Magic Rack @ Texas Open

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'm watching the Texas Open with them using the Magic Rack and I think that I would like to see the Magic Rack at more tournaments because it equalizes the break and gives a consistent rack.

What do you say?

JoeyA

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I'm watching the Texas Open with them using the Magic Rack and I think that I would like to see the Magic Rack at more tournaments because it equalizes the break and gives a consistent rack.

What do you say?

JoeyA

I say the Accu-Rack SOLO is better...... LOL

Actually templates do tend to equalize the break and speed up racking because they usually get the balls frozen fast.....

The downside is the big breaks go away because the energy transfer is so much higher when the balls are frozen that you can hit them softer to get a good spread...

I always prefer rack your own with a good set of balls and a good triangle but you don't normally get that out side of the US Open..... So I am all in favor of templates... And yes I know I am biased :thumbup:

Chris

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I say the Accu-Rack SOLO is better...... LOL

Actually templates do tend to equalize the break and speed up racking because they usually get the balls frozen fast.....

The downside is the big breaks go away because the energy transfer is so much higher when the balls are frozen that you can hit them softer to get a good spread...

I always prefer rack your own with a good set of balls and a good triangle but you don't normally get that out side of the US Open..... So I am all in favor of templates... And yes I know I am biased

Chris
Good comment I feel the same way for tournaments. When is nine ball, no magic rack, 10 ball I like the magic rack

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like template events too, but they are seldom seen around me nowadays.

They must add significant cost to an event though, no? Virtually all rooms have racks already, so the templates need to be brought by the tourney promoter. Given useful life and the tendencies for them to be abused and fall victim to sticky fingers, I can see why they are not seen more.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member

They must add significant cost to an event though, no? Virtually all rooms have racks already, so the templates need to be brought by the tourney promoter. Given useful life and the tendencies for them to be abused and fall victim to sticky fingers, I can see why they are not seen more.

I think a lot of the times they are donated by the supplier as a sponsorship deal. For example, the Mezz West State tour is using the new Turtle Rack, as Turtle Rack is one of the tour sponsors.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

I will usually offer to sponsor tournaments with templates if they are decent sized venues with streaming... I have even sponsored some smaller ones where there was no stream.. I slept this years Texas Open and forgot to contact them early so CSI beat me to it again this year =) It's all good tho Mark and Co are good peeps and if they aren't using my stuff I would just as soon as it be theirs.....

Just glad there are no problems this time like the Vegas events....

Chris

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Templates cultivate the most destructive conduct in any tournament: pattern racking. Pattern racking sets the stage for "one-ups-manship". This is not good. I will say no more.

Last edited:

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not make a template that on purpose gives a slug rack to everyone, rather than a perfect rack.

This would prevent wired balls flying in and pattern breaking.

JoeyA

Silver Member

GREAT POST!

Which brings me to the next thought. Might tournament promoters offer to SELL THE "TEMPLATE RACKS" to the players, IF they want to use them during the tournament.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to purchase one at an event for my personal use. Those who didn't want to purchase one could use the house racks.
What about them apples?

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
Why not make a template that on purpose gives a slug rack to everyone, rather than a perfect rack.

This would prevent wired balls flying in and pattern breaking.

That is an interesting idea. Then all the players would see if they can play hide and seek with the cue ball on the break.

JoeyA

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you say?

JoeyA

I agree, JoeyA.
The Magic Rack affords the same rack nearly every time.
Whether the resulting rack itself is "perfect" is not the important part.

It's the fact that even with the "inconsistencies" the Magic Rack might present,
it nonetheless affords consistent "inconsistencies."

And Bob's your uncle.....

Luckbox2013

Registered
I just played at the open and have played with the magic racks before then. I personally don't like them because they allow players to pattern rack and give themselves the same run out nearly every time. Also since at the open they were allowing soft breaks, just about anyone who knew how to break them could break and run like a champ.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Of course using some type of MR is the way to go, but not that flimsy one they are making now. No matter what you do you're not going to fix 9 ball's break completely. Nine on the spot and no rack your own. Oh, Oh, I hear no conflict typing away. Johnnyt

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
Of course using some type of MR is the way to go, but not that flimsy one they are making now. No matter what you do you're not going to fix 9 ball's break completely. Nine on the spot and no rack your own. Oh, Oh, I hear no conflict typing away. Johnnyt

When good players are using the magic rack
They should be playing on 4 inch pockets
If not it makes the game to easy

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
When good players are using the magic rack
They should be playing on 4 inch pockets
If not it makes the game to easy

I'd go 4 1/4" but I'm not a pro like you:). It cost me about $300 to find that out. If you told me before hand back then I'd still probably would have played you to find out. Johnnyt

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
I'd go 4 1/4" but I'm not a pro like you:). It cost me about $300 to find that out. If you told me before hand back then I'd still probably would have played you to find out. Johnnyt

I'm sorry Johnny t I don't remember us playing
Where did we play at ?
I should have walked up and said hi my name is Chris I play pro level pool

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There is no reason to have rack your own with the MR=no pattern racking. Johnnyt

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Magic Rack, but I think you would need alternate break at the higher and pro level tournaments.