Bottom of ball aiming

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I've only scanned the thread but maybe what I do will help as I'm not a system type & was never taught or even discussed such things before logging on to AZB.

I started out using ghost ball, but since seeing something that is not there is very difficult if not impossible my aiming evolved into a fractional overlap of equal & opposite sides of the CB & the OB. I do a visual sweep so to speak, I go from the lowest visual of the OB at center line, & then to the shadow spot, & then up to the light reflection in the ball. Once I decide on a vertical line that cuts the OB fractionally I take a visually equal fractional line on the opposite side of the CB and match it up to the line on the OB. Once matched I focus on the lowest part of that line on the lower quardrant arch of the OB. I use the lower quardrant as it is visually closer to that of the top point of the line on the CB & my tip, & I can see the shadow, the verticle fractional line point on the arch of the OB & the light reflection in the OB. So I'm connecting the top point of the verticle line of the CB with the bottom verticle line point of the OB. This takes quite a while to type out & read but the actual process takes only a second or two.

Just my method. Hope it helps.

Best Wishes to All,

Last edited:

EagleMan

Banned
Well, I did answer the specific question, a few times, as did others.

I am now totally convinced that you couldn't possibly be as stupid as
your answers indicate, plus the fact that you slipped a few times
to reveal you can read with comprehension(when you find it convenient)
so I am going with my inital assesment.

You are indeed a feclkess TROLL.
But thanks for stopping in.

Dale(captain of the troll patrol)

Well, now I am totally convinced that are as stupid as your posts suggest. You accused ME of referring to different aiming systems as though they were the same when it was in FACT YOU that did so.

And in spite of the fact that you THINK you answered my questions you flat did not. So, either you lack reading comprehension or the ability to render your thoughts into intelligible form.

And if the likes of you is the Captain of the Troll Patrol...then I am Commander in Chief...and hereby demote you to PFC and hereby order you to go play with yourself.

(-:

EagleMan

EagleMan

Banned
I've only scanned the thread but maybe what I do will help as I'm not a system type & was never taught or even discussed such things before logging on to AZB.

I started out using ghost ball, but since seeing something that is not there is very difficult if not impossible my aiming evolved into a fractional overlap of equal & opposite sides of the CB & the OB. I do a visual sweep so to speak, I go from the lowest visual of the OB at center line, & then to the shadow spot, & then up to the light reflection in the ball. Once I decide on a vertical line that cuts the OB fractionally I take a visually equal fractional line on the opposite side of the CB and match it up to the line on the OB. Once matched I focus on the lowest part of that line on the lower quardrant arch of the OB. I use the lower quardrant as it is visually closer to that of the top point of the line on the CB & my tip, & I can see the shadow, the verticle fractional line point on the arch of the OB & the light reflection in the OB. So I'm connecting the top point of the verticle line of the CB with the bottom verticle line point of the OB. This takes quite a while to type out & read but the actual process takes only a second or two.

Just my method. Hope it helps.

Best Wishes to All,

EXCELLENT description of your method.

Thanks!

EagleMan

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Huh???? I just COMPLIMENTED your post? And some called ME a troll....not the other way around. So...what's got your shorts in a bunch???

EagleMan

My shorts are not in abunch. I'm okay. We overlaped posts per your compliment. I was just trying to say that you seemed to be getting a bit too upset.

I hope you don't get banned. Take the warning for what it is. Come out of the game for a play or two to cool off & then get back in there.

Best Wishes,

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
"I've been playing pool "off & on" for the better part of 30 yrs, went down to the local pool hall today with my trusty old Palmer...I decided to try something I read on AZ a while ago, aiming at the bottom of an object ball, instead of the whole side of the cut....WOW!!! How did I not know this already? I couldn't miss a ball! why is this so much more accurate?" (emphasis added to that VERY SPECIFIC COMMENT!)

Is the advice to AIM AT THE VISIBLE BOTTOM OF THE BALL....or not?

(-:

EagleMan
How do I answer without you getting all over-the-top? Clearly, others are calling you on it.

Because you ask a question says things about visible bottom, it's nearly impossible as you've shown to bridge the gap between what the OP said and where your head is.

The important statement in the OP's post was the statement immediately after what you boldfaced. "Instead of the whole side of the ball." The context is clear. But you keep going to a "lowest point" post. The OP didn't say that, though I can see the confusion if one doesn't read the important clarifier.

Freddie

markdrums1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never intended my post to be "advice" or "instruction" just an observation....sorry I can't explain it better........

