Pros vs cons of a short bridge

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i would like your opinion of a the benefits or detriments of a short bridge length
ive read that a short bridge length helps to diminish stroking flaws
but a longer brige length allows you to "open up" your stroke
i know allen hopkins had a short bridge length (i think) but for sure a short back swing
but i am not allen hopkins so i am asking your opinion for the average amateur
thanks in advance for your replies
:thumbup:
:smile:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Use your right hip to measure your distance from the cue ball

Remember one important factor.....the bridge length should always be connected to where you place your back hand. If you want to use a shorter bridge, grip the cue closer to the front of the wrap.

When you want a longer bridge, place your back hand further towards the back of the wrap, or all the way to the end of the cue.

Use your right hip to measure your distance from the cue ball (by placing your back- hand on your hip and measuring the tip 1 inch- 3 inches behind the cue ball.

As your hand moves back on the cue you will stand further from the cue ball, and likewise, if you grip the cue near the front of the wrap you'll stand naturally closer to the cue ball.

The distance (from the cue ball), the bridge length AND where you place the back hand must all by synchronized or you'll have some consistency issues, and won't maximize your full potential with the cue.

i would like your opinion of a the benefits or detriments of a short bridge length
i know allen hopkins had a short bridge length (i think) but for sure a short back swing

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember one important factor.....the bridge length should always be connected to where you place your back hand. If you want to use a shorter bridge, grip the cue closer to the front of the wrap.

When you want a longer bridge, place your back hand further towards the back of the wrap, or all the way to the end of the cue.

Use your right hip to measure your distance from the cue ball (by placing your back- hand on your hip and measuring the tip 1 inch- 3 inches behind the cue ball.

As your hand moves back on the cue you will stand further from the cue ball, and likewise, if you grip the cue near the front of the wrap you'll stand naturally closer to the cue ball.

The distance (from the cue ball), the bridge length AND where you place the back hand must all by synchronized or you'll have some consistency issues, and won't maximize your full potential with the cue.

Can this distance vary for each player (see above)? I noticed you have a more squared up stance than I do. I think my back hip may be farther back away from the cue ball. I'm over 6 ft. and usually use a longer bridge.

Best,
Mike

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

thanks for the reply cj
but
my question assumes the player at address or set position has his forearm perpendicular to the ground
ie his distance to the cue ball is correct
it has to do witht the obligatory length of the backswing
a short bridge length does not let you have a large backswing
on the positive side there is less distance for your stroke to wander from straight back and forward
a larger backswing allows you to gain more acceleration
ie more "stroke"
thats the pros and cons as i understand it
im interested to know what the instructors think

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to have a medium to long bridge length but as discussed, my backswing length varies depending on the power required.

I like the longer bridge length. It helps with my sighting and alignment.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The benefit of a longer bridge length is that you can get the best of both worlds. Just because your bridge is long doesn't mean you need to take a long backswing. Where as with a short bridge length, you are restricted as to how far you can pull the cue back.

With that being said, and even though I personally use a long bridge length (out of habit), I never understood why someone would teach it over a short bridge length. This, of course, is assuming that accuracy is in fact increased by a shorter bridge.

I never did by into the notion that a longer backswing is needed for more power. You already mentioned him, but Hopkins was someone that didn't have much problem generating power with his bridge length. And I believe he played before the super fast cloth that we play on today.

Just watch this shot on the 2 ball. Short bridge, hardly any backswing or follow through, and yet he's able to get some good action on the CB.

Sorry but that's not a power shot. He stroked that with a medium stroke, nothing special going on there. New cloth, fast table.

I know Alan's game pretty well having watched him play live often. He always preferred close position because he doesn't like shooting long shots. He would rather shoot a sharp angle than a long shot any day. I think his stroke has a lot to do with that choice.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer is complicated, bbb. There are a lot of factors that players consider but may not even consciously realize:

1.) Vision

2.) Height at the table

3.) Cue pivot point

4.) Type of shot

Some players prefer a longer length regardless of the shot. Others prefer the opposite. Some can mix it up. I prefer to mix it up, depending on what I need to do, however, I have to make adjustments, such as height at the table, back hand placement, and the speed of the shot when I change my bridge length.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The answer is complicated, bbb. There are a lot of factors that players consider but may not even consciously realize:

1.) Vision

2.) Height at the table

3.) Cue pivot point

4.) Type of shot

Some players prefer a longer length regardless of the shot. Others prefer the opposite. Some can mix it up. I prefer to mix it up, depending on what I need to do, however, I have to make adjustments, such as height at the table, back hand placement, and the speed of the shot when I change my bridge length.

i can say for me vision and height of the table are not an issue
as far as type of shot its the power type shots or shots with alot of spin that i wonder about especially when there is distance betwwen cue ball and object ball
i seem to do better on those type of shots with a longer bridge length
i had an interesting discussion with an instructor who felt a shorter bridge made the end of the shaft stiffer decreasing the benefits of a low deflection shaft (which i use an ob1) so you might get more squirt
this i guess is related to your point of the pivot point

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... a shorter bridge made the end of the shaft stiffer decreasing the benefits of a low deflection shaft ...
I believe this if false unless your bridge is very, very firm. Like a pirate's hook, for example. I think a normal hand is too soft to significantly influence squirt, just as the grip hand is too soft to significantly influence the hit during the hit.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as far as type of shot its the power type shots or shots with alot of spin that i wonder about especially when there is distance betwwen cue ball and object ball
i had an interesting discussion with an instructor who felt a shorter bridge made the end of the shaft stiffer decreasing the benefits of a low deflection shaft (which i use an ob1) so you might get more squirt

The pivot point, for offsetting squirt with backhand english, is significantly longer on an LD shaft than it is with a standard maple shaft. Perhaps that is what he meant.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

OK, OK, so what the heck is a "short" bridge? Long-Short?

If we measure the bridge length from the back of the cue ball to the VEE of the bridge hand we can speak in a common language.

Years ago my mentor set my bridge length at 10". Perfect for my body! That gives me a 9" stroke. That gives me about 7-8" to gain maximum acceleration. Little did I know at that time the favor he did for me. Most humans can get up to speed in 2-3".

A longer than 10" bridge for me does not give me more speed, but indeed could decrease my accuracy. I do agree that a "longer" bridge is easier to aim with.

My game is based around shortening my bridge instead of making it longer. There are times (finesse speeds or specialty shots) that I might have a 5" bridge.

It's hard to copy a bridge length unless the player is built just like yourself. Bridge lengths should match body styles and built for maximum speed and accuracy.

randyg

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe this if false unless your bridge is very, very firm. Like a pirate's hook, for example. I think a normal hand is too soft to significantly influence squirt, just as the grip hand is too soft to significantly influence the hit during the hit.

The pivot point, for offsetting squirt with backhand english, is significantly longer on an LD shaft than it is with a standard maple shaft. Perhaps that is what he meant.

thanks for your replies

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, OK, so what the heck is a "short" bridge? Long-Short?

If we measure the bridge length from the back of the cue ball to the VEE of the bridge hand we can speak in a common language.

Years ago my mentor set my bridge length at 10". Perfect for my body! That gives me a 9" stroke. That gives me about 7-8" to gain maximum acceleration. Little did I know at that time the favor he did for me. Most humans can get up to speed in 2-3".

A longer than 10" bridge for me does not give me more speed, but indeed could decrease my accuracy. I do agree that a "longer" bridge is easier to aim with.
My game is based around shortening my bridge instead of making it longer. There are times (finesse speeds or specialty shots) that I might have a 5" bridge.

It's hard to copy a bridge length unless the player is built just like yourself. Bridge lengths should match body styles and built for maximum speed and accuracy.

randyg

thanks randy for your post
could you answer the part i bolded please?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just wanted to say that I wrote "height at the table," not height of the table, like you wrote. Two different animals.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
thanks randy for your post
could you answer the part i bolded please?

Certainly.

One of the reasons that I use an "open hand" bridge a lot is for aiming. I have my entire shaft to sight down. Once I loop my finger over the shaft I have a very short aiming aid.

Somewhat like the difference between a handgun or a rifle.

randyg

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to say that I wrote "height at the table," not height of the table, like you wrote. Two different animals.

oops.... my bad.....:embarrassed2:
height AT the table isnt a problem'
thanks for pointing out my error