What Rules are most popular in Canada?

Lakewalker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a pool table and was wondering what rules are most popular here? APA, BCA, or some other rule set? And while I'm asking I've tried searching for the differences between the rules and I'm not having much luck.

Thanks for your time,

D

srs314

shooterville.com
Well let's talk 8-Ball becasue I assume that's what you are asking about.

APA/CPA

If you make a ball on the break you have to take that group (stripes or solids)

Making the 8 on the break is a win.

If you scratch while shooting the 8-Ball it's loss of game.

You do not need to nominate a ball or pocket until the 8 ball so if you fluke one of your balls you keep shooting.

ACS/BCA

Table open on the break.

If you make the 8-ball on the break you have the option to spot it and keep shooting or just break again.

If you are shooing the 8 and scratch the cue ball it's just ball in hand for your opponent.

You must nominate a ball and pocket on every shot, you may also call just a shot where you can make a ball and force your opponent to shoot after.

Well that's what I can think of for now, I know there is also a difference when balls are knocked off the table or made during a foul. I think in APA/CPA they are put back on the table.

Hope this helps,

Lakewalker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was also curious about what the most popular rules are here in Canada. I'm very sure that 8-ball is the most popular game.

So APA/CPA, BCA, or maybe bar rules(whatever these may be)?

Last edited:

srs314

shooterville.com
Probably close to even. People who play outside of the league system are most often using the ACS/BCA rules.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
srs314 said:
Well let's talk 8-Ball becasue I assume that's what you are asking about.

APA/CPA

If you make a ball on the break you have to take that group (stripes or solids)

Making the 8 on the break is a win.

If you scratch while shooting the 8-Ball it's loss of game.

You do not need to nominate a ball or pocket until the 8 ball so if you fluke one of your balls you keep shooting.

ACS/BCA

Table open on the break.

If you make the 8-ball on the break you have the option to spot it and keep shooting or just break again.

If you are shooing the 8 and scratch the cue ball it's just ball in hand for your opponent.

You must nominate a ball and pocket on every shot, you may also call just a shot where you can make a ball and force your opponent to shoot after.

Well that's what I can think of for now, I know there is also a difference when balls are knocked off the table or made during a foul. I think in APA/CPA they are put back on the table.

Hope this helps,

Just to add to the bca rules,

illegally pocketing the 8 ball is a loss of game (ie. wrong pocket, or making it early)

This probably doesn't need mention though.

P.S. I wish that rule would be eliminated...

srs314

shooterville.com
That's the most common complaint about the CPA rules, plus top players run out more when they get to choose stripers or solids no mater what is made on the break.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I believe CPA/BCA are most common but in terms of best overall rules in my opinion is TAP rules. Call pocket, open after the break, 8 on the break wins.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Probably close to even. People who play outside of the league system are most often using the ACS/BCA rules.

I was not expecting this when I opened this thread.

Scotty is missed sorely by the pool world.

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're playing in Calgary against a pool player the game has always been VNEA rules for barbox 8. 8 doesn't count on the break, re-spot or re-break. You can contact the 8 first on an open table to combo or carom for an opener. Ball in hand on fouls, except off the break where it is played behind the headstring. Table is always open after the break. Call pocket.

Now we have a venue with Diamond boxes and we play BCA rules at that hall. Only difference's I know between the two are, cueball can be placed anywhere after a foul break, and you cannot contact the 8 first for a combo or carom to designate.

Last, if you're playing in a bar against bangers, usually its bar rules and it seems everybody's got their own!

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just noticed your from Edmonton. If you're on Facbook, join the groups 'Alberta Billiards' or 'Calgary Pool Scene' to keep up to date with local tourneys and action matches.

The best hall in Alberta IMO is located close by in Red Deer called The Corner Pocket. They have 10 Diamond 9fts, 10 Diamond 7fts and 3 Riley snooker tables. They hold big tourneys every now and then and you will see Alberta's best and a couple of BC's best players show up.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe CPA/BCA are most common but in terms of best overall rules in my opinion is TAP rules. Call pocket, open after the break, 8 on the break wins.
One rule I really dislike about TAP is if you make your first shot after the break, as called, and scratch, you're still that set of balls. (complete vs misses is why)

Its likely I wouldn't be playing pool if it wasnt for Scott. I started playing CPA in 2007 and I went to a couple of the Wednesday tournaments at Bobby D's where he had a "pool school" before the tournament. He helped me with some 8 ball strategy and then if you took his mini course you got a discount on the tournament. Soon after that I was asking about getting a better cue and he suggested Donnie Broos. Ive went there ever since.

Such a nice guy, did so much for everyone without ever asking for anything in return. If you see Brittany's Justis, Scotty ordered that, his and one for Donnie after he won a good sized poker tournament online.

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Same thought went threw my head when I opened this thread, pt109.
Scotty was loved by all who were furtunate enough to cross our life path with him. Super young man. He is missed by all.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
If you're playing in Calgary against a pool player the game has always been VNEA rules for barbox 8.

Wow, old thread. South of the city it's always, "Valley Rules", big tables too. Most people don't know what "BCA Rules" are, save for a few diehards. They know what they play/watch in league.

ThePoolScene

Registered
It is hard to believe that Scotty has been up in the heavens for almost 4 years now. I remember so clearly the evening he left us. I asked him to go for an ice cream, but he was busy taking photos (with that HUGE zoom lens) at the Canadians.

I hope they have chocolate up there.

View attachment 288400

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question, where does it say in the APA/CPA 8/9Ball rule book that jump cues aren't allowed? I'm unable to find it.

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is in the "APA team manual" Pdf on the Apa website. page 43 under equipment
Thank you! Wow I also didn't know that you weren't allowed to break down your cue and use your shaft to jump either. That really sucks, who the heck jumps with a full playing cue? It's very uncomfortable and hard to control due to the weight.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Scott, I am not sure about the ACS that you posted. As far as I know, or play VNEA in Regina, there is no such thing as, "Just a Shot". If you call just a shot and Safety your opponent, he can make you continue shooting.

It's a Safety Call or nothing.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Canadian-style golf on the snooker table is one of my favorite games.

Not sure what the scene is like these days, but 15-20 years ago, the biggest action was on the golf table, and there'd be more people crowded around the main golf table than on all the other tables combined. Expensive, but good times!