Who is your top 5 cue makers?

tuda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Rick Howard mace cues (a very underrated cuemaker)
2. Bob Frey (another very underrated cuemaker)
3. Tim Scruggs
4. Southwest
5. cant remember his name but he's from Alaska, and makes a solid cue.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Bob Frey
2.Tim Scruggs
I've owned a lot of cues in my time but for playability these 2 makers are it. I think Bob Frey is the most underrated cue maker that ever lived, his cues are the truth.

Wow. I gotta say that Bob's cues are visually amazing.

I'm glad you mentioned him... :thumbup:

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Rick Howard mace cues (a very underrated cuemaker)
2. Bob Frey (another very underrated cuemaker)
3. Tim Scruggs
4. Southwest
5. cant remember his name but he's from Alaska, and makes a solid cue.

Mike Bender

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top 5

Tony Sciannella

Michael Vollmer

Richard Black

Ron Haley

Joel Hercek

(not necessarily in this order – depends from cue to cue)…

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Bill McDaniel
Randy Mobley
Ron Haley
Dave Barenbrugge
Tony- Black Boar

Michael Vollmer
John Showman
Pete Tascarella
Kenneth Murrell
World Class- old McDaniel Shop

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't find where I ever gave my opinion on this thread...

I have about 12 to 15 in my Top 5.

Barry Szamboti
Pete Tascarella
Bob Manzino
Dennis Searing
Pete Tonkin
