Review of my new Meucci Power Piston

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone who has bothered to read my "Introductions are in Order" post knows that I play a lot of Meuccis and also some of the specifics of my pool background, therefore I'm not going to go into all that here; this is going to be long enough as it is.

I just wanted to post a review of the new cue I've been working out for the last two months. For those of us who cannot yet afford a high-end custom cue, reviews of factory production equipment are more useful, IMHO.

The cue in question is a Meucci Power Piston Demo model (you can see a pic of it @Budgetcues.com. It's the exact same stick except I had my wrap clearcoated) 18.5 oz. with a Blackdot 12.75mm shaft, 15" pro taper, Moori medium tip. If you haven't seen the cue before, it's just a black cue with a black w/white speckle irish linen wrap with Ivorine joint collar and buttcap. Very simple, almost a sneaky pete style. By the way, you can get any color wrap you want.

I felt that my experience with Budgetcues to be a good one. I ordered the cue over the phone through a gentleman named Mark and received the cue in just over two weeks, in exactly the condition requested. I was told that I could have received the cue in less than a week except that I wanted a clearcoated wrap and that they had none in stock at the time so would have to have one built.

I began playing with the cue about two months ago. Note: my previous shooter was an HP-3 @ 19.25 oz. w/ the blackdot shaft also 12.75mm.

Shooting impressions (day 1-day 2): The stick feels like it shoots firmer than the HP-3. There also feels as if there is less vibration (there wasn't much with the HP-3, yet somehow there seems to be less anyway). It also seems to aim differently as I missed many cut shots over 20 degrees. Same with banks and kicks.

HOWEVER, it puts a significantly higher level of english on the CB for the same speed stroke(tips on both HP-3 and PPD are mooris/medium). In other words, this thing draws like Mike Massey is hangin' on it.

Interval: 4 days

Shooting impressions (day 4): Figured out why I'm missing cut shots. I was used to slightly more deflection with HP-3. Example: before, if the CB was near the long axis of the table at one end and the OB on the left rail between the first and second diamond near the other end, I aimed slightly forward of the 'crease' between the OB and the rail. If the scenario was reversed, I aimed slightly back of the crease.

It was just my habit from experience trying to pocket these rail shots.

With this cue I aim at the crease. Period.

Interval:14 days

SI(day 7): Stroke mechanics! Focus on stroke mechanics, specifically follow through (I believe I must have been 'poking' at the CB some significant part of the time, producing unintended english/squirt?). Now table-length higher speed accuracy improves. Some reason still having difficulty with all banks, hitting maybe 50/50 or less regardless of set-up.

Masse may not be an option with this cue.

Interval:9 days

SI(day 12): Banking problem turns out to be the same as cutting problem, I have to account for less deflection than I had gotten used to before. I am not a great banker, but the banks I used to be comfortable with start to fall again. Note: There is obvious improvement as I work with this cue, but I feel there is a very high level of concentration necessary to play well. If this turns out to be the case long term, I'm not sure how long I'll want to play with this cue. Automatic shots should be automatic shots, after all.

Interval:3 days

SI(day 13): I start getting more comfortable with kick shots. Certain kick shots turn out to be easier than they ever were with the HP-3. However, I'm uncertain how much is due to the cue, as I changed technique, using far less lateral english of any degree, opting for high/low/center instead. Only writing about it because my confidence on kick shots has soared. Whoopee! Side note: Managed a half-decent masse shot as well.

Interval:15 days

SI(day 18): Finally starting to feel comfortable with this stick. Was able to shoot most of my games without consciously correcting myself before the shot. In other words, it's starting to feel 'normal.'

Interval:6 days

SI(day 20): Won my first 8-ball tourney with the new stick. Even had 2 EROs, one on my break, the other after my opponent scratched on the break. Never even thought about grabbing my other cue; it stayed in the case the whole night.

Conclusions: I have begun to feel truly comfortable with this cue after over two months and just under 30 days of shooting. The high level of concentration I felt was necessary before either doesn't seem so difficult or, more likely, I've eliminated a lot of sloppy technique while trying to master this cue.

As for the cue itself, I originally purchased it to replace the HP-3, to try out the 'Power Piston technology,' and to have a shooter I didn't have to worry about as much at the bar (the Demo is only $200.00). Considering that the HP-3 is twice as much retail, the Demo is a bargain, especially as it is a more efficient and precise instrument for half the cost.

