Why Pool is devastated by the new Smoking Laws.

Mikiemopa

pechauer dealer
Silver Member
This is a stupid post. Smoking isn't the cause of pool rooms closing. Its the cost of everything going up and wages going down. Thanks teabaggers, we love trickle down economics. We love busting up unions so people can earn less. We love right to work states so wages can be depressed. We love having no health care or retirement. We love working minimum wage and paying more taxes than Bank of America. It just like the other lies you hear. The recession, depression that started in 2007-2008 is something Obama created. People are so stupid in this country, they will believe the lies they are told because they are too lazy to care about the truth.

O ya I find these hilarious

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
BTW watch Real Sports on HBO and it seams Golf has similar issues and see what they are trying.....

JV

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do agree with the above post, smokers want there own room, go ahead, I personally don't care for smoking rooms or bar, and some smokers don't like a smoking room. as far as decline, young people just are not interested in pool, you go out for league night, mostly over 40 age people. I myself learn pool at a very young age because my dads idea of watching me was to take me to a bar and give me some quarter while he got drunk. Then when I could drive I went to monoski's for $5 Saturday, place was packed with teenage kids all day, this was the 90's. Before internet got big, video game consoles got big, kids now would rather sit in front of a TV or handheld devise. Both of my boys are interested in pool, ages 4-6, because I have a table at home, got them little sticks, and play with them. And the six year old, does play pool on my phone and nexus.

I lived in a university town with over 30,000 undergrads and the 2 pool rooms had both closed by the mid to late 70's and the brunswick bowling alleys had sold their 9' gold crowns and replaced them with coinop valleys and video games by the early 80's. Pool (and bowling) have been on a loooong decline for decades as far as being played in public outside of barrooms at least. In other words the decline started way way before internet and console gaming.
Just this winter in the town I currently live in, the bar-restaurant near me had to relocate because of demolition of their leased property, and they reopened about a month and have gone upscale with their menu,,,and the pool tables are gone.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived in a university town with over 30,000 undergrads and the 2 pool rooms had both closed by the mid to late 70's and the brunswick bowling alleys had sold their 9' gold crowns and replaced them with coinop valleys and video games by the early 80's. Pool (and bowling) have been on a loooong decline for decades as far as being played in public outside of barrooms at least. In other words the decline started way way before internet and console gaming.
Just this winter in the town I currently live in, the bar-restaurant near me had to relocate because of demolition of their leased property, and they reopened about a month and have gone upscale with their menu,,,and the pool tables are gone.
It is an effect looking for a cause. I bought out the billiard room of a bowling alley in the mid 80's. 8 gold crowns and all equipment plus the original gold crown chairs and wall racks for $2000.00. They turned the billiard room into a meeting/banquet room.

Pool has always been on a roller coaster with good decades and bad decades. Although with all the other distractions now and things to do, it may have seen it's best days past. Not that pool is going away any time soon but it less and less seems to reflect our society and peoples interests these days.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Political Rant

Originally Posted by kybill9
This is a stupid post. Smoking isn't the cause of pool rooms closing. Its the cost of everything going up and wages going down. Thanks teabaggers, we love trickle down economics. We love busting up unions so people can earn less. We love right to work states so wages can be depressed. We love having no health care or retirement. We love working minimum wage and paying more taxes than Bank of America. It just like the other lies you hear. The recession, depression that started in 2007-2008 is something Obama created. People are so stupid in this country, they will believe the lies they are told because they are too lazy to care about the truth.

Youve started a political rant...sorry in advance

NC...right to work state, First Republican led House in 200 yrs. They blabbed their way into office telling the consituentcy they were going to save us from the evil democrats and Obamas Healthcare. First thing was lie to teachers, get them to give up tenure on paper then not fund the program and now those teachers who were to be paid for giving up their tenure have no tenure or no check for giving it up.

Now they want contract all of DOT and DOC and of course those contracts will be farmed out to friends. This leaves a huge majority of the people that voted them in without jobs that have benefits. I guess we are going to trust our prisons to people who make minimum wage like they wont be bringing in drugs, cell phones and god knows what.

Im just not sure what people wont believe because those same people that were lied to in the name of hating Obama and the democrats dont mind the fact that they are losing everything they have worked all their lives for....truly amazing.

People dont want to see the truth, its about class warfare from the top down and the people perpetrating the lies think its just fine if they can get you to believe their bs because they think they are so much smarter than everyone else. When is it ok to steal with a briefcase? Its still theft! These same people who are screwing us all for money, will sit next to you in church....simply amazing.

We are busy stealing the very last vestiges of freedom from our neighbor and are happy about it. The big guys tell us to do it and that its ok and here we go.....

Rant over

I do agree its a lot about economic conditions but that isnt everything. There are a lot of things vying for peoples attention. I think it will be tough on pool but I think there are ways that owners can develop markets on their own and do well with it.

BugHunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Youve started a political rant...sorry in advance

NC...right to work state, First Republican led House in 200 yrs. They blabbed their way into office telling the consituentcy they were going to save us from the evil democrats and Obamas Healthcare. First thing was lie to teachers, get them to give up tenure on paper then not fund the program and now those teachers who were to be paid for giving up their tenure have no tenure or no check for giving it up.

Now they want contract all of DOT and DOC and of course those contracts will be farmed out to friends. This leaves a huge majority of the people that voted them in without jobs that have benefits. I guess we are going to trust our prisons to people who make minimum wage like they wont be bringing in drugs, cell phones and god knows what.

Im just not sure what people wont believe because those same people that were lied to in the name of hating Obama and the democrats dont mind the fact that they are losing everything they have worked all their lives for....truly amazing.

People dont want to see the truth, its about class warfare from the top down and the people perpetrating the lies think its just fine if they can get you to believe their bs because they think they are so much smarter than everyone else. When is it ok to steal with a briefcase? Its still theft! These same people who are screwing us all for money, will sit next to you in church....simply amazing.

We are busy stealing the very last vestiges of freedom from our neighbor and are happy about it. The big guys tell us to do it and that its ok and here we go.....

Rant over
Awww, did someone actually try to pull the plug on the endless river of money going to teachers, and DOT workers, and other govt workers? Man it just breaks my heart that those poor worthless f's won't be receiving everything in life for free, paid for by us with real jobs, and beginning the minute they get hired.

I suppose you also support the idea that someone elected to the Senate or Congress gets instantly set for life, after ONE term. Retirement is free now! Yippee.

I've got a great idea, why don't we vote on paying for that crap. If you think it's a great idea, YOU pay. I think it isn't, I don't pay. Sounds great to me. I'll take care of my own, you deal with all the parasites.

That said, I think the economy has virtually nothing to do with pool and it's problems. Pool's problems are the people who play it. We all contribute to the problems of pool one way or another. And smoke definitely wasn't ever a feather in its cap.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I smoke and am glad we have to go outside. Doesn't bother me. Sucks when it's cold, hot or raining. Guess non smokers were inconvenienced for decades. Now it's our turn.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any non-smoking poolrooms in Las Vegas. If there are, how do they do?

I stated earlier in this thread that Las Vegas has 4 major pool rooms, smoking is allowed in all of them, as there are no such thing as smoking laws in Las Vegas.

All four of these rooms are doing quite well, and continue to do so.

No smoking means no business, and not just in pool halls.

That's why there are no smoking laws here .. this is a town that depends on tourism.

Come to Vegas and feel free to gamble, drink, smoke and have a good time.

Seems to be the way to go if your in it for the cash. :wink:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Better Demographic Group

I smoke and am glad we have to go outside. Doesn't bother me. Sucks when it's cold, hot or raining. Guess non smokers were inconvenienced for decades. Now it's our turn.

The OP suggested that we have a demographic problem in that who we have served over the years and I think hes right. So for me the next step is to go in a direction that takes us to a better demographic group.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laws are changing everywhere. Being a smoker today comes with limitations no matter what you are doing. Something I hear a lot is that pool players are cheap. So reading the OP demographics results it makes sense. So would you according to the study have smoking in your establishment where the clientele are cheap. Or not have smoking and try to bring in a higher clientele who spend money. I am a smoker and it doesn't stop me from doing anything. I just have to adjust. You might lose some smokers but you might gain customers because there is no smoking.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Laws are changing everywhere. Being a smoker today comes with limitations no matter what you are doing. Something I hear a lot is that pool players are cheap. So reading the OP demographics results it makes sense. So would you according to the study have smoking in your establishment where the clientele are cheap. Or not have smoking and try to bring in a higher clientele who spend money. I am a smoker and it doesn't stop me from doing anything. I just have to adjust. You might lose some smokers but you might gain customers because there is no smoking.

You havent said anything wrong we all have limitations. I see the solution to the demographic problem as an easy one to solve. You know what demographic is not working so you go after another that works better.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they should make every pool player smoke!! I can see the signs now SMOKING REQUIRED! Then we can finally figure out if it is the main factor in pool halls closing. JMO.... :)

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awww, did someone actually try to pull the plug on the endless river of money going to teachers, and DOT workers, and other govt workers? Man it just breaks my heart that those poor worthless f's won't be receiving everything in life for free, paid for by us with real jobs, and beginning the minute they get hired.

I suppose you also support the idea that someone elected to the Senate or Congress gets instantly set for life, after ONE term. Retirement is free now! Yippee.

I've got a great idea, why don't we vote on paying for that crap. If you think it's a great idea, YOU pay. I think it isn't, I don't pay. Sounds great to me. I'll take care of my own, you deal with all the parasites.

That said, I think the economy has virtually nothing to do with pool and it's problems. Pool's problems are the people who play it. We all contribute to the problems of pool one way or another. And smoke definitely wasn't ever a feather in its cap.

I agree with a lot you said but the retirement part isn't true at all, but it's a common misconception

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be nice if someone would enforce the laws regarding how far one can be while smoking from an entranceway. A friend of mine literally calls going through this area "Running the Gauntlet" LOL.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It would be nice if someone would enforce the laws regarding how far one can be while smoking from an entranceway. A friend of mine literally calls going through this area "Running the Gauntlet" LOL.

The laws moved smoking from private property into the public area where it affects those outside the businesses now, so that should come as not surprise.

Jeff Livingston

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy going outside with my friends, when they are having a smoke. We can enjoy our conversation, they can smoke, I can avoid it, and we all get along.

Diehard players are not going to quit going to the poolroom because of a smoking policy. Everyone on this forum sees the poolroom business through the eyes of a diehard player. They are only a small fraction of a poolrom's business.