The Deacon goes 150 and out on Balsis - Video

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A have that on a tape I bought over 20 years ago. The copyright is 1992 by something called "The Billiard Library Co." It was a good run but one of the most noticeable things for players today in the era of Diamond tables, is just how easy that table was.

On a Diamond table today Mr. Crane would have missed a number of times. This is not to denigrate anything about his skills just to point out something that jump out at you.

I am sure he would have run hundreds on even the toughest tables but many of the tables that Brunswick was putting out in those days were below what should have been championship conditions.

The commentator on the video was a guy who's name I forget, but was a famous Bowling commentator at the time and he didn't know the first thing about pool when he did this. He had like a short time to study the rules and what it was all about just before he started. He pulled it off pretty good though.

Attachments

• us open.jpg
    us open.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 887

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite shot is at 9:40 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4aldfgdQAU

Very creative to bump the ball into perfect position after making the combination. With only three ball left, not much room for error.
I think he thought the ball was going to move a few inches farther.

He ended up so close to the ball he was lucky it was even makable with any chance to get to the next ball. It looked like it had to be thrown in a bit and may have under hit it.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the video link... That was exiting to watch & I've played the game for 59 years. Those were the days & it looked like the crowd was having a great time.

Straight Pool is a great game, however it takes awhile to learn & each game takes awhile to play, something like Snooker or Golf. Our fast paced society doesn't give us time to enjoy these events any more.

I believe those days could come again, but the game of Pool needs a few dozen champions in the media to make that happen.

Keep 'em comin'.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the video link... That was exiting to watch & I've played the game for 59 years. Those were the days & it looked like the crowd was having a great time.

Straight Pool is a great game, however it takes awhile to learn & each game takes awhile to play, something like Snooker or Golf. Our fast paced society doesn't give us time to enjoy these events any more.

I believe those days could come again, but the game of Pool needs a few dozen champions in the media to make that happen.

Keep 'em comin'.
The problem with straight pool is, that one player can just run out without the other player even having a chance. In todays way of thinking that is counter intuitive to what we think as competitive sports. People want to see a match, edge of the seat competition. Pool does not provide that.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A have that on a tape I bought over 20 years ago. The copyright is 1992 by something called "The Billiard Library Co." It was a good run but one of the most noticeable things for players today in the era of Diamond tables, is just how easy that table was.

On a Diamond table today Mr. Crane would have missed a number of times. This is not to denigrate anything about his skills just to point out something that jump out at you.

I am sure he would have run hundreds on even the toughest tables but many of the tables that Brunswick was putting out in those days were below what should have been championship conditions.

The commentator on the video was a guy who's name I forget, but was a famous Bowling commentator at the time and he didn't know the first thing about pool when he did this. He had like a short time to study the rules and what it was all about just before he started. He pulled it off pretty good though.

The commentator is "Whispering Joe Wilson" indeed an old bowling commentator.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, what's your point?

What is yours, other than to be a jerk to someone who's sharing a video? No one likes forum police who only responds using phrases like "been posted before" or "try using the search function."

My point was that the OP was being informative. You were just taking up space and contributing nothing at all.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is yours, other than to be a jerk to someone who's sharing a video? No one likes forum police who only responds using phrases like "been posted before" or "try using the search function."

My point was that the OP was being informative. You were just taking up space and contributing nothing at all.
Probably 90% of everything posted on here has been said before in one way shape of form. So what.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah, right. Always jumping to conclusions, huh? I made the statement it's been posted many times. Big, freakin' deal! Talk about taking up space, sheesh:rolleyes:
If I were the forum police, I'd have been a hell of a lot ruder, kinda like you were here. Get a grip!

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Keep 'em comin'.

Actually I don't play much Straight Pool & my high run is 47, but Straight Pool is a great game. So is 15 Ball rotation, cut my teeth on that game. Maybe we could have some tournaments that players meet up to compete in 8-9-10 ball, plus 15 ball rotation & a race to 60 in straight pool. That would give us a workout....

I used to play Snooker all the time, I loved it & gambled at it. I've run a 100 points lots & lots of times.

I think all the games have their highlights & strategies we need to learn, before we can excel at them.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually I don't play much Straight Pool & my high run is 47, but Straight Pool is a great game. So is 15 Ball rotation, cut my teeth on that game. Maybe we could have some tournaments that players meet up to compete in 8-9-10 ball, plus 15 ball rotation & a race to 60 in straight pool. That would give us a workout....

I used to play Snooker all the time, I loved it & gambled at it. I've run a 100 points lots & lots of times.

I think all the games have their highlights & strategies we need to learn, before we can excel at them.

I'd love to see a modern 61 tourney. Totally under rated game.
That and cowboy.