In spite of its moniker, 'Power Piston,' this is not a power hitter. If you're into blasting away at stuff, this cue probably will not be to your liking, as it is too easy to put unintended english on the CB at higher speeds. This is a finesse shooter, making the most from just the momentum of the cue itself.

It also snubs sloppy technique. A little unintended right or left of center at impact will either spoil the shot or create shape you may have never even thought was possible from that set-up.

However, use good stroke mechanics and in general ease up on velocity/power and this cue shines. Aiming is as close to point-and-shoot as I've ever experienced. This means that I can devote more mental energy to shape, as the shot-making solution requires less calculation.

Overall, I feel this is the best shooting Meucci I've ever played. Certainly it delivers the most performance vs. cost.

Now that I have been playing with this cue for several months I felt that an addendum to the original review was necessary.

In fact, I put this cue away for three weeks as I worked out a couple new-to-me cues (an Audrick and a custom Pechauer which will both be reviewed soon). It wasn't that I didn't like the Meucci, it's just that I wanted to try out my new toys and there is only so much time.

However, my game was in the dumps and in desperation I took the Meucci demo out of the case and in doing so made a few interesting discoveries.

First, in side-by-side shoots vs. my Meucci Original DH-2 the new Meucci lacks the feel/feedback of the older Meucci. The blackdot shaft just has less feedback, or feels 'deader.'

However, shooting the same english in practice, the new Meucci puts noticeably more spin on the cue ball than the older regular shafted DH-2. To make it even more confusing, the DH-2 draws harder with less effort, while the newer cue apears to play the top of the cue better. Note: I found that regular shaping and roughing of the tip helped maintain a consistent and reliable level of english.

While making these discoveries, I somewhat accidentally learned how to shoot long green higher speed shots precisely. I noted in the first review that stroke mechanics were very important to shooting well with the newer stick. More recently I learned that by shooting top english I was able to improve my consistency. I can play the bottom of the CB, but it does require more focus and is consequently more difficult to be consistent.

My bank shot success also improved dramatically once I figured out that less is more. This cue puts a lot of english on the ball, therefore less angle and less english is required. I found that by using a slower/lighter stroke also improved my success with banks. Ditto for kick shots.

To make a long story a bit longer, I am back to using this cue full-time (at least until next week when I have decided to officially start evaluating the custom Peach). Note: I also noticed that if I use a closed bridge just by tightening up my circle improved my accuracy.

So there you have it folks. Again, I find myself impressed with the Meucci Power Piston Demo. While it does lack the intuitive feel of the original creation by Bob, it can and will deliver a very high level of performance, which for the most part is higher than that of its older edition. In other words, the newer rendition may not feel so nice and sweet, but it can reward the player with a higher level of performance. So the only question that can be asked is what do you prefer? A wonderful feeling cue or a cue that feels a little numb in comparison to its older sibling but gives the satisfaction of higher performance.

Last edited:

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Thanks for your review. After listening to hundreds of cue piddlers and so called experts preach against Meuccis for decades, I started selling them in my shop due to so many requests for the name. One day while experimenting with various brands and tips, I took one back in trade, and having left my player at home, started hitting some balls and got into a match with a local. After about an hour of play, I got comfortable with the cue and went into run out mode. What i noticed mostly was, I could get the same distance and position plays across table, with much less effort. In fact, no other cue in my possession <and i have them all> could deliver the ball with such a soft stroke.

Juda4936

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Review

Thanks for you input
I wish more people would put out reviews

This should help if someone is thinking of investing in one of these cues

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
That is a great review, thanks.
I ordered a PP 1 a couple of weeks ago, so should be on my doorstep this week. Really looking forward to playing with it now. I have a couple of Dale Perrys' that I love. Just bought a McDermott Deacon and having serious issues with that one. Very disappointed, but then again its probably just me and I should give it a bit more time.
Terry.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
rkim99 said:
Anyone who has bothered to read my "Introductions are in Order" post knows that I play a lot of Meuccis and also some of the specifics of my pool background, therefore I'm not going to go into all that here; this is going to be long enough as it is.

I just wanted to post a review of the new cue I've been working out for the last two months. For those of us who cannot yet afford a high-end custom cue, reviews of factory production equipment are more useful, IMHO.