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don"t! Ever!
I want to look at the shot and then just decide where I'm supposed to put the balls together to make the shot (with position)!

I have been advised to try it that way! It just makes me more nutz! :embarrassed2:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've been playing pool "off & on" for the better part of 30 yrs, went down to the local pool hall today with my trusty old Palmer...I decided to try something I read on AZ a while ago, aiming at the bottom of an object ball, instead of the whole side of the cut....WOW!!! How did I not know this already? I couldn't miss a ball! why is this so much more accurate?
Do you use the bottom of the ball to get a clear fix on center ball and use center ball as a starting reference for estimating the cut? Like others use the OB's edge or one of its fractional divisions as a starting place?

pj
chgo

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you use the bottom of the ball to get a clear fix on center ball and use center ball as a starting reference for estimating the cut? Like others use the OB's edge or one of its fractional divisions as a starting place?

pj
chgo

I'm not Mark, but...

He couldn't get in words what he was seeing differently, but he wasn't making a "finding centerball" post or fractional aiming post.

He was trying to explain that he used to look at the whole face of the cueball but tried (based on something he read on AZ) to look at the bottom (half or semi circle edge) and suddenly was making everything.

He wasn't trying to allude to any aiming method, but the thread went that way.

Freddie <~~~ confirmed

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm not Mark, but...

He couldn't get in words what he was seeing differently, but he wasn't making a "finding centerball" post or fractional aiming post.

He was trying to explain that he used to look at the whole face of the cueball but tried (based on something he read on AZ) to look at the bottom (half or semi circle edge) and suddenly was making everything.

He wasn't trying to allude to any aiming method, but the thread went that way.

Freddie <~~~ confirmed
What does "look at" mean in the above?

EDIT: Oops, never mind, Fred - I found this post of yours that answers my question:

"In my particular aiming method, the highest I reference the object ball is the farthest edge point (halfball etc) which would be at the equator. Most other shots, I'm looking at points along the bottom edge of the ball instead of the face. I personally think it isn't easy to discern an aim point on the face of the object ball."

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What does "look at" mean in the above?

pj
chgo

Just looking at. No special meaning.

Kinda like....

When I was a new rider, I would look at the front of the bike when making a turn. Now after decades of riding, I started looking to where I was turning because of something I read on ProFessional Motorcycle Riding Training http://flpmt.com/ . I now find myself making tighter turns at slower speeds with no issues. How did I never know this before?

Like that. He didn't mean it to sound like so many aiming system discussions.

Freddie <~~~ making tighter turns

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
This is part of the contact patch version of Ghost ball and not the contact point version of Ghost Ball.

The bottoms of the balls are the contact patch, the area of the ball that rolls on the table.

For this discussion, a cut shot is used for example and you can reference the drawing in my avatar. There are three points needed for a shot. These three points make a line which I call the OB direction of travel line. These points are the OB end point, OB contact patch and the Ghost Ball contact patch.

The Ghost Ball contact patch is the start of the OB direction of travel line and the OB contact patch is the pivot point for adjustments needed for where the CB needs to be to make the OB go where you want, the OB end point.

The CB direction of travel line is from the CB contact patch to the Ghost Ball contact patch. The Ghost Ball contact patch just so happens to be at the points of Babe Cranfields, the Arrow, so you can use this training device to actually see where the CB needs to be to make a shot instead of estimating all the time where it needs to go. Cuts down on trail and errors that is inherent in other systems that do not have any training aids that can be used on the table during actual practice.

No surprise, I understand how he can use the bottom of the ball, or rather contact patch of the object ball.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Fred:
I'm looking at points along the bottom edge of the ball instead of the face. I personally think it isn't easy to discern an aim point on the face of the object ball.
One way the bottom of the ball could be used to help visualize aim points:

Project an overhead view of the cut angle onto the bottom of the object ball.
30deg-ohd.jpg

The projected cut angle intersects the bottom edge of the object ball directly beneath the CB/OB contact point on its equator.
30 deg pov.jpg

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing pool "off & on" for the better part of 30 yrs, went down to the local pool hall today with my trusty old Palmer...I decided to try something I read on AZ a while ago, aiming at the bottom of an object ball, instead of the whole side of the cut....WOW!!! How did I not know this already? I couldn't miss a ball! why is this so much more accurate?

I don't know why it is so hard for a lot of people to understand what you are saying. I just wanted to say thanks for your post. I tried this the other day at the pool room, and this was after playing for 50 years, and I was making long cut shots that I was having trouble with before.