The Results Are In - Pool Is Not A Sport

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
http://deadspin.com/poll-results-whats-a-sport-and-whats-not-1624120882

Pool finished ahead of Cheerleading and Chess but behind Bocce Ball, Ice Dancing and Croquet.

Have fun playing your activity.

bqwcakl3xoofogx5etjy.png

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pool finished ahead of Cheerleading and Chess but behind Bocce Ball, Ice Dancing and Croquet.

Thanks for the graph, watchez, but your conclusion is misplaced.

According to the results, over 40% of respondents called billiards a sport.
That's not bad.
However, the poll termed it 'billiards,' which is not 'pool.'
You can't make intelligent comparisons and conclusions about an item that isn't even in a poll.

We are more concerned with pool or pocket billiards.
NOW, if the relevant category had been labeled 'cue sports' then I would agree with your take.
Find a poll that includes pool, THEN we can talk.

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
hmmm... why wouldn't they call a game you wear shoes like this a SPORT? hmmm..... Are you competing or going to a boardroom meeting?

story_xlimage_2010_09_R4367_Bloombergs_Shoes_92010.jpg

hmmm.........

#hmmmmmmm

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
In other news: pro wrestling is all faked!:eek: :rolleyes: :frown:

And like the news, it all depends on where you get it from....

Pro wrestling is staged. Fake would indicated that they aren't doing anything remotely close to what you are seeing.

Yes, the sledge hammer shots are pulled, yes the chair shots are glanced (some of the time) yes many of the punches are glanced off the side of the head. That is all true, and staged for effect. Look into how many of them have had concussions, repeated concussions....the NFL has nothing on them.

You cannot fake an 8 to 15 foot drop, no matter how much padding there is on the mat and how the ring is spring loaded. That ring needs to be solid enough to support thousands of pounds of men jumping around, its quite solid. They land on the concrete outside the ring with a couple of inches of a mat on it.

Those guys are crazy, and they hurt each other and themselves quite often. (They also work over 300 shows a year, oft times.)

What it isn't, is "fake". Staged, yes. Pre-determined, yes. Fake, nope.

Its not a sport. Certainly. I'm not sure pool is, either. I'm coming around to Cleary's point of view

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
My wife wants to know why "Shopping" was not included.

According to her, it's intensely competitive, sometimes dangerous and always exhausting.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Anyone putting F1 racing drivers behind badminton is obviously an idiot. There is not much info in that result set that anyone can be taken seriously. The F1 drivers compete in triathlons and such during the off season just for fun.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
hmmm... why wouldn't they call a game you wear shoes like this a SPORT? hmmm..... Are you competing or going to a boardroom meeting?

story_xlimage_2010_09_R4367_Bloombergs_Shoes_92010.jpg

hmmm.........

#hmmmmmmm

that is why I exclusively wear these to play pool in now....makes it MUCH more legitimate as a sport :pbowling shoes.jpg

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one is trying in anyway to hurt each other... do they get hurt. Sure! Grown men throwng themselves around like that shit is going to happen for sure. But it's entertainment like a movie or television show. I can't take any list serious that has pro wrestling and roller derby on it which by the way is also staged entertainment like wrestling.

And like the news, it all depends on where you get it from....

Pro wrestling is staged. Fake would indicated that they aren't doing anything remotely close to what you are seeing.

Yes, the sledge hammer shots are pulled, yes the chair shots are glanced (some of the time) yes many of the punches are glanced off the side of the head. That is all true, and staged for effect. Look into how many of them have had concussions, repeated concussions....the NFL has nothing on them.

You cannot fake an 8 to 15 foot drop, no matter how much padding there is on the mat and how the ring is spring loaded. That ring needs to be solid enough to support thousands of pounds of men jumping around, its quite solid. They land on the concrete outside the ring with a couple of inches of a mat on it.

Those guys are crazy, and they hurt each other and themselves quite often. (They also work over 300 shows a year, oft times.)

What it isn't, is "fake". Staged, yes. Pre-determined, yes. Fake, nope.

Its not a sport. Certainly. I'm not sure pool is, either. I'm coming around to Cleary's point of view

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
We're not the only ones, so why play a victim? It's time to define our game, and.....

I have to agree that "one foul ball in hand" is not a sport.

"Two Foul" rules is what makes it a sport.

For me personally, I don't consider pool a game or sport as much as an "Art Form" and a way for a person to express themselves. Pool is a beautiful game, sport AND art form.

What other activity can make that claim? Pool has received a "bad rap" from the controlling forces in the country, however, we're not the only ones, so why play a victim? It' time to define and express the game in the most effective way possible.

Pool has it's unique qualities, can't we all just enjoy and enhance them?

To me one of the strangest things is that riflery is considered to be more of a sport than billiards. I get that it is more popular and has a military application etc, but when you think about it what could be less athetic than trying to keep your entire body as still as possible while moving only your finger? At least in pool you move around and the stroke includes the forearm and wrist in a coordinated motion, and you have the tactics etc. You have to respond to a near infinite number of different situations as well as an adversary that tries to make your life as difficult as possible. In shooting the rifle you have a static, unchanging target a fixed distance away, with only the wind (and partly the temperature) as changing factors. I don't get it at all.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me one of the strangest things is that riflery is considered to be more of a sport than billiards. I get that it is more popular and has a military application etc, but when you think about it what could be less athetic than trying to keep your entire body as still as possible while moving only your finger? At least in pool you move around and the stroke includes the forearm and wrist in a coordinated motion, and you have the tactics etc. You have to respond to a near infinite number of different situations as well as an adversary that tries to make your life as difficult as possible. In shooting the rifle you have a static, unchanging target a fixed distance away, with only the wind (and partly the temperature) as changing factors. I don't get it at all.

You have obviously have never been involved in a rifle competition. Way more to it then that. Humidity, mirage effect, barometric pressure, even the light conditions. Sunny or cloudy will change your perception of the target. Wind can be blowing east at the shooting line, and west at the target.
I've shot the National Matches at Camp Perry. I know how tough it is. 600 yards with open peep sights, in the late July sun, with a heavy shooting jacket, is something to be experienced!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

bqwcakl3xoofogx5etjy.png

Archery is no more physical or mentally challenging than pool, less actually since you are not shooting 200 shots in a row to win yet the survey ranked that as a sport.

Dodgeball has just about the same physicall activiy needs as raquetball yet one is ranked way lower.

I judge a sport vs a game simply. Do you need practice to get good at it and can you compete with people at it and what skill level are you playing at?

To me, it has nothing to do with how physical the game is.

Chess at a high level is a SPORT. When two beginners play in the cabin by the lake during a fishing trip, it's a GAME. When most people play Scrabble, it's a game, when the top Scrabble players play for $20,000 and get 4-5 times the score an average player can get, that is a SPORT.