The cue in question is a Meucci Power Piston Demo model (you can see a pic of it @Budgetcues.com. It's the exact same stick except I had my wrap clearcoated) 18.5 oz. with a Blackdot 12.75mm shaft, 15" pro taper, Moori medium tip. If you haven't seen the cue before, it's just a black cue with a black w/white speckle irish linen wrap with Ivorine joint collar and buttcap. Very simple, almost a sneaky pete style. By the way, you can get any color wrap you want.

I felt that my experience with Budgetcues to be a good one. I ordered the cue over the phone through a gentleman named Mark and received the cue in just over two weeks, in exactly the condition requested. I was told that I could have received the cue in less than a week except that I wanted a clearcoated wrap and that they had none in stock at the time so would have to have one built.

I began playing with the cue about two months ago. Note: my previous shooter was an HP-3 @ 19.25 oz. w/ the blackdot shaft also 12.75mm.

Shooting impressions (day 1-day 2): The stick feels like it shoots firmer than the HP-3. There also feels as if there is less vibration (there wasn't much with the HP-3, yet somehow there seems to be less anyway). It also seems to aim differently as I missed many cut shots over 20 degrees. Same with banks and kicks.

HOWEVER, it puts a significantly higher level of english on the CB for the same speed stroke(tips on both HP-3 and PPD are mooris/medium). In other words, this thing draws like Mike Massey is hangin' on it.

Interval: 4 days

Shooting impressions (day 4): Figured out why I'm missing cut shots. I was used to slightly more deflection with HP-3. Example: before, if the CB was near the long axis of the table at one end and the OB on the left rail between the first and second diamond near the other end, I aimed slightly forward of the 'crease' between the OB and the rail. If the scenario was reversed, I aimed slightly back of the crease.

It was just my habit from experience trying to pocket these rail shots.

With this cue I aim at the crease. Period.

Interval:14 days

SI(day 7): Stroke mechanics! Focus on stroke mechanics, specifically follow through (I believe I must have been 'poking' at the CB some significant part of the time, producing unintended english/squirt?). Now table-length higher speed accuracy improves. Some reason still having difficulty with all banks, hitting maybe 50/50 or less regardless of set-up.

Masse may not be an option with this cue.

Interval:9 days

SI(day 12): Banking problem turns out to be the same as cutting problem, I have to account for less deflection than I had gotten used to before. I am not a great banker, but the banks I used to be comfortable with start to fall again. Note: There is obvious improvement as I work with this cue, but I feel there is a very high level of concentration necessary to play well. If this turns out to be the case long term, I'm not sure how long I'll want to play with this cue. Automatic shots should be automatic shots, after all.

Interval:3 days

SI(day 13): I start getting more comfortable with kick shots. Certain kick shots turn out to be easier than they ever were with the HP-3. However, I'm uncertain how much is due to the cue, as I changed technique, using far less lateral english of any degree, opting for high/low/center instead. Only writing about it because my confidence on kick shots has soared. Whoopee! Side note: Managed a half-decent masse shot as well.

Interval:15 days

SI(day 18): Finally starting to feel comfortable with this stick. Was able to shoot most of my games without consciously correcting myself before the shot. In other words, it's starting to feel 'normal.'

Interval:6 days

SI(day 20): Won my first 8-ball tourney with the new stick. Even had 2 EROs, one on my break, the other after my opponent scratched on the break. Never even thought about grabbing my other cue; it stayed in the case the whole night.

Conclusions: I have begun to feel truly comfortable with this cue after over two months and just under 30 days of shooting. The high level of concentration I felt was necessary before either doesn't seem so difficult or, more likely, I've eliminated a lot of sloppy technique while trying to master this cue.

As for the cue itself, I originally purchased it to replace the HP-3, to try out the 'Power Piston technology,' and to have a shooter I didn't have to worry about as much at the bar (the Demo is only $200.00). Considering that the HP-3 is twice as much retail, the Demo is a bargain, especially as it is a more efficient and precise instrument for half the cost.

In spite of its moniker, 'Power Piston,' this is not a power hitter. If you're into blasting away at stuff, this cue probably will not be to your liking, as it is too easy to put unintended english on the CB at higher speeds. This is a finesse shooter, making the most from just the momentum of the cue itself.

It also snubs sloppy technique. A little unintended right or left of center at impact will either spoil the shot or create shape you may have never even thought was possible from that set-up.

However, use good stroke mechanics and in general ease up on velocity/power and this cue shines. Aiming is as close to point-and-shoot as I've ever experienced. This means that I can devote more mental energy to shape, as the shot-making solution requires less calculation.

Overall, I feel this is the best shooting Meucci I've ever played. Certainly it delivers the most performance vs. cost.

I think this was a great cue review, I get tired of people who do not properly research by using what they are reviewing. your review on the other hand was a breath of fresh air. I sell them in my store and they are still popular even with all the bad press they get from many people. The biggest problem I with these cues is with the Manufacturer, when I place an order I always have to send cues back do to problems with their inspection department. I am currently waiting for two cues I sent back around three weeks ago. However, they are certainly great for people who can not afford to step up to a higher priced custom cues. I have always loved their designs, and that all except the Power Pistons come with a sealed wrap.

Back to your thread, I really think you did a great job. I truly hope to see more reviews from you in the future.

Thanks very much for your time.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's an intense review! thank you it's always good to read good detailed reviews.

the extra english you experienced might be the new tip the cue came with.

it's kind of strange that the cues play differently enough for it to throe you off your game even though they come with the same shaft.

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Review

Wow.

Honestly I never expected to have people actually like that review. I thought I'd get a lot of folks telling me it was too long. Or ripping me for even buying a Meucci (they seem to have such a bad rep).

It's funny, because I've been playing Meuccis for almost twenty years and never had a single problem with them. No warps, no flaking finishes, no delaminating shafts, nothing. Maybe I'm the luckiest Meucci owner in the world? Honestly, that's part of the reason I decided to take notes on my breaking in experience with this cue. If it turned out badly, I wanted to be able to go back and see what really happened.

In fact, I cut out about 1500 words because I thought, "no one's going to want to read all of this, you schmuck."

So thank you all very much for taking the time to read my review and even more for your positive feedback. I really appreciate it.

As for more reviews . . . well, I have an Audrick cue, a phenolic-tipped break shaft, and a J & J break/jump cue I could review after I've some time with them if you guys are really interested? I was planning on taking notes on the Audrick cue anyway as I have never even seen a Phillipino cue before.

Oh, and before I forget, is there anything I didn't talk about in my review that you thought I should have covered? Or something that you guys think should be covered in any review that doesn't? I'll try to remember those for next review.

Sincerely,

Rich

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PPD cue review

poolplayer2093 said:
that's an intense review! thank you it's always good to read good detailed reviews.

the extra english you experienced might be the new tip the cue came with.

it's kind of strange that the cues play differently enough for it to throe you off your game even though they come with the same shaft.
Thanks for your feedback. Also, I agree with you on both points. It probably is the newer tip when it comes to the extra english. As for the aiming thing, I looked over both shafts very carefully the other night and noticed that the new shaft is actually slightly thicker at the joint and tapers slightly more gradually than the older one. I don't have a clue why this would effect aiming but it is a noticeable difference in the two shafts.

However, I still believe that something about the cue is fundamentally different from my HP-3 significant enough to change my aiming solution. That and I think I was 'occasionally' using sloppy mechanics.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it, dang it!

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
manwon said:
I think this was a great cue review, I get tired of people who do not properly research by using what they are reviewing. your review on the other hand was a breath of fresh air. I sell them in my store and they are still popular even with all the bad press they get from many people. The biggest problem I with these cues is with the Manufacturer, when I place an order I always have to send cues back do to problems with their inspection department. I am currently waiting for two cues I sent back around three weeks ago. However, they are certainly great for people who can not afford to step up to a higher priced custom cues. I have always loved their designs, and that all except the Power Pistons come with a sealed wrap.

Back to your thread, I really think you did a great job. I truly hope to see more reviews from you in the future.

Thanks very much for your time.
Craig;

Thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate it (I thought I was going to get a lot of ribbing for how long it was). As for new reviews, I have an Audrick I just purchased that I'm going to take notes on, so there's a high probability that there'll be a review in a month or so.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Rich,

So why are Meucci's bashed?

I got started collecting Meucci's and so did a lot of us. Bob Meucci was instrumental in creating the collector market. He was involved with many developments in cue design and so forth, and was instrumental in creating the collector market. There are probably more Meucci's collectors than any other brandand a lot of first time collectors.

