Dress Codes at the BCAPL

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
So most know I'm pretty vocal about dress codes in pool. My brain almost exploded before my 4th match in the scotch doubles tournament. Just after the coin flip, a ref walks up and says my partner is not in dress code and cannot play the match unless she changes. She has 15 min. to change because her dress did not have a collar. She was wearing a nice pink dress, with long sleeves and I thought looked great. Certainly much more presentable that 90% of the women in the tournament wearing their oversized denim button up shirt and hair that hasn't seen a brush since 1996.

mcyEZNp.png

So I had to go buy a $40 hustlin usa polo for her to wear over her dress so she could look worse than before. It was so far beyond ridiculous.

See, I understand they want people to be presentable, but the problem is having a code with specific requirements doesn't mean people will be presentable. It means they will wear a collar. Most people looked terrible yet within code. So the code shoots them in the foot. She looked lovely and the ref knew it... it's just a shame they felt the need to enforce a dress code issue that defeats the purpose of having a dress code.

We were stopped told by, I kid you not, over 100 people that told us we were without a doubt the best dressed scotch doubles team... that's why this makes me so frustrated. The dress code says females can shirts must have a collar, but it also says they can wear dresses as long as they have sleeves. We got clothes based on that... It just sucks. They used our "best dressed" photo as a framed example of best dressed!

paDk3oE.jpg

</rant>

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
here are the dress code requirements btw:

isrjCyV.png

Also, I looked pretty nice myself. Pink shorts as well. :)

WJRpxdp.jpg

Last edited:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks my heart rate went up just reading this, how stupid.
You were within the dress code requirements.
Not to mention you both looked good. :thumbup:

Maybe they should concentrate on more important things
like cue balls that are evenly balanced. Just a thought ! :eek:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Thanks my heart rate went up just reading this, how stupid.
You were within the dress code requirements.
Not to mention you both looked good. :thumbup:

Maybe they should concentrate on more important things
like cue balls that are evenly balanced. Just a thought ! :eek:

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. At least we had fun. Came one match from the money... next year!

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
So most know I'm pretty vocal about dress codes in pool. My brain almost exploded before my 4th match in the scotch doubles tournament. Just after the coin flip, a ref walks up and says my partner is not in dress code and cannot play the match unless she changes. She has 15 min. to change because her dress did not have a collar. She was wearing a nice pink dress, with long sleeves and I thought looked great. Certainly much more presentable that 90% of the women in the tournament wearing their oversized denim button up shirt and hair that hasn't seen a brush since 1996.

mcyEZNp.png

So I had to go buy a $40 hustlin usa polo for her to wear over her dress so she could look worse than before. It was so far beyond ridiculous.

See, I understand they want people to be presentable, but the problem is having a code with specific requirements doesn't mean people will be presentable. It means they will wear a collar. Most people looked terrible yet within code. So the code shoots them in the foot. She looked lovely and the ref knew it... it's just a shame they felt the need to enforce a dress code issue that defeats the purpose of having a dress code.

We were stopped told by, I kid you not, over 100 people that told us we were without a doubt the best dressed scotch doubles team... that's why this makes me so frustrated. The dress code says females can shirts must have a collar, but it also says they can wear dresses as long as they have sleeves. We got clothes based on that... It just sucks. They used our "best dressed" photo as a framed example of best dressed!

paDk3oE.jpg

</rant>

is it possible that since your partner was wearing pants/tights underneath that they considered it a shirt instead of a dress?

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
The ruling was stupid beyond belief but I gotta say, you look mighty suspicious of your cellphone.

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You sexy b*tch!!! How dare they question your fashion sense. You were rocking the lime green. Obviously they have NO idea who you are!!!

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless I'm missing something, there is no collar requirement on the dresses code. Looks like you had a poorly trained official making a bad call when it probably should have been avoided.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Unless I'm missing something, there is no collar requirement on the dresses code. Looks like you had a poorly trained official making a bad call when it probably should have been avoided.

It says "fold over collar" for shirt but she was wearing a dress. Regardless, women's clothing, for the most part, do not have collars. Like I said, I understand they want people to look acceptable, but she looked very acceptable and there shouldn't have been a problem.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
You should have busted out the "DYKWIA??!! Cleary you do not!"

jk man you two look great. Did you get in the dough?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
You should have busted out the "DYKWIA??!! Cleary you do not!"

jk man you two look great. Did you get in the dough?

Lost in the money round. We were both "open" players but played league in different pool rooms in NYC (10 blocks from each other) so they made us play together in the advanced division. Makes no sense but whatever, we just wanted to have fun. She did however get 9th in the women's Open and I went two and out in the mens open lol.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It sounds like the rules official didn't know the dress code, too bad. This kind of thing can really alter how one feels about a tournament. Mark would want to know about this since it's his baby.

You both looked great!

Dave

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
It sounds like the rules official didn't know the dress code, too bad. This kind of thing can really alter how one feels about a tournament. Mark would want to know about this since it's his baby.

You both looked great!

Dave

I talked to mark and his answer was pretty vague, but basically just said that dress codes are tough to enforce but necessary. I just don't think he understands that most of the people are dressing within the dress code and don't look good anyway. If you look good, you look good. Just let the people play.

When I told my wife about the situation her response was "why would you need to dress up to play pool?" :)