CSI Presents...The Tiger Challenge: Dennis Orcollo vs. Jung-Lin Chang TONIGHT!

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only part that I am not 100% sure on is the first and middle names. Above you say the first name is two parts (which means Pin Yi together would be the first name, it is just two words for the first name just like "Mary Kate" is Mary Kate Olsen's first name) but then you go on to say that the first name starts with the middle name (which is confusing because a name can't be both your middle and your first name at the same time--I don't think?).

So to clear it up, is Pin Yi together his first name, and he still probably has some other middle name that he just doesn't normally use and that we have never heard mentioned before?

or

Is Pin his first name and Yi is his middle name, and in that culture you just always use your first and middle names together and there is no other name on his birth certificate aside from that and his surname of Ko?

Hopefully I explained my question well enough. Thanks for lessons.

I'm not taiwanese so I cant tell you if "Pin" is his middle name, If that's the case then "Yi" is his first name, not the other way around as you mentioned. The definition of middle name is not that clear as it is in the US, the truth is on every official paper we only have first name and last name, so officially the middle name doesnt exist.
One think i'm sure is Ko Pin Yi is his name written in his birth certificate.
One more thing, just fyi, women in asia doesnt add the husband last name to hers after married, there wont be any Pitts Clonney Damon Elisabeth lol

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not taiwanese so I cant tell you if "Pin" is his middle name, If that's the case then "Yi" is his first name, not the other way around as you mentioned. The definition of middle name is not that clear as it is in the US, the truth is on every official paper we only have first name and last name, so officially the middle name doesnt exist.
One think i'm sure is Ko Pin Yi is his name written in his birth certificate.
One more thing, just fyi, women in asia doesnt add the husband last name to hers after married, there wont be any Pitts Clonney Damon Elisabeth lol

Sometimea they take on their husbands last name to add onto her full name. As for middle names, no, theres only a first name. Pin-yi is two characters but just one first name. Usually the first name is one or two characters. Sometimes there are two charactered last names too. The last name is placed in the front so ko pin yi is the correct order. Pin yi ko would make zero sense.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimea they take on their husbands last name to add onto her full name. As for middle names, no, theres only a first name. Pin-yi is two characters but just one first name. Usually the first name is one or two characters. Sometimes there are two charactered last names too. The last name is placed in the front so ko pin yi is the correct order. Pin yi ko would make zero sense.

Let's hope the powers that be here at AZ see your post, at least the last sentence.
For in the latest news section the title of the article on Ko Pin Yi's win has it all wrong.
Thank you for stating the correct order, who knows maybe they'll fix it.
:eek: <------- I might look like this if I hold my breath.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i'd also like to add that Philippines is in Asia too (it's like 400 miles from Taiwan). :grin-square:

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[/COLOR]

Let's hope the powers that be here at AZ see your post, at least the last sentence.
For in the latest news section the title of the article on Ko Pin Yi's win has it all wrong.
Thank you for stating the correct order, who knows maybe they'll fix it.
:eek: <------- I might look like this if I hold my breath.

Having lived in both countries I can understand the errors made cross-culturally. I have seen quite a lot of funny english translations of words and phrases in Taiwan and I believe it is much worse in China. In English we have words that is made up of a set of characters but in chinese "words" can be made up of different numbers of characters and each individual character has one if not multiple meanings on its own as well. If you are interested ko pin yis name is actually more pronounced like keh bing yi and his little bro is bing zong. The jung in chang jung lin is more like rong.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
The only part that I am not 100% sure on is the first and middle names. Above you say the first name is two parts (which means Pin Yi together would be the first name, it is just two words for the first name just like "Mary Kate" is Mary Kate Olsen's first name) but then you go on to say that the first name starts with the middle name (which is confusing because a name can't be both your middle and your first name at the same time--I don't think?).

So to clear it up, is Pin Yi together his first name, and he still probably has some other middle name that he just doesn't normally use and that we have never heard mentioned before? Like Mary Kate Olsen's real name might be Mary Kate Ann Olsen, but like most Americans she doesn't use her middle name normally.
or
Is Pin his first name and Yi is his middle name, and in that culture you just always use your first and middle names together and there is no other name on his birth certificate aside from that and his surname of Ko? I guess you could think of this either in terms of not having middle names at all, or just always saying and using the first and middle names together no matter what.

Hopefully I explained my question well enough. Thanks for lessons.

It gets confusing because there isn't an A=1, B=2, comparison between cultures, with the name format.

For us, it's "given name" and "surname". With the Chinese, its "surname", "given name". The big difference is the given name format. With us, the middle name always comes after the first name. With the Chinese, the middle name is always before the first name. Also, they never separate the middle name from the first name. It is always used in conjunction, together.

Just to fvck you up more, siblings usually share the same middle name but have a different first name. Ko Pin Yi (Pin Yi) has a brother Pin Chung.

Mary Kate Olsen in Chinese culture would be "Olsen Kate Mary". Her sister(ficticious) might be Kate Sally andher brother might be Kate John . Kate John prolly got beat up alot., lol. Which, is my last point- with the Chinese, the middle name is always gender neutral.

Eric

Last edited:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-------------> Which Is correct <------------vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

It gets confusing because there isn't an A=1, B=2, comparison between cultures, with the name format.

For us, it's "given name" and "surname". With the Chinese, its "surname", "given name". The big difference is the given name format. With us, the middle name always comes after the first name. With the Chinese, the middle name is always before the first name. Also, they never separate the middle name from the first name. It is always used in conjunction, together.

Just to fvck you up more, siblings usually share the same middle name but have a different first name. Ko Pin Yi (Pin Yi) has a brother Pin Chung.

Mary Kate Olsen in Chinese culture would be "Olsen Kate Mary". Her sister(ficticious) might be Kate Sally andher brother might be Kate John . Kate John prolly got beat up alot., lol. Which, is my last point- with the Chinese, the middle name is always gender neutral.

Eric

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-------------> Which Is correct <------------vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Both. As I mentioned, there isn't an apples to apples comparison. You can't make their name format into ours.

While it's true that they don't consider it a middle name, if I said that, the villagers would really protest.

Eric >think I made things worse

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both. As I mentioned, there isn't an apples to apples comparison. You can't make their name format into ours.

While it's true that they don't consider it a middle name, if I said that, the villagers would really protest.

Eric >think I made things worse

The second character IF two characters are assigned to the give name is the primary character with the first character being a supporting one. However more often than not the two characters make up an actual word that means something together.

Having grown up in Taiwan vs living in the US for 5-6 yrs I will admit that the Chinese culture is very complicated with the different regions also pertaining to their respective dialect. Engrish is much easier

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
The second character IF two characters are assigned to the give name is the primary character with the first character being a supporting one. However more often than not the two characters make up an actual word that means something together.

Having grown up in Taiwan vs living in the US for 5-6 yrs I will admit that the Chinese culture is very complicated with the different regions also pertaining to their respective dialect. Engrish is much easier

I dunno about that. I have a full grasp of the situation and I'm having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say...:p

Eric