Joe Thomas Custom Cues

tomsmith

looking for some info on him. i know he had a shop here in toledo, but that's about it. recieved one of his cues as a gift 20-some years ago and was curious about it. any info would be greatly appreciated.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
tomsmith said:
looking for some info on him. i know he had a shop here in toledo, but that's about it. recieved one of his cues as a gift 20-some years ago and was curious about it. any info would be greatly appreciated.

I posted a picture a while ago of one of his cues I have. Last I heard ('94-'95) he was in FLA somewhere. Couldn't get any info on either. Also heard somebody in Toledo bought him out around that same time. I knew a guy that had Joe make him a cue around '94. Plain BEM front and back...linen wrap. Played with it at the Ship n Shore off front street all the time.
Used to be a pool hall in the old north end that had a sign hanging out front that had Joe's name on it. Said something like "Custom cues by Joe Thomas" on the bottom. Doubt if it is still there.......this was back in the early 90's and was looking pretty rough then.
Thats about what I know............
Put some pixs up.......

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
He is listed in the latest Blue Book. A friend of mine has one of his cues. It looks like a titleist. He told me that Joe would go into a PH and look at the sticks and pick out the best ones. He would then cut them in two, install a joint, wrap and put his clear plastic butt cap on it. He said he was a shoemaker and players would come in and have him put leather on their cues for tips. That is how Joe got started in making cues. I hear that he was a pretty good pool player. I think he is mentioned in The Beard's book.

gary

Registered
re: joe thomas

Joe is alive and well in Toledo, Ohio, still making cues and playing one pocket. I play Joe periodically at Glass city billiards where he is a regular. He is usually there between 4 in the afternoon and about 8 in the evening. Marty the owner is usually there during mid-afternoon and should have joe's number. Glass city number is 1-419-476-7665. Just say you talked to gary the schoolteacher.