funny league story ....after an intense moment

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me start with the intense moment first.

One of the I am captain of was in our 9 ball tri cups this past weekend. We made it to the finals and was cruising along building a comfortable lead each match. It all came to a screeching halt in the 3rd rack of the 4th match. My player...who happens to be my co captain received bih and was setting up to make a shot.

I did not agree with his shot selection and called a time out. Well he couldn't have been any more upset over that than he would have been if I had told him I had been screwing his ole lady. During our conversation on what he wanted to do vs what I thought he should do he grabs for the cue ball and says fine. Well lets just say I was not a happy camper when the cue ball slips and rolls up against another ball causing a foul.

I told him his carelessness just cost the team several points and if it had been a close game that foul could have resulted in us losing the entire match. Well we both cooled down some and he went on to win his match and we won the 5 th one with ease and won our bracket and moving on to ltc in a few weeks.

We did not talk to each other again until last night at league. I held an impromptu team meeting about our winning tri cups and brought up that time out.

I stated that I was taking partial responsibility for that incident because I did not inform the team that I would be calling time outs when ever I felt one was necessary and that they are not used to me calling time outs as I never call one during regular session.

My co captain said that he had been thinking about the incident and playing my strategy over and over in his head. He said he realized he acted inappropriately and that I did make the right call on that shot. Fwiw he is a 4 and I am a 6. I went on to tell he team I was proud of how well they all played including him even though he was intending to make a bone headed move on that shot . The whole team got a laugh out of that and all was well with the entire team.

When I throw my co captain out I told the team lets all mess with him about time outs. I said ...when he starts to make his first shot lets all yell time out together. They all readily agreed. When he gets down to shoot we all yell time out. He jumps up and looks at us with a wtf ? Expression and then starts smiling and continues to shoot. Next rack we do the same and it really messed him up.

I go over and tell the opposing captain what's going on and him and his player are cool with it so we yell time out several times. Even when we dont yell time out he starts to shoot ...stops...looks over at us like ...are you going to call one ? Silent treatment. He gets down to shoot and we yell time out.

Well he was so flustered he lost the match. Shakes his opponents hand and comes over to us laughing and said he guessed he deserved that.

I think instead of having 8 individual players we are finally starting to jell as a team.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Don't understand the whole co-captain idea as I'm starting to hear more about it recently. One captain is enough in my book. I never liked the idea of of calling timeouts either on a teammate unless it's a level 2 or 3 player that is still pretty much learning the game. I bent played APA in over 10 years but I do shoot in UPA now & thankfully only the player shooting can call a timeout if they need help.

I'm actually taking over as captain of my team this upcoming session that starts June 1. There are 2 better players than me on my team at the moment because of my back issues but I know I have tons more knowledge than them. I could see them getting irritated with me though if I called time out on them because they think they are much better than me.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't understand the whole co-captain idea as I'm starting to hear more about it recently. One captain is enough in my book. I never liked the idea of of calling timeouts either on a teammate unless it's a level 2 or 3 player that is still pretty much learning the game. I bent played APA in over 10 years but I do shoot in UPA now & thankfully only the player shooting can call a timeout if they need help.

I'm actually taking over as captain of my team this upcoming session that starts June 1. There are 2 better players than me on my team at the moment because of my back issues but I know I have tons more knowledge than them. I could see them getting irritated with me though if I called time out on them because they think they are much better than me.

On a single format team there is not really a need for a co captain except some one named to take charge in the event the captain is not there that night.

On a double jeapordy league co captains are pretty useful. Lets say I as captain am in the middle of an 8 ball match. I dont want to be bothered with ....hey its your throw 9 ball....who you gonna throw? Or I am throwing so and so ...ho is playing him?. I go over the line up before matches start and mark who I wan to throw against who. My co captain can inform the other team we th disturbing me while I am focused on my match.

He also keeps score and helps collect fees. Text so and so and see why they have not showed yet..etc.

Like i said regarding time outs. I never call them during regular session. Our team is kind of laid back ...go with the flow....have fun shooting pool during regular session.

However I get real serious during higher level tournaments. I watch every shot by every player. Even then I use time outs sparingly as 4's and up only get one time out per rack and I dont want to call one unless I feel its absolutely necessary.

You mention higher level players not caring for time outs. The odd thing with this team is that my 3-5's will ask for a time out a lot more than my 2-4's or my 3. My 5's are also more receptive when I do call a time out than my lower level players. Well I take that back....one of my 4's is pretty receptive but as you see in my op the other 4 is not....but it seems like he is now .:grin-square:

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me start with the intense moment first.

One of the I am captain of was in our 9 ball tri cups this past weekend. We made it to the finals and was cruising along building a comfortable lead each match. It all came to a screeching halt in the 3rd rack of the 4th match. My player...who happens to be my co captain received bih and was setting up to make a shot.

I did not agree with his shot selection and called a time out. Well he couldn't have been any more upset over that than he would have been if I had told him I had been screwing his ole lady. During our conversation on what he wanted to do vs what I thought he should do he grabs for the cue ball and says fine. Well lets just say I was not a happy camper when the cue ball slips and rolls up against another ball causing a foul.

I told him his carelessness just cost the team several points and if it had been a close game that foul could have resulted in us losing the entire match. Well we both cooled down some and he went on to win his match and we won the 5 th one with ease and won our bracket and moving on to ltc in a few weeks.

We did not talk to each other again until last night at league. I held an impromptu team meeting about our winning tri cups and brought up that time out.

I stated that I was taking partial responsibility for that incident because I did not inform the team that I would be calling time outs when ever I felt one was necessary and that they are not used to me calling time outs as I never call one during regular session.

My co captain said that he had been thinking about the incident and playing my strategy over and over in his head. He said he realized he acted inappropriately and that I did make the right call on that shot. Fwiw he is a 4 and I am a 6. I went on to tell he team I was proud of how well they all played including him even though he was intending to make a bone headed move on that shot . The whole team got a laugh out of that and all was well with the entire team.

When I throw my co captain out I told the team lets all mess with him about time outs. I said ...when he starts to make his first shot lets all yell time out together. They all readily agreed. When he gets down to shoot we all yell time out. He jumps up and looks at us with a wtf ? Expression and then starts smiling and continues to shoot. Next rack we do the same and it really messed him up.

I go over and tell the opposing captain what's going on and him and his player are cool with it so we yell time out several times. Even when we dont yell time out he starts to shoot ...stops...looks over at us like ...are you going to call one ? Silent treatment. He gets down to shoot and we yell time out.

Well he was so flustered he lost the match. Shakes his opponents hand and comes over to us laughing and said he guessed he deserved that.

I think instead of having 8 individual players we are finally starting to jell as a team.

Timeouts are a touchy subject for some people. I call them when I think they are necessary but always ask what the person wants to do first, and then may make my own suggestion. I have had a few players over the years that absolutely hated having them called. I try and respect that in all but the most dangerous of wrong shots. I never understood it, because I welcome if people call them on me. Sometimes others can see something you don't.

I would have been upset if one of my players did what your player did, but I likely would not have played the joke on him as you and the team did. Even if it was in jest. We give each other shit all the time but it sounds like you actually sharked him. It sounds like a bit much. We give each other shit all the time on our team. One of my favorites is to call timeout when they are about to break, but I wouldn't do it once the match started.

Co-captains are just there as backup, if I am away or whatever. Also helps to have another teammate who can attend captains meetings etc if needed. Neither of my co-captains on my teams do anything if I am there.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes one of us will ask a teammate if they would like a time out if we see something they don't. They then have the option.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes one of us will ask a teammate if they would like a time out if we see something they don't. They then have the option.

The sideline asking if you want a timeout is taking a timeout in APA rules. It's like saying are you sure you want to shoot that? The rule is, the player can ask for one and the sideline can refuse, but the player cannot refuse from the sideline, even the suggestion means a timeout has been called.