Edwin "Bandido" Reyes

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please place your stories of this great man here.

I never got to meet him, but exchanged several PMs over the years. I feel like I've lost a real buddy.

May God Rest Your Soul Edwin.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Charity

Edwin once answered a question that I and others had on the forum. We were wondering why it seemed that the Filipino players had so much luck in playing pool. A variety of reasons were given. Many suggested that hard work produces it's own brand of good luck and the Filipino players have worked on their respective games for decades with diligence. Others offered other reasons such as good players get good luck etc. :)

Edwin suggested that the reason they had good luck was CHARITY. At the time I didn't think much about it except that it was as good a reason as most had suggested. You know the old bibilical saying "cast your bread upon the waters". It literally means "Send your substance out upon the waters (sea) that you might find it again in the future. Give a share to seven or eight because you never know what sort of disaster might come your way". This was in essence simply solid business management. By spreading your wealth around, you reduced the odds of being wiped out completely because if you did come on hard times, the several shares that you had spread around might be prospering and your investment might be returned many times over.

But this is but part of the story of casting your bread upon the waters. The other part of the message is "Don't set your heart upon riches because everything in this world is uncertain".

Edwin reminded me that the Filipino players often share what they have with each other. Traveling thousands of miles to compete in pool tournament on distant shores costs lots of money and the Filipino players look after one another, sharing hotel rooms and even their own food. I had witnessed this myself and thought it was simply a smart way to conserve your cash. Edwin said that their luck was due to their charity. You always hear stories about Efren and his entourage and how generous he is as well as other Filipino players. You can see it yourself if you look carefully with practically any of the Filipino players. I've seen it with Bustamante and others as well.

Weeks passed, maybe months and that shared gift of wisdom settled in parts of my brain not to be disturbed but it was Edwin again that shook that memory from the recesses of my brain.

I had made a trip to the 2009 Derby City Classic and recounted my experience of visiting there.

Most of my trip had been spent hanging out with my new friends from Norway and AZ Billiards, Roy Steffensen and PoolAddict (Chris) along with "T", sjm, Chicago Mike, John Henderson and several others, competing in the tournament and even doing a little gambling with each other. It was a great trip but it started out kind of unusual.

After only being there for a couple of days I spied an old friend from Jackson, MS, "Crane" and Efren Reyes playing chess with one another at a solitary table with no sweators around. Since no one was sweating their chess match, I thought I would take a break and see how they played. As I approached the table, I noticed that neither of them had a drink sitting on the table. As a token I asked if either of them would like a drink since I was standing and mobile and had come to be entertained, I thought it only natural for me to ask. Crane responded a simple No, without acknowledging me or our decades old friendship. It wasn't necessary. We knew our respective places and I played mine to the hilt by remaining silent. Efren, looked up and with a meek voice, replied, "Water?" I eagerly went to obtain a couple of bottles of water and returned to the table giving one to Efren and Crane again refused the second silent offer of the other bottle of water. I sat there and watched in perfect silence as neither of them spoke a word and there game was close. Crane wound up winning that game, I think he broke even. They were playing for $10 or $20 I believe. The game broke up and they discussed what ifs and moved pieces around the table noting if this one had done that, this would have happened and this would have changed the outcome. I just remained silent and we all three went our separate ways. Crane is an older fellow who doesn't play much pool anymore but I have seen him at many of the larger tournaments around the country. It had been 30 years since I had frequented the bar rooms and pool rooms that he and I shared in Jackson, MS those many years ago.

Several days had passed and it was Friday night. I had forgotten that it was Friday night. It was a special night for me. I had purchased an entry to the Midnight One Pocket tournament which I always try to do. Once upon a time, I had marvelous luck myself and bested every player in the tournament. It is always my dream to repeat that once in a lifetime feat but with all of the fun I was having I paid little attention to day of the week and was having fun tossing back several beers with my buddies and regaling each other with pool tales of success and sorrow. One of the group, I can't remember who :eek: said, "Are we going to watch the Midnight One Pocket Tournament? I looked at the time and it was 11:30 PM and I was drunk as a skunk and hardly in shape to compete with the players that would be playing in the tournament. I wailed that I was drunk and wouldn't be able to play and was trying to console myself or maybe muster some courage to sober up quickly because for the most part I play poorly when I drink, especially at a thinking game like one pocket. Roy said, "Why don't you ask Efren to take your place?". I had never even thought of giving my place to anyone, let alone Efren but in that moment in time, it seemed like a likely choice and as providence would have it, Roy looked up and there was Efren. Roy beckoned Efren to come to the table and said that I wanted to ask him something.