I've owned maybe 50 or more of the old Originals and I've had several Power Pistons and newer cues. Meucci was always good to me in terms of service. I needed shafts made for old cues and they sold them to me - wholesale even. I needed some old-style bumpers, they mailed them to me - free of charge.

What happened was the company became more and more interested in selling new designs and less interested in warranteeing and building a solid new cue. Problems with warpage, breakage of joints, ferrules, etc. - many of these problems could be solved with very little quality control, for example, making threaded ferrules and joints, beefing them up, selecting stronger materials than the weak plastics they use, using wood instead of plastic, using "A" grade shaft wood and allowing it time to season, etc.

It's kind of like how Ford and GM lost so many loyal customers to Toyota and Honda - people will only put up with so much BS.

Meucci lost many of their loyal customers, and deserved to. There's no other reason to bash the company. They earned it.

Chris

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
rkim99 said:
Hey Chris;

Hmm. I don't actually remember asking why Meucci gets bashed.

rkim99 said:
Or ripping me for even buying a Meucci (they seem to have such a bad rep).

Rich

Rich

It was in response to this statement. I was just explaining why the company has many disgruntled former customers.

Chrs

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
This is a great review. I am not really willing to shell out $1000 + for a cue stick just yet, so this made a lot of sence ot me. Thanks.

Josh

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
Rich

It was in response to this statement. I was just explaining why the company has many disgruntled former customers.

Chrs
Ahh. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rich

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buster8001 said:
This is a great review. I am not really willing to shell out $1000 + for a cue stick just yet, so this made a lot of sence ot me. Thanks.

Josh
Your welcome.

R.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Just got my PP1 the other day and have played a few games with it.
Very different taper than what I'm used to playing with. Very whippy.
So took into consideration the careful review and it helped. Thanks.

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People also need to know not all custom cues cost a grand. Just a thought.

My brother has a HP-1 with a red-dot shaft that shoots stiffer than even my older Meucci (it was the first year cue with the new design name on it). So when I bought the HP-3 with a red-dot hoping I would get the same hit I got something totally different. Me and my brother can lay our newer Meucci's on the table and can show you more messups than you have the fingers to count them out (and we are not pros at finding this stuff either). I was hyped because I thought to date the HP-3 was one of the best looking Meucci designs ever but was severely pissed when it showed up with flaws EVERYWHERE. Hell they pushed it out the door so bad the Meucci name is not even on the butt plate correctly like others. There are fisheyes everywhere in the finish. I just couldnt believe with the same setup we both got 2 very different hits. His red-dot hit as well as a good bit of higher dollar cues and mine shoot like, well, a red-dot.

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're welcome. Hope things are working out well. So far I have only reaffirmed my belief that proper mechanics and a smooth stroke are what is required to get the most of of the Power Piston/Blackdot combo. Let me know when "it starts to feel good" to you. I'd like to be able to compare notes.

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
powerlineman80 said:
People also need to know not all custom cues cost a grand. Just a thought.

My brother has a HP-1 with a red-dot shaft that shoots stiffer than even my older Meucci (it was the first year cue with the new design name on it). So when I bought the HP-3 with a red-dot hoping I would get the same hit I got something totally different. Me and my brother can lay our newer Meucci's on the table and can show you more messups than you have the fingers to count them out (and we are not pros at finding this stuff either). I was hyped because I thought to date the HP-3 was one of the best looking Meucci designs ever but was severely pissed when it showed up with flaws EVERYWHERE. Hell they pushed it out the door so bad the Meucci name is not even on the butt plate correctly like others. There are fisheyes everywhere in the finish. I just couldnt believe with the same setup we both got 2 very different hits. His red-dot hit as well as a good bit of higher dollar cues and mine shoot like, well, a red-dot.
Powerlineman;

Yes, of course, you are correct, not all customs cost a grand. Just the ones I seem to want. ;-) As for your experience with your HP-3 I am sorry. I love mine; so much so that I am considering 'retiring' her before I screw her up or someone steals her. However, I have heard stories from others that their HP cue-3 did not match up to mine in fit and finish. Makes me doubly glad I got lucky (I won mine gambling). Hopefully where ever you got yours they will send it back and get you a good one. If so, I think you'll like it.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
rkim99 said:

You are absolutely correct. The PP 1 is now my main squeeze. I see no reason to continue looking for that magic cue. At Budget, I can order an original spare shaft for a reasonable price.

Last edited: