impacts spin.

I'd be interested in the joint. Steel transmits energy different than wood, etc.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you really want to experiment-----take a 12mm Elk Master and glue it onto any 13mm tip (faced off flat of course), but the secret is in the glue.

Go to Walmart and buy the stuff in a yellow and green tube. Use that to glue the tip on the tip. This will give you the most spin.

The glue dries like a rubber cement and you can actually push on it sideways and you can see it flex or move. Not like a super glue where there is no moving it.

And of course with a swiping stroke you can spin the cue ball that way too.:wave3:

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joint material only has to do with cue "feel" and 99.99% of the people out there couldn't tell one material from another if they were blindfolded and asked to identify the joint (myself included). I have never, ever, ever... ever... heard anyone say that joint material has anything to do with the spin imparted to the cue ball.

*Edit* I defer to the post above, because obviously the glue used on the tip makes a huge difference. :)

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a certain tip offset a cue should generate the same amount of spin regardless of how it hits. The thing that makes a difference is the hardness of the tip and the shape of the tip if stroke isn't a factor.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mezz's Hybrid Pro 2.

If your looking for a regular maple shaft, get a Tad shaft, their taper are built for lotta actions on cue ball.

Tip wise, I'd go for Kamui SS black or brown. Depending on your choice. (If you need Kamui, G2 tips do let me know I can give u good prices)

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
tpoppa,

I've used Elk Masters & Brunswick Blue Diamond tips for more than 40 years & they have worked great in the area you're talking about, most spin with the least speed & that is what the difference is about. As many say, one can get as much spin with a hard tip as a soft tip but can one do it with the EXACT same speed. It's all about spin to speed ratio.

Several years ago I purchased an OB Classic with a Kamui Super Soft. It seemed like the tip was sticking to the cue ball. It was too much for me even though I have used those very soft tips for more than 40 years. Per someone's advice I took several layers off of the tip & then it was fine for me. I just recently bought an OB Classic Pro with a Kamui Clear Medium tip & I like the combination very much & better than the OB Classic Pro that I had picked up with a Le Pro on it.

Also FYI, one of the best players in the New Orleans area just recently told me that he feels that it's easier to move the ball with an OB Pro than it is with a Predator Z2 as it's not quite as stiff, It's stiff, but not quite as much. I'd recommend either one, the OB Classic or OB Classic Pro with either an Elk Master or a Kamui Super Soft. The difference is the Classic has a 12.75 mm diameter with a Pro Taper & the Pro has an 11.75 mm tip with a modified conical european style taper.

Good Luck in getting that for which you're searching.
Rick

PS The old Meucci shafts with a soft tip could really spin the ball too but I just never liked the whippy feeling of the long straight taper.

PPS I still have a Predator 314 CAT shaft that was 'juiced', sanded down to right under 12 mm with a soft tip that spins the ball too much for me on long shots. I would dare say that the ball swerves way more than it squirts so the net effect is 'negative squirt'. I love to spin the ball, but 'too much' can be hazardous & difficult to control. To me this shaft tip combo spins it 'too much'. It's great on short shots but 'too much' on the 7 to 9 foot shots.

PPPS Naturally all of the above are just my opinions based on my experience & there are very many shaft tip combinations that I have not hit & hence can not comment on. Good Luck Again.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I agree with Ron Swanson. Different butts do make a difference. I don't have any experience with the newer makes & models but as to the older ones, if I had to make a general statement, I'd say that a full spliced butt yields better results than one with a solid forearm. Again, this is just my opinion based on my experiences.

I don't really know if one puts any more spin on the ball than the other but it just feels like it does, for again, the same speed & I think that the full spliced butts also cause a bit less cue ball squirt too. I think when Bob Meucci did his Robot Testing for squirt he realized this about an Adam Balabushka butt & I think that may have led to him designing his cues of the Power Piston butt variety.

You may want to contact Mr. Meucci & ask him his opinion.

Again, all of the above are just my opinions based on my experiences.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz Hybrid Pro II with a soft tip.
But if you want to play with more sidespin (filipino style?) you have to change the way you play and play different patterns. NO shaft/tip combo in the world can really help you with that.
I suggest you find some practice drills that require you to move 2-3 cushions for position and play highright/left instead of drawing for position.