Who made a better Hustler James Garner or Paul Newman??

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who made a better Pool Hustler James Garner or Paul Newman??

Here James Garner and Kate Mulgrew in "Man of the People" 1991 TV Show... Numerous Pool Playing scenes.. below 3 Episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akxh88_dJgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtHZjlpIJuM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze_KnQr_uH0

RIP James Garner

Fats in an American Airline Magazine article in the '60, stated James Garner was better than Paul Newman.

IMHO Jim Garner was better simply cos Newman was too good looking to be convincing as hustler LOL

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of his funniest movies was The Skin Game, also with a much younger Louis Gosset, who plays a slave who Garner keeps selling and then helps escape his new owners.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who made a better Pool Hustler James Garner or Paul Newman??....RIP James Garner....

IMO, Paul Newman made the more convincing hustler.
His performance in the Hustler was amazing.
He exuded all the characteristics,
although a bit stereotypical by today's standards,
of a young pool player: cockiness, smarts, brashness, naivete, etc.

However, I thought his role in COM was stale somewhat.

When it comes to acting, to me looks don't matter.
It's whether one is believable or not in a particular role.
That is a talent that few actors possess (think Jack Nicholson).

James Garner in the Rockford Files was impeccable!
Pool hustler? Naw, no way.

Last edited:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I didnt see where Garner actually gets down on the ball and shoots? Did I miss it just skimming through those vids? With Newman there was enough footage there to see he wasn't a complete idiot at the table....like Tom Cruise looked like.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Who made a better Pool Hustler James Garner or Paul Newman, or Mars Callahan??
..............................................................Sorry had to add that one too!! hehe^^^^^
Can't forget PHJ!!!!
But I would vote for Newman in The Hustler. With Mars a close 2nd.
I mean he did send "the Pro" to the ATM 3 times!!!!

PocketPooler

Silver Member
I can honestly say and be more right than anyone when I say that Freddie Prinze Jr. is the all-time worst hustler.

I'll also add that Ricky Schroder, and the DBag along side of him in Poolhall Junkies are close second.

Tom Cruise would be third. what kind of idiot twirls their cue around yelping like girls at a slumber party???

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
go back and watch "Kiss Shot"!

I can honestly say and be more right than anyone when I say that Freddie Prinze Jr. is the all-time worst hustler.

I'll also add that Ricky Schroder, and the DBag along side of him in Poolhall Junkies are close second.

Tom Cruise would be third. what kind of idiot twirls their cue around yelping like girls at a slumber party???

Then you'll realise Whoopie Goldberg was the worst hustler ever!

Mary Tyler Moore may have been the best (TV portrayal) hustler.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
That TV series was totally new to me. Thanks for posting links to it. I enjoyed all of the episodes.
Garner would make an excellent hustler and I wished I could've saw him shoot the guy in the white tux.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Every Sunday on TV there are a ton of programs with very good hustlers in them. They make big money too. ;). Johnnyt

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Every Sunday on TV there are a ton of programs with very good hustlers in them. They make big money too. ;). Johnnyt

Johnny I do agree with you about some of them. The worst ones come on late at night though. Mike Murdock makes my blood boil.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hey, those are some good links. I will have to see if they have the full series on Project Free TV.

I have always liked both.

No matter what show James was in, he always seemed like the nice guy. Maybe he can play the nice Hustler.

Paul on the other hand could be the opposite.

So, I believe that Paul made the more convincing Hustler. Altho, in the re make of Maverick, he did a great job.

2 Hustlers, 2 different styles. Same result.

Hes up there ridin the range with Dean Martin, Yul Brenner, Johnny Cash, Henry Fonda and other wranglers.

Got me hankering for the type of Westerns that they used to make. Young Guns was pretty decent but 3:10 to Yuma was probably the best in a long time. For a TV Series, Deadwood was absolutely the best. Too bad that was cut short. That was a sad night when I watched the last episode and it went no where. I really missed Mr. Wu calling everyone a CK Suckah.

If you've never seen, "Streets of Laredo", hunt it up and give it a watch. My all time fav of James Westerns.

Last edited:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Newman

Paul Newman way out in first place the rest a distant second.Mike Siegel and Grady Matthews gave Tom Cruise very good compliments on his Pool playing ability.