How do you teach a kid to shoot pool?

9BallPaul

Banned
I've started with my nephews recently. They're in third and fourth grade, and already heavily into electronic crap.

So I've introduced them to my game room, where they can't bring cell phones, computers or any other of that e-paraphernalia. The TV is for sports only, and the pool table is the focus of the whole deal.

So far so good. We started with some simple instruction -- shoot straight through the middle of the ball. So I spread the balls on the table and let them take turns trying to shoot balls directly into the pockets. Of course this took some time but they soon got the hang of it.

Then I introduced them to the cue ball, and set up a series of wired shots -- combos that were dead in the hole. This got their juices going again, because the thrill of hearing the balls go into the pocket is, really, what pool is all about.

That's where our most recent lesson ended, with both enthused about coming back for more. But I'm a little conflicted on where to take it from here, and looking for suggestions.

If these kids become players, both will be sidearmers. Should I ignore this or leave it be? Thanks for all suggestions.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they like it, continue. I don't see there being any harm. I work with computers and networks all day at work, that's the last thing I want to touch when I am on my free time. I look forward to spending time away from electronics.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
sidearming can't be avoided when you start young. Some keep the sidearm (like keith) and others lose it as they grow.

I like your style, the idea of wired combos to keep them excited is a good one.

When I teach people draw, I set them up with a short, easy shot into the side pocket, pretty much right in the middle of the table. I figure the side is larger, so it's a little more forgiving to shoot into it, and since you're not stretching across the corner, there's never a reach issue. I think if you want to get them to pocket a few non-wired balls that aren't literally hanging... this would be a nice start.

Not sure what else you can do other than what you are already. Maybe set up some kind of reward for made shots.. a snack or a quarter or something.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
You teach them the same way you would teach anyone. Start with the fundamentals (grip, bridge, stance, and stroke) then move on from there. Teach them proper alignment, center ball, speed control, and anything else you would teach a new player.

Just remember their attention span is probably not as long as yours. When you notice them drifting, it's time to stop. Don't force them, don't overload them, and give them little teasers so they know they have something to look forward to during the next lesson.

Steve

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have 4 step grandson, non of the are interested in learning to play, two just bang, and that is fine as they re not doing drugs during their banging time.

Most kids today what Hi Tech Stuff, not Old School Pool, thus pool is dieing a slow death.

IMHO!

Also there are no Boy clubs, or YMCA any longer where I live to get kid interested in the game.

Last edited:

Lea A

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't it Loree Jon Jones whose father built a ramp around the table? Something like that would probably be more work than you'd like, but perhaps if you could find something for them to stand on (move it each shot) you could avoid the sidearm issue. Good luck!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
One thing that I would not discourage is when they start to use their hands to throw and push balls around the table, slamming and a bamming. This seems like irrelevant or wasteful behavior, but I learned a lot about how the balls and rails react by doing this.

Glad you and the kids are at the table! You might empahsize the social aspects of pool vs. the apparent loneliness of electronic games. Also, empahsize the respect for the game, the table, balls, cues, etc....that'll be something different from the usual, I bet.

Jeff Livingston

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Don't pay kids for made shots. The shot made needs to be the reward.

The whole deal is to keep it fun. The kids will naturally learn from watching you. Get some other players there and let the kids see pool played well by people having fun. Kids are wired to mimic adults.

I think this is very good advice. You can't force kids to do something, even if you consider it fun and good for them. You have to LET them do it. As DoubleD said, teach by example, while giving pointers on the four things that are truly fundamental to good pool: STRAIGHT through the ball, LEVEL cue, STAY DOWN, FOLLOW THROUGH. Try not to be dogmatic about the mechanics (stance, bridge, grip, etc.) because those things will change as they grow. Besides, those things are boring. Keep it fun!

Roger

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I used teach kids martial arts. Every child is different and learns at a different pace. Kids also have an advantage over the instructor, in that they have not learned any "rules". You'd be surprised how each child adapts to each situation. The trick is to keep it fun, but challenging. The reward is look on the child's face when he/she looks at you when they do something they thought they could never do.

Patience is key, the child will come around in their own time. Too much pushing and the child will simply quit.

emf123

Up the Irons!!!
Silver Member
Good thread!

I have a 2 yr old, he likes to stand on my weight bench and "shoot" :)
He either shoots the balls in by hand, but that got old for him :rolleyes: so now he uses an old, warped, viking shaft. I just let him do whatever he feels like for now. Obviously, as soon as he starts misbehaving, the shaft goes bye-bye.
When he gets older I definitely plan on having him stand on some sort of step. There will be no McCready/Hoppe side-winder reincarnated in my house :wink:
There is some primal joy associated with seeing the balls drop into pockets, don't know why, but kids love it naturally!!!

Eric

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
The mistake I made when my son was young was trying to over instruct him, remember to let them have fun.

bboyshibby

Registered
well i was taught by my dad at a younger age he taught me the fundamentals he never told me how to shoot a shot..never told me which english kicked my ass everygame..but i tell you hanging out with a dad on a pool table is good for family and when you actually beat em its probably the best feeling after i beat my dad the first time pools been my life and now i can teach him some stuff i would say..teach a kid how to shoot pool by letting them enjoy it....i know my mom forced me into taekwondo being korean an all...same concept i guess but i hated it..it wasnt fun for me..and i never excelled keep it fun..and they will learn by watching and when they get old enough go to bars with em and play :)

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very well put previously that overinstruction should be avoided.
One simple game at that stage would be to place an object ball infront of every pocket and let the kids try pocket every ball with cueball in hand.
That should motivate them quite a bit.
Increasing distance b/w object ball and pocket just a bit at the same game will help them to build confidence and have fun.
One last thing:
You don't have to force anyone into the game. If the kid is made for the game it will go after it driven by an internall need. At the same time we shouldn't forget keeping them focused at School which is more important.
There is only one interesting question?
Should we encourage a boy the same as a girl, considering that a girl starting early has much better chances getting at top level later where at men competition is allmost out of human limits nowdays.
My answer is yes, since they should be tought first of all that Pool is a great art and we don't go after higher goals only if we're about to make a living out of them. We study arts because we become better humans through them..
Respectfully,
Petros