Joint facing

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question:
I have a Cue that I’ve been playing with for a few years. A few days ago I had the maker do a slight refacing on the joint and joint collar of the shaft as I felt the cue didn’t tighten down enough. I played with the cue and it felt like a completely different cue. Really crisp hit, it seemed as though the cue moved the ball much easier and I was able to impart amazing amounts of english.

I’m trying to figure out what would cause the playability to change for the better with just a reface.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Behind the taper, material choices, tip, and ferrule, the joint plays a good part in how a cue plays. If something is wrong in the joint area it can definitely make the cue under perform.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took this info to heart and cleaned up the joint areas on all of my cues last night. My god, they all play like when I first bought them! I am dealing with huge amounts of English, so much so that I am going to need a few weeks to get used to it. I've been thinking so much that it might have been, ferrule, tip, type of cue, stance, grip etc. Been driving myself nuts trying to figure where my game went over the past few months. Big thank you to pd for bringing it up.