I sheepishly looked at Efren and complained that I was drunk and would not be able to play well in the one pocket tournament that started in about 15 minutes. I asked Efren if he would like to take my place in the tournament and he inquired, "One Pocket?". I said, "Yes" and he said "OK". I went to the ticket counter and changed out my name for Efren's name for the tournament and nothing was agreed to or even mentioned. It wasn't really that important and I never thought to ask or bargain with Efren about what he or I would get for this deal we had made. We watche match after match as THE MAGICIAN vanquished opponent after opponent. We drank coffee and sampled the pastries while Efren worked until the early morning when he won the last match of the tournament. In a race to 2 anything can happen. I am living proof of that but the KING wasn't about to let anyone get his crown that night.

By now, everyone had faded except for Roy, Efren and I so we decided to go eat breakfast. That sweating can really work up an appetite so we walked over to the sumptuous breakfast buffet where they had practically anything you could want for breakfast. I paid for the three of us and we went to the table to be seated and order our juice and coffee. Efren quietly, reached into his pocket and handed me the entire winnings, $800 in total for the first place finish. As he handed me the money, he said, "This is for my backer". He and Roy got up from the table and I remained seated, I knew first place would pay around $800 and Efren had just handed me some money and I didn't know if what kind of share he was giving me. I counted the money and it was $800. I thought that was kind of unusual but I have always expected unusual things from Efren, not just on the pool table but in regular life. I counted it and realized that he had given me the whole first place winnings. I immediately put a hundred dollars on the side for Roy for coming up with the idea and put $400 on the side for Efren with me keeping the $300. By this time, I was kind of tired but elated with the thought that I had actually made a few dollars from the trip. This coupled with a little cash from having some lucky draws in the 9 ball and I was almost even for the trip, minus my plane fare, my beer money and several meals. :D

Roy refused the hundred bucks and Efren pocketed the money without counting what I had given him. We each went our separate ways. Efren was accosted by yet another fan who wanted and apparently made a deal to get a pool lesson from Efren. After playing all night, here was Efren with a smile on his face, getting ready to give an anxious fan the delight of his life. I know he had to be exhausted but he never showed it for a minute. We watched for a while but the big drama was over for us and we retired to the hotel to catch a few winks of sleep.

A couple of days later we were all headed to the airport to go to our respective destinations and lo, what a surprise I had in for me. My fantasy trip wasn't over yet. You can read about my return flight with Efren here.

The original story, "A drink of water for my kingdom" can be found here

Upon returning home and sharing my good fortune and trip stories with the rest of the Main Forum, Edwin reminded me of his words many weeks prior about Charity and his reminder sent chills up my spine when I realized how I had just experienced the Pinoy player's luck.

I hope his family knows how much he has touched lives of others the world over and how much he was valued and appreciated. They have my sincerest condolences.

Thank you for everything, Edwin.

Joey Aguzin

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
This is the first I've heard of this. I'm shocked.

Edwin showed me around Manila when I was there and he was a great guy.

Rest in peace.

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Kabayan Edwin

Kabayan Edwin,

Many thanks for having me in the tours.

Many thanks for always having a smile every time we meet.

Many thanks for sharing with me the good news, developments
concerning our upcoming projects, family life, and more.

Many thanks for putting the country on the map of the
pool cue business.

Many thanks for fighting for the players and for the sport as a whole.

And many thanks for showing us the light - being the light - amidst
the darkness.

I WILL MISS YOU, KABAYAN. WE WILL ALL MISS YOU.

RIP KABAYAN KO - MASTER BANDIDO....

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You never realize how much a person means to you, your life, until they're gone.

Edwin Reyes' life was stolen from his family and friends, but the memory of his goodwill and generosity will live forever more in our hearts.

He was passionate about pool in the Philippines, and the only thing he asked for was transparency.

I have no doubt in my mind that Edwin Reyes is in heaven, in a much better place than you and I are right now. Each and every time I read an article about pool in the Philippines, I will think of Edwin Reyes. God bless you, friend. May your spirit soar in harmony with the other angels.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump for Edwin. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER forget you. You are in my thoughts!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I had a layover in Manila last year.
I arrived in Manila around noon.
My international flight to LA was around 11 PM.
So, Edwin picks me up b/c he knew I was just going to get bored at the airport and that there was a local tournament for the future stars of Philippine pool.
Edwin picks me up at the airport then we head out to a local bowling alley/ pool hall.
Tournament hasn't started yet. Adjacent to the bowling lanes was a small cafeteria . Lo and behold , guess who was there. Efren of course.
We greet Efren . Edwin told him we were going to have lunch. Efren comes with us right there and we ordered 3 bowls of soup as Efren suggested.
How cool was that? Instead of being stuck in the airport for hours, I got to have lunch with Edwin and Efren. After lunch the tournament started.
Edwin put two of his young guns ( Takayama and Revo ) in the tournament.
I got to see them play their matches and was just in awe how good they were.
Around 8 pm after dinner, Edwin takes me back to the airport. By the time I arrived here, he already e-mailed me how his young guns did in their matches.
That was Edwin. He took care of his friends. Heck he even took care of strangers.
Edwin, you're sadly missed .

IamMark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story Joey. I had the chance to meet Edwin not too long ago, and although we did not get to talk much, he seemed like a great person. I admire your stories Joey, it just comes to prove that great friendships can be made through pool. It seems like the common conception when you think about going to a pool hall is to watch out for hustlers. But, your stories prove that theres more to it and that some people are more than willing to help others out. Edwin was no exception.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
I just want to post (pay) my respect to Edwin "Bandido" Reyes. There was one thread that was being post about Filipino "pool" tables and I was extremely fascinated by how this "thing" even works. I had so much interest in it, that I had to speak to so many Pinoys to find the dimensions to how "pool" was set up so that I could make one. Well, I spoke to Bandido about this and surprisingly, he replied back with a great "reply back if there is anything you need". I was gracious that he would do that... me, a small town nobody. When I found out that he was murdered, my first reaction was, "OH, MY GOD!... NOOO!", with despair. I am a Mexican-American. Pinoys are like our extremely distant brothers with Spaniard connections. When a noble man as Edwin died, one of our own died. I curse to those evil-minded bastards who had to take the life of a noble and dedicated man that wanted the better of the pool world. I wish that they are incarcerated to the very maximum of their punishment.

To Edwin "Bandido" Reyes, I thank you so much for what you did for me and may you be alongside Herman Rainbow, George Balabushka, all the passed cue creators, Dr. MLK Jr., Willie Mosconi, Willie Hoppe, (well I am not going to continue, but I'll just say) all the passing legends of all forms of billiards that are right above heaven playing some great pool and enjoying a great jam.

Thank You,

Rick S. (South Texas, USA)

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Friends, today is May 9 in the Philippines.

At 2 PM today, we will be holding the First Bandido Cup
at the AMF-Puyat Superbowl, Makati Cinema Square,
Makati City, Philippines.

The proceeds of the event will all go to the children of Edwin Reyes,
i.e., for their school tuition/needs this coming 2009-2010 schoolyear.

Here's looking forward to it and all. Please wish us luck, friends.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Friends, today is May 9 in the Philippines.

At 2 PM today, we will be holding the First Bandido Cup
at the AMF-Puyat Superbowl, Makati Cinema Square,
Makati City, Philippines.

The proceeds of the event will all go to the children of Edwin Reyes,
i.e., for their school tuition/needs this coming 2009-2010 schoolyear.

Here's looking forward to it and all. Please wish us luck, friends.

That is great. I look forward to reading all about it, and be sure to take pictures and share on the forum. Thanks for making this happen!

RIP, Edwin Reyes. You are not forgotten!

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Thanks, JAM!

Just a brief on The BANDIDO CUP, friends.

Congratulations to the winners and placers of The 2009 Bandido Cup!

Champion: El Silverio
1st Runner-Up Cedric0811
2nd Runner-Up PredatorBlak
3rd Runner-Up Charly Lopez

More congratulations to the 2009 Bandido Cup Raffle Winners!

a. Dino (Bamboool Beee) – One (1) Videoke Machine with Mic
b. Eric Salud – One (1) Edwin Reyes/Lindsey David Cue
c. Mike Pamintuan – One (1) JD Cue

A total of 52 players from five (5) of the most popular and strongest billiards clubs in the metro registered for the event and played at the
AMF-Puyat Superbowl, Makati Cinema Square, Makati City.
In alphabetical order: bilyar.NET (BDN), Easy Pool Tutor Philippines (EPT),
Makati Pool Players Association (MAPPA), Rackistas (Rack ‘Em Up),
and YOung & and Young Ones Billiards Club (YoYo).

Fund Drive:

a. 51 players x Php300 = Php 15,300 (excluding Trophy Sponsor)
b. Php 10,000 - Anonymous
c. Php 1,000 – Comeback Kid
d. Php 4,500 - MAPPA Officers & Members
e. Php 1,000 – Jason & Mike Pamintuan
f. Php 3,000 – Jesse (Gonzales) Cambosa
g. Php 500 – Magnum
h. Php 500 – Butch(via The TG)
i. Php 500 – Vic
j. Php 200 – Anonymous
k. Php 200 – Anonymous
l. Php 2,000 – Arvin Arceo (Efren Bustamante)

TOTAL: Php 38,700

Expenses:
a. Php 1,300 – Committee food and drinks
b. Php 3,500 – Cash Prizes (Php 2,000 Champion; Php 1,000 1st Runner-Up; Php 250 2nd Runner Up; Php 250 3rd Runner Up)

TOTAL: Php 4,800

FINAL TALLY:

Php 38,700
less Php 4,800

*Please PM me for any correction/s, friends.
**The amount we have raised will be deposited to the savings account
of Edwin Reyes’ wife this coming Monday, May 11, 2009,

Many thanks to the SPONSORS of the 2009 Bandido Cup!

a. Arvin Arceo – One (1) Videoke Machine for Raffle
b. Jason Calubaquib – One (1) set of trophies
c. Lindsey David – One (1) Edwin Reyes/Linds Collaboration Cue
for Raffle
d. Joel Dadivas – One (1) Cue for Raffle

More thank you’s go to:

Bandido Cup 2009 Tour Committee
– Jojo Dimacali (Shark), Vic Trinidad (Pacman), Buboy Rabe (Boy Pulbos), and Chris dela Cruz (Supremo)

Jesse (Gonzales) Cambosa
- for welcoming and having us all despite your busy sched

Jason Calubaquib
- audio sound system (amplifier, mic & mic stand)

Popoy Cusi
- will donate one of his paintings for auction

Martin Misa
- Thanks for believing.

Mrs. Carmen Magtibay – General Manager of AMF-Puyat Superbowl

Spotters from MAPPA & AMF-Puyat Superbowl and the staff of Superbowl

And to my brothers and sisters in billiards

1. Dark Phoenix
2. El Silverio
3. Boy Pulbos
4. Mike Pamintuan
5. Jason Pamintuan
6. Popoy Cusi
7. Cris Borja
8. Lorenz
9. Logene
10. Japoy
11. Andrei
12. Percy
13. William
14. Ikey
15. Predator Blak (Gillian)
16. Pacman (Vic Trinidad)
17. Paeng13
18. Alvin Cahinhinan
19. Emily
20. Charly Lopez
21. Martin Misa
22. Sam Nielsen
23. Six Pocket
24. Shark (Jojo Dimacali)
25. Mon
26. Enzo Ronquillo
27. Lester Ronquillo
28. Jojo Biacora
29. Predator314 (Leo Ochinang)
30. Odie Marquez
31. Mel
32. Jogo
33. Efren Bustamante (Arvin Arceo)
34. Dindo
35. AnitoKid
36. Jesse (Gonzales) Cambosa
37. Jerv
38. Jimmy Domingo
39. Darwin (DGEM)
40. Supremo
41. Cris Tattoo
42. Danny Hapon
43. Lito “Vice” de Castro
44. Jason Calubaquib
45. Yaj
46. The General (Les Lacson)
47. Cedric0811
48. Eric Salud
49. Manuel Hernandez
50. Julius
51. Edwin “Lakay” Reyes
52. Toto

Friends, truth be told, I had butterflies in my stomach the
morning before the tour. I was afraid that only a few would show up.
Last Thursday day, twas a signal number 2 storm hitting the Metro -
was worried that the event may not push through and all.

But it did push through! The AMF-Puyat Superbowl was filled to the max!
All of the 20 tables were occupied for some time! And the sense ofcamaraderie and friendship was very evident among all!
The cooperation and willingness of everyone to make the tour a successful one was very visible – right from the beginning! Indeed, Edwin Reyes aka Bandido is loved by many!

Kabayan Edwin:

This is to remember you. But more importantly, this is for your children. Thank you for being our light!

Again,to my brothers and sisters in billiards,

Kapatiran! Mabuhay ang bilyar!
Mabuhay ang manlalarong bilyarista!
Mabuhay kayong lahat!

Maraming, maraming, maraming, maraming salamat po!

AK

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the update AK.
The sneaky I'm raffling is almost ready.
I will send you pics for your site.
Almost all tickets are pre-sold. Edwin had a lot of friends here.
God Bless everyone there.

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shooting to predator blak and the other placers..This 11 year old girl would be the women's champion one of these days...:)