Good change?

jgobigred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed this past year of league that I usually fail to make a shot when I have to apply draw or follow from a distance or just extreme follow no matter how close. I noticed I was shooting way too hard on these shots. I switched to shooting these much softer, farther from center, and with a longer follow through and the results have been great so far.

I've also found occasions where I'm forced to shoot over a ball or rail and can only hit the top of the ball and have a straight in shot so I shoot soft with hardly any follow through with good results.

Am I on the right track or am I going off the path, chasing something that seems to be working, only to find myself further from advancing my game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
I noticed this past year of league that I usually fail to make a shot when I have to apply draw or follow from a distance or just extreme follow no matter how close. I noticed I was shooting way too hard on these shots. I switched to shooting these much softer, farther from center, and with a longer follow through and the results have been great so far.

I've also found occasions where I'm forced to shoot over a ball or rail and can only hit the top of the ball and have a straight in shot so I shoot soft with hardly any follow through with good results.

Am I on the right track or am I going off the path, chasing something that seems to be working, only to find myself further from advancing my game?

I think you are on to something good. You have identified a problem and you are taking steps to correct it. Nice job. :thumbup:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's just no substitute for consistent fundamentals

I honestly think you're going to have some issues trying to "fix" your problem in this manner. PM me your address and I'll send you a free 'Ultimate Pool Secrets' DVD - it goes over the entire Pre Shot routine, and the fundamentals required to hit the cue ball precisely/accurately at any speed.

There's just no substitute for consistent fundamentals to reach the point you can apply advanced ones like TOI/TOO and/or a pivot system to spin the ball properly.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jgobigred...Contact your local PBIA/SPF instructor, Jeff Miller (319-360-7415). He can give you a great overview on what you're doing, and help you make any corrections, using video analysis. Jeff is a great instructor, and is just down the road a couple of miles. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member
Not an instructor, but I do the same thing. Another trick I've found that helps me with longer shots when you have to hit it harder is to use a closed bridge and tighten it up, to help keep the cue in line.

jgobigred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all for the advice and thank you very much for the video Mr. Wiley!