:: Carp into Dragon Case :: For Pete Tonkin by Yang Case ::

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
This case was commissioned by Pete Tonkin and the Carp into Dragon theme was provided by him.

Carp into Dragon is an old chinese story about how only the brave carps that dares swim up river reaching the highest point can make the final leap and turn into a Dragon.
Frankly speaking i didn't know of this story (and i'm Chinese...) and when Pete told me about it i wasn't sure if Yang knew.
When i spoke to Yang about the theme he was well aware of the story and that was a relief...i didn't need to google anything for him. Pete gave Yang the freedom to design the case and that was the best decision considering how talented Yang is.

The end design is simply breathtaking and importantly the entire layout and composition stays close to the theme. Yang even wrote a short poem about the case and it's story which he was kind enough to translate for me hehe..my mandarin really isn't that good..

Prior to this i started 2 threads about this case, the first was the Process Thread which if anyone is interested in seeing the making and coming together of this case can refer to it here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=357868
The second thread is the use of Carbon Fiber tubes in this case which is a first for Yang and i have a feeling it's also the first for Cue Cases which if you're interested in can refer to here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=359519

Enough yapping and time to share the beauty... This has been the toughest case to photograph for me...

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old adage a picture is worth a thousand words fits perfectly here, what an amazing case and fabulous photography! The ONLY thing missing is pictures of the cue that is going in the case, it must be spectacular!!!

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words guys. The tooling and details in colouring for this case is just breathtaking...it really needs to be appreciated in flesh. :)

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words guys. The tooling and details in colouring for this case is just breathtaking...it really needs to be appreciated in flesh. :)

YOUR photography is appreciated Jive Man!! :grin-square:

Pete Tonkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dragon's Gate

Jive,

I really don't know what to say but I think you said it the best it's breathtaking and seeing in person has to be amazing.

Thanks so much,
Pete

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Wow, this case is absolutely stunning!
Breathtaking is not a strong enough word.
Beautiful, amazing, world class piece of craftsmanship.
An heirloom quality piece of functional art.

Enjoy it Pete!!

And Jive, thanks for the superb pictures!

Will Prout

Last edited:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Amazing work, so the moral of the story is you're no longer a fish? 😃 Well I guess it certainly announces your presence with authority. Beautiful piece of work.

Why am I the Colonel? Because I always get the chicken