Peter Kippe

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sad news...Peter Kippe passed away today...
...had been fighting cancer for a while.
...no other details at this time

Rest in peace, Peter

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
My condolences to his friends and family. Although I never got to personally meet him, Peter and Jeff White were the first pros I ever saw play in person. I remember being positively spellbound.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There will be a gathering at Corner Bank on October 25...1 to 4 pm in honor of Peter
Kippie....if you live in the GTA, please drop in.

Peter may have been the best 15 year old player to come out of Canada.
His best conditions were a Gold Crown 6x12 with 26 ounce cloth and Vitelite balls...
...Vitelites were 4.5 ounces as opposed to world standard 5 ounce...
He ran hundreds at a professional level in his hometown of Brockville.

Although British conditions didn't favor his finesse style, he still managed to win the
Scottish snooker title in the early 80s....he was eligible for this because he had emigrated
to Canada at the age of 5, but had retained his Scot citizenship.

A pool table was not his best conditions to play on, but he still met Corey Deuel
twice and won both times.
Here's Peter in the finals of a Waterloo, ON 9-ball tournament....
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...k1tqhtdx6Teh3nEyQ&sig2=wCYSt0l7ji7sjiGlz4toxg

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other pool player that now RIP

There will be a gathering at Corner Bank on October 25...1 to 4 pm in honor of Peter

His best conditions were a Gold Crown 6x12 with 26 ounce cloth and Vitelite balls...

Although British conditions didn't favor his finesse style, he still managed to win the
Scottish snooker title in the early 80s....he was eligible for this because he had emigrated

A pool table was not his best conditions to play on, but he still met Corey Deuel
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...k1tqhtdx6Teh3nEyQ&sig2=wCYSt0l7ji7sjiGlz4toxg

Hey Paul T, Here is a match between Alex Pagulayan and Scott Soroko back in the old days at Pool Paradise too.....nice find!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UH3eZRLOjc

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other from Peter Kippie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rnrt6Z2Qg4

Peter Kippie vs Hsin Huang finals

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
peter Kippiw

HI remember Peter Kippie at the Old Mount Royal Snooker Club back
in the Seventys all the Best Players from all over Canada played there

Will be sadly missed Leonard Ponzie

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
HI remember Peter Kippie at the Old Mount Royal Snooker Club back
in the Seventys all the Best Players from all over Canada played there

Will be sadly missed Leonard Ponzie

Hi should have been back in the Eighties remember when he came
to Montreal he was Scottish Champion

Will be sadly missed RIP Kippie

Leonard Ponzie

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A lot of people today have never seen Peter in his prime.
...a little sample of how good he was.....
When Peter was 19, Kirk Stevens was 17, and just showing the promise that he would
become a world class snooker player. He was very close to Peter and learned a lot
from him.
So, they're playing snooker for small money, 6x12 Anniversary, and Kirk runs 15 blacks
and misses the yellow.
Peter says " Well, I guess I'll have to show you how to do it."....and ran a 147 next game.

I thought Peter was one of the best rest players I ever saw...

Attachments

• Peter Kippie (2).jpg
    Peter Kippie (2).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

netspec

www.netspec.ca
Silver Member
it was a beautiful tribute @ CB on Sunday. I didn't have it in me to talk to anyone there, and after I left, started to remember Peter even more.

When I first moved to Toronto from Ottawa around 1997, Peter was one of the first to befriend me, and he talked about coming from Brockville. I noticed the way he plays on the table was different, he can sometimes lift his foot and arch it while balancing on the other foot. Other times, he had a common stance. After thinking of it, and watching him play, I could sum it up as having the grace of a dancer and accuracy of a marksman.

Playing backgammon is what makes me smile most of Peter, and he taught me much about the game and strategy. One particular instance which makes me laugh was one particular time we both were at a point where all our pips were ready to off, but my layout had looked more like twin towers and Peters layout was more even which favored the win. He ended up passing me the cube "hinting I should decline". Well...I took that cube and sent it right back. The next two rolls were double-six. Peter's face wrinkled up and looked at me with such disgust like I had committed some sort of crime against humanity, I ended up winning that round. Peter then said, ok...now I will show you how to play (note show, not teach). The next two rounds, he gammon'd me without any emotion. Needless to say, I believe he was teaching me a good lesson - luck is but a mere percentage in backgammon. Be humble and listen to advice.

thanks Peter - RIP

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
A lot of people today have never seen Peter in his prime.
...a little sample of how good he was.....
When Peter was 19, Kirk Stevens was 17, and just showing the promise that he would
become a world class snooker player. He was very close to Peter and learned a lot
from him.
So, they're playing snooker for small money, 6x12 Anniversary, and Kirk runs 15 blacks
and misses the yellow.
Peter says " Well, I guess I'll have to show you how to do it."....and ran a 147 next game.

I thought Peter was one of the best rest players I ever saw...

Last edited: