Brunswick ebony merry widow...value?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
$ 21.95... Bingo... :)

Great cue, doesn't look to be cracked or anything that is normally found... cool.

JV

Thanks for the compliment Dale!

Here you go. This is right at the time Brunswick transitioned from the old BBC decal to the new style, about 1939 - 1940. Although the catalog shows the old decals (they used old graphics) the new decals were in use. This is the page from my 1939 catalog:

http://www.palmercollector.com/Brunswick/Brunswick_1939_page_13.jpg

This cue looks straight out of the book including the new "noise suppressor" which we now refer to as he $2 rubber bumper :wink:. The case is from the 1940's I would say.

Chris

chrismcc

Registered
Ok ..so the cue you just posted as a point of reference is a much more desirable cue. It's not a titlist its a Brunswick 26-1/2 (predecessor to the titlist). The cue the OP posted is a nice cue but not worth near what the cue you posted here is.

That cue was not a model 26 1/2.
The 26 1/2 was made mostly of rosewood with only two veneers. One light one dark. With longer full spliced points.
It is actually an ebony hoppe Titlist as the owner stated.
This "medalist Professional. May be the nicest one left in existence.
Could bring big bucks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 518

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pvjo

The 26 1/2 was made mostly of rosewood with only two veneers. One light one dark. With longer full spliced points.
Could bring big bucks

That cue is an ebony 26-1/2 cue for sure. The BBC logo predates the Carom king logo
(Which precededs the titlist). They used many many kinds of woods to make these cues rosewood was probably the most common.

You can do a little reading yourself. this is a good reference....

http://www.belltownvintage.com/OldCues.html

kbooks3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue is available now..

My trade deal fell thru..so..I guess I need to post it up

Thanks for all the input..after all this..I'm still not sure what it should bring..and I can't find another one like it..I've looked all over for another one.

I do have some antique white Blue Mountain linen that I think would look great on it..so I'll be including it with the cue.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Posting this here, as it is a similar subject. I only have the butt, but it's a beauty - solid ebony, silk wrap, ivory joint, late 1800's to early 1900's decal. My plan is to clean lightly (nothing abrasive) and have a shaft made for it and stop right there. The silk wrap is very, very dirty. I have tried to clean these in the past with zero success, but at least in this case the dirtiness is consistent with no splotchy stains:

Here it is prior to any cleaning. BTW - alcohol will rub these decals right off. Also wanted to mention that the labels pictured in old Brunswick catalogs are not very useful for dating - they often used old pictures with out-of-date labels. I have a mailing label with a 1960 stamping on it that still uses the early 1940's curly B logo, and the mailing tube inside it has the 'flaired bottom' B.

(Thanks to my best friend for modeling)

Attachments

• 20170920_102654.jpg
    20170920_102654.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 20170920_102723.jpg
    20170920_102723.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 20170920_102816.jpg
    20170920_102816.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Posting this here, as it is a similar subject. I only have the butt, but it's a beauty - solid ebony, silk wrap, ivory joint, late 1800's to early 1900's decal. My plan is to clean lightly (nothing abrasive) and have a shaft made for it and stop right there. The silk wrap is very, very dirty. I have tried to clean these in the past with zero success, but at least in this case the dirtiness is consistent with no splotchy stains:

Here it is prior to any cleaning. BTW - alcohol will rub these decals right off. Also wanted to mention that the labels pictured in old Brunswick catalogs are not very useful for dating - they often used old pictures with out-of-date labels. I have a mailing label with a 1960 stamping on it that still uses the early 1940's curly B logo, and the mailing tube inside it has the 'flaired bottom' B.

(Thanks to my best friend for modeling)

Sorry for running you up on the auction, I really wanted these :sorry:

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's okay - I paid a fair price. I mainly just had to get a look at this Merry Widow, as I've seen very few in ebony. There was nothing spectacular in the rest of the group, but the M26 1/2 is Brazillian Rosewood and has pre-1915 veneer colors and will be a restoration project. The others all have crooked shafts, so I will probably refurbish the leather, leave the butts alone and have SP wood-to-wood joints and shafts made for 2-3 of them.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool cue. :thumbup:

The 261/2 is cool too. The two of them made the sale.

Shame the others are crooked. But you could still have shafts turned from them if you harvest the wood from further back. Just a thought.

I was watching the sale but was not a player on that one. Would have liked to but not right now....

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That's okay - I paid a fair price. I mainly just had to get a look at this Merry Widow, as I've seen very few in ebony. There was nothing spectacular in the rest of the group, but the M26 1/2 is Brazillian Rosewood and has pre-1915 veneer colors and will be a restoration project. The others all have crooked shafts, so I will probably refurbish the leather, leave the butts alone and have SP wood-to-wood joints and shafts made for 2-3 of them.

The 26.5 and the ebony butt were what I wanted, same thoughts as you. Light cleanup and leave alone.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could bring big bucks

Just noticed this post. It is completely understandable how Chris would get confused by looking at the Blue Book picture of a 2-veneer M26 1/2 (which never actually existed - they were all 4-veneer). I believe these pictures were taken from the Brunswick Balke-Collender catalogs, which could be very misleading, both in regards to model design shown in their pictures, and also the labels shown. It's often even difficult to tell what products and options they actually offered, as the catalog sometimes differed from the physical examples we've seen;e.g-Merry Widow listed as ebony only, Hoppe Pros listed as ebony only in early catalogs.

kbooks3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just happen to have two of these cues now..I will post a pic of them together later..

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The silk wrap on mine is perfect, but is extremely dirty so I need to clean it. I practiced on the twine wrap of the M26 1/2, with the following result. It came out so nice that it actually smells like clean twine. Of course this doesn't mean that the same technique (Magic Eraser with denatured alcohol) will work with silk. If it also works on silk, my guess would be that it might work on old linen wraps as well.

Attachments

• 20170923_124938.jpg
    20170923_124938.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 154

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to derail this, and let me know if you feel I should start another thread, but when cues like these with spliced shafts come up, it seems that they are almost all 2 points with butterfly splice. I have one from 1913 that is a 4 point splice. Was that uncommon, or is it just model specific?

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to derail this, and let me know if you feel I should start another thread, but when cues like these with spliced shafts come up, it seems that they are almost all 2 points with butterfly splice. I have one from 1913 that is a 4 point splice. Was that uncommon, or is it just model specific?

That's actually a very good and relevant question. The 2-point butterfly splice was always used on the Merry Widow. The 4-point splice was used on all other cues. I do not know if the butterfly was sometimes used on non-MW cues as well, but I don't recall seeing it. Of course, someone could certainly have ordered a butterfly-splice shaft for a different cue.