More TOI Bennies

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Teaching these things with a pool cue I believe is impossible

The fact of the matter is, the human body wasn't designed to play pool

With this in mind it's vital to learn how to coordinate the human body that we do have into a "pool playing machine," .....this means your shoulder, arm, wrist and hand must connect to synergistically control the cue.....and even more important, the TIP.

There is a way to do this and it took me thousands of hours to figure it out. Without my 8 years away from the game it never would have happened, it took rebuilding my own game to understand each component and how they work together.

Still, to teach this it's taking me 3-5 weeks (3 hours a week and depending on the student's practice regiment) to communicate verbally and kinesthetically (I use a sword, and various practice devises to create quicker muscle memory), which is really just a foundation that they cal learn from the rest of their lives.

Teaching these things with a pool cue I believe is impossible, it takes something heavier, and interestingly enough it must not be shaped as a pool cue. Our subconscious minds are very powerful - I've found that we can't make congruent stroke changes without completely removing the cue from the equation (to create new habits).......this allows the "anchors" to be temporarily eliminated so the new learning can take place. 'The Game is the Teacher'

Yes, I agree with you. It has to do with our wrists and also shoulders and elbows !!!!! For some guys, it is impossible to develop a "straight stroke". They will always struggle with this. They should stick with their NATURAL arm movement and move on from there.

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please explain what you mean.

Why the secret? Please explain what you believe.

It's not what I believe. It's how it works. Same angle shots are not played the same way all the time. The 30 degree I mentioned is just an example. It could be 26 or 47. You don't play the same angle for a cut to the right always the same way. Where cb and ob are positioned on the table should guide you to setup correctly for the shot. An overlap with the same setup doesn't work for every shot on the same angle.......... If you think it works, it's because you make adjustments. I don't like adjustments..............

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"In pool the moment of truth is also the moment of impact" - CJ Wiley

Keep using the TOI to train your stroke by results......results of how the object ball contacts the pocket.

TOI is the best way to detect flaws because you are intentionally moving the cue ball off it's straight path to over-cut the object ball slightly......although we calibrate for the center of the pocket the player will not get those results at first......if anyone has trouble "reading" their TOI results drop me an email and I'll help you get on the right path.....I can usually do this just by hearing your "shot patterns" relative to "shot speed"......'The Game is the Teacher'

"In pool the moment of truth is also the moment of impact" - CJ Wiley

Many champions didn't have perfectly straight strokes but those were still great strokes. A straight stroke should be everyone's goal, the straighter the better.
However, just because it's unorthodox, doesn't mean it's wrong. This is true for everything in life, not just pool.

TheThaiger

Banned
I wonder if you're friends that are in the top 32 in snooker would like to play me some pool?

I didn't think so.

Pocket Billiards and snooker are like "apples and oranges" - I would have as good a chance at beating them at snooker as they would at beating me at pool.

I had a 6/12 snooker table in my pool room for many years and can run 100 as easy as I can run 3 racks of 10 Ball.

Bullshit.

TheThaiger

Banned
Actually, no.

You might be a slight favorite against some of them in pool. Very slight though. But you would have zero, and I repeat, zero chance of beating any of the top 32 snooker players at snooker in a decent match length.

Come, come. CJ taught one pro snooker player TOI and he made back to back maximums straightaway. I know it to be true because CJ said so.

:rolleyes:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
hitting the "cue ball target" precisely with the edge of the tip.

The key is maximizing acceleration at the moment of contact, hitting the "cue ball target" precisely with the edge of the tip.

You'd be surprised how few advanced players actually accomplish this under pressure. It's not as easy as it sounds, that's for sure.

Many champions didn't have perfectly straight strokes but those were still great strokes. A straight stroke should be everyone's goal, the straighter the better.
However, just because it's unorthodox, doesn't mean it's wrong. This is true for everything in life, not just pool.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hmm. When initially reading the title of this thread in the thread listing, I was thinking someone was pointing out a bumper crop of a new kind of fruit.

Then I looked more closely, and saw the word was "bennies," not "berries."

:p
-Sean

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.snooker balls are the size of ping pong balls

Just a rumor.....snooker balls are the size of ping pong balls. ;)

Come, come. CJ taught one pro snooker player TOI and he made back to back maximums straightaway. I know it to be true because CJ said so.

:rolleyes:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a rumor.....snooker balls are the size of ping pong balls. ;)

Ah, so *THAT* is where the CJ analogy of "snooker is to pool as ping-pong is to tennis" comes from.

For someone that supposedly had a snooker table in his room, he sure doesn't know diddly-squat about snooker. Snooker balls are only 3/16ths of an inch smaller than pool balls. They are 2-1/16" in diameter. Still much larger (and exponentially heavier) than ping-pong balls.

But alas, the idea of CJ having a snooker table in his room (or even any experience with the game of snooker) are just more "CJ blustering from the hip."

-Sean

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Check out this video and you'll see it in vivid detail.

Remember, the TOI gives what it says......TOUCH.

Check out this video and you'll see it in vivid detail.

Yes, I drank the TOI Koolaid, lol. My stroke sometimes feels like an octopus falling out of a tree, Centerball oftentimes results with left spin, (I'm lefthanded, btw).

However, with TOI the cueball reacts perfectly nearly everytime. This is just a hint of inside, no big swooping or whatnot. It works and I don't know why, but my stroke seems to straighten itself out when I use it.

Actually, it might be better to not know why....

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You don't play pool, that may be part of the problem

Such a "potty mouth" - you don't play pool, that may be part of the problem. :groucho:

What would be the write phrase to coin....hmmm....... "billiards illiterate" LoL
I was lucky enough to have been revealed the "touch of inside" aiming system 3 or 4 years ago. CJ was just beginning to get back into pool, and I ran into him at a weekend tournament. After some conversation he was nice enough to explain to me many the TOI benefits and how he used it for years against the top players in the world with success that is undeniable. I began to fool around with it and had some immediate success. He guided me through it by explaining to me exactly how to "tweak" it a bit in order to accommodate my particular style of play.

CJ also helped me immensely on the mental attitude of pool. His experiences in the martial arts helped him to understand exactly how we think in pressure situations and how we can deal with these feelings and channel them into positive results.

He communicates the ideas in a brilliant way. He is a great instructor and is always there to answer a quick question for me regarding any of his practices. His success and knowledge of the game is undeniable. A lesson with CJ opened me up to a whole new "pool galaxy" and allowed me to improve at an exceptional rate.

I plan on heading to CJ's pool headquarters to do a follow up and soak up some more information. It's really fun when you learn how to make the game easier and see improvements. Some people talk about it and some do their talking with their cue stick! CJ's pool resume is phenomenal.

Bob D.

I can't be the only one who doesnt realeyes WTF TOI actually is, can I? I can see CJ is wearing clothes but the emporer talketh pure shit, doesn't he?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
CJ is waiting in Dallas to demonstrate TOI to any top ranked snooker player who wants an expensive lesson. :)