Blew BIH on 3 balls/WWYD?

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night's episode of 'couldn't get there'.

Chose to draw off the 7. Got dead straight on 8, cb near mouth of pocket about half a diamond down the short rail on the 9ball side. Pocked 8, slow rolled forward to first diamond short of the corner. Attempted cross side on 9, hit a point, sold out.

What would be your more reliable pattern?

note...drew off 7...long rail, long rail, short rail(landed on short rail almost frozen)/9ball about 3/8 inch off the rail.

...blew another one...dang:(

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
even though it is just 3 balls, this isn't the easiest runout. I think I may have tried to have a little angle on the 8 ball (meaning top English to come down to the bottom of the table as shown in the graphic) to roll up close to the 9 to run the 9 down into the corner. Again, this isn't the easiest of 3 ball runouts. Nothing to be ashamed of if you get out of line on this in my opinion.

Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would try the same thing. I draw with english. Cut the 8 and cross bank the 9 into the side pocket.

If I'm playing safe, it would be to bank the 8 to the opposite side of the table creating distance. He's going to have to come with two good shots to win.

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like shooting in top left corner with left english to come out of the bottom left corner 2 rails to get on 8. then draw back to side rail to shoot 9 in same corner as the 7.

this is assuming you had BIH as the title stated. Start with cue ball a diamond more to the right than where the picture shows it now.

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Personally, I would place the cue ball about 3 inches to the left of where it is in the picture and shoot the 7 into the top left corner with high and maybe a touch of right, aiming to hit the bottom rail about 2 diamonds from the bottom right pocket. Then make the 8 with follow (maybe a touch of left again) for shape on the 9 in the top right corner. (If I get very straight on the 8, I'd follow forward for shape on the 9 in the top left corner instead.)

On second thought, 7 in the bottom left corner with running english going three rails for shape is pretty reliable as well, and harder to mess up.

Last edited:

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Bob Jewett threw out a statistic in a thread that stuck in my head. The player that chose to draw the cue ball with BIH lost the game the majority of the time. With BIH, I would play the 7 in the same pocket but with an angle to hit it with top right and come 2 rails to the underside of the 8 ball. From there, I could hit the 8 with top and play the 9 down rail past the side pocket, eliminating the risk associated with trying to cross-side bank the 9.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the table conditions and speed. On my table I shoot the 7 with top inside, two rails down as straight in as possible on the 8. 8 in the upper right corner and the 9 is straight in in the upper left corner.

Easy peasy :)

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett threw out a statistic in a thread that stuck in my head. The player that chose to draw the cue ball with BIH lost the game the majority of the time. With BIH, I would play the 7 in the same pocket but with an angle to hit it with top right and come 2 rails to the underside of the 8 ball. From there, I could hit the 8 with top and play the 9 down rail past the side pocket, eliminating the risk associated with trying to cross-side bank the 9.

Sorry, didn't read all the replies.... DOH

great minds think alike :)

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
This is probably the easiest way out.

Attachments

• 123qwe.jpg
    123qwe.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,422

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is probably the easiest way out.

Kind of like this. But the 9 ball does not have to go upper right. Pocket 8 in upper right, roll cue ball to top rail, and 9 goes to upper left. Less forcing of the cue ball, and whrre the 9 is, the side pocket titties won't come into play.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I find things are usually more fun when titties come into play though...

Bad joke, sorry... anyway, personally I prefer not shooting down a rail across the face of the side pocket, especially on an older table.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I like the 1 or 2 rails to the 8 getting only a small angle to play the short side of the 9. Its much easier than trying too hard to get perfect. I tend to prefer bringing the cue ball to the short rail with spin because it makes speed control a bit easier.

Depending on the the exact position of the 7, sometimes it is ok to shoot it in one of the pockets by that 8 with follow. This way, you can guarantee yourself good shape on the 8 even though making the shot becomes a little more difficult. That shot would be best if the normal 1 rail angle is too thick or the cue ball comes too close to the side pocket for comfort.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find things are usually more fun when titties come into play though...

Bad joke, sorry... anyway, personally I prefer not shooting down a rail across the face of the side pocket, especially on an older table.

Lol! But you have to remember the old saying...."If it has tities or tires, its going to cause you trouble!" Pool tables included!

Since the 9 wasn't froze to the rail, I wouldn't hesitate. After all, its only a few inches difference from either pocket.

Last edited:

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry but this sound like another case of the commentator always getting out.

I would play it a bit harder or softer next time so as not to end up straight in on the next ball

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This was in my memory bank also , not sure where it came from, could have also been Bob from many years ago.

Last night's episode of 'couldn't get there'.

Chose to draw off the 7. Got dead straight on 8, cb near mouth of pocket about half a diamond down the short rail on the 9ball side. Pocked 8, slow rolled forward to first diamond short of the corner. Attempted cross side on 9, hit a point, sold out.

What would be your more reliable pattern?

note...drew off 7...long rail, long rail, short rail(landed on short rail almost frozen)/9ball about 3/8 inch off the rail.

...blew another one...dang:(

I would get from the 7 to the 8 like this. How you get on the 9 depends on how you get on the 8 but if it ended up like this I would go two rails up and back down for the 9.

3 ball out.jpg

ONB