bench height

Dgib69

Registered
What would be a good work bench height for my deluxe cue Smith lathe...
I'm 6' tall..any input would be appreciated...thanks..

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the suggested height is such that your elbows are even with the handwheels on the lathe.

jecues

JE cues
Silver Member
I am 6'3" and mine is at 42" and I would probably build more like 45-46 I catch myself hunching over for delicate work and then end up with a sore back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I believe the suggested height is such that your elbows are even with the handwheels on the lathe.

This in fact is pretty accurate.
I had a similar question myself not long ago and went around the shop and measured avg. spindle hgts. of all my lathes.
Tape-measure wasn't necessary, they were all about belly-bottom high.
I just stood-up and checked, my belly-button and elbows are on about the same latitude.
Thanx Beau.

KJ

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only addition to the above info, is what ever height is comfortable for you to be working with.
In my case having had a broken neck and a neck fusion, I am unable to look down as easily as others. So as a result of that, I have my lathe higher , so my neck is in a less flexed position to view what I am doing. It is rare that I need to look over and behind the work piece.

Dgib69

Registered
Thanks for all the input ..sounds like I'll wait until the lathe shows up..for I have lower back and
Neck problems myself..no pain on gain..lol thanks again all..

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
My only addition to the above info, is what ever height is comfortable for you to be working with.
In my case having had a broken neck and a neck fusion, I am unable to look down as easily as others. So as a result of that, I have my lathe higher , so my neck is in a less flexed position to view what I am doing. It is rare that I need to look over and behind the work piece.

I have the same issue, minus the broken neck part...just a 3 level fusion at the base of the neck. Unfortunatly I am not able yet to redo the heights on the benches. I recommend to go as high as you can to allieviate discomfort on the neck.
Dave

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
And remember, if you happen to make the bench legs too long, you can cut a few inches off easier than adding.