Lucky cue by McDermott

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just got serious about pool recently and decided to get myself a cue. I didn't want to spend alot if money so I did some research on the cheaper cues. I came across the Lucky cues by McDermott and liked the specs and the reviews were nothing but good. So I ordered the L14 model cue for $48 from Ozone Billiards. I just got the cue today and I am blown away. It plays absolutely beautifully. The taper on the shaft feels really good and it hits as solid as any cue I've ever picked up. Design wise it's pretty basic with overlay graphics and red paint but it looks pretty good. I couldn't be happier. I used to have a $400 Viking my parents bought me when I was in HS and I like this cue just as much. Just thought I'd share my opinion in case anyone else was looking for an inexpensive cue. I'd definitely recommend the Lucky cues.

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
Lucky

I have one I bought off e-bay for $38 shipped. Threw w hard leather tip in it and It has become my breaker. I don't see the sence in spending 200-300 on a breaker when one of these works just fine.

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one I bought off e-bay for $38 shipped. Threw w hard leather tip in it and It has become my breaker. I don't see the sence in spending 200-300 on a breaker when one of these works just fine.

I totally agree. I think I'm going to get a wrapless one as a breaker when I decide to get one. The one I got was $59 on the McDermott website and I got it for $48 so I can't complain. They're nice cues for the price for sure.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Same here. My kicking game was slipping, so I bought a $35 one and started leaving my jump break at home. For a cheap cue, they arent bad.
Chuck

Donovan_45

Registered
I got one a couple months ago to use as a loaner cue for the guys on my league team. I bought it from ozone and had them put a kamui black medium tip on it. I am really impressed with how it plays. For the money I think it is a great cue. I still feel more comfortable with my main player, but I like to switch it up once in a while and shoot the lucky for an hour or two.

Corey

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy had one at the poolhall and really thought it was crap.Made a clicky sound that was by the forearm and these cues are just endorsed by Mcdermott ,thats why there's no lifetime warranty with these cues.If it works for you thats awesome but for me I would save my $50 and add a few more $50's and get a well made cue.For a bar beater or breaker,sure why not:)Takecare

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats great to hear, what a cue costs has nothing to do with how it plays-and this is great proof of that. I borrowed a old beat up orange Viking to play a guy one night in Salt Lake City. The cue I had with me was just wore out(pencil shafts). And the bet was enough that I needed something better, That Viking was a $100 back in the 80's, in its condition it was a $50 cue, It played so good after I won I wanted ti buy it with what I just won. Not a chance-the owner knew what he had.

I'm real happy to hear this, now get your self a good teacher/instructor and get a jump on the other new players, so you dont pick up any bad habits and have fun.

I wish more people would realize that the price of a cue has nthing to do with how it plays, the $20 ramin wood cues suck., Thats the exception where if you go to cheap then quality suffers. But nothing from McD is going to be bad, they have a good reputation and I dont see them ever selling junk cues.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have sold cues for 33 years going back to when I was 17 years old. From where I live, you either played with a Mcdermott, a Huelber, a Viking or at the time a weird named cue call Meucci. LOL, I have sold cues back in the day to many folk, then their kids and now grand kids are coming in. I love selling hand made cues, but, sell a lot of Mcdermotts in this $ 50.00 to $ 125.00 range. It is really to bad that a nice wood cue can't be sold in the $ 135.00 to $ 180.00 range, but, am happy to sell the " Lucky Brand " that Mcdermott Offers. I have not had any problems with the ones I've sold and only have sent one back due to a shaft problem that Mcdermott replaced very quickly. I have no doubt I will continue to sell Mcdermott Cues until the final day comes. Good Luck

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That being said after a long evening of breaking I started noticing a rattle, which I suspect might be a lose weight bolt, but I fear might be something more serious. I will update when I find out (need pliers to remove bumper).

I have the same issue with rattle, it is not weight bolt, it's the metallic butt cap that become loose, i put some glue there and it's OK.
That issue appears after 3 years of use.

Overall I can say McD Lucky are good cues even for beginners.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a sad news :( In our area I don't hear many problems with McDermott cue, even with Lucky or star series. Can you contact your seller? I think McD have life warranty, I don't know if this is available for cheaper cues, but you should ask him.

Last edited:

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Ive had both lucky and star cues too me the star cue was made much better but too me if i was low fund buying id go with a players hxt cue thats just me hope all works out

mr5ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought a $40 lucky off ebay as well to use as a breaker. I replaced the stock 1 inch weight bolt with a 6 inch weight bolt i bought at home depot for 68 cents and replaced the stock tip with a white diamond. Its a great break cue now and im into it for less than $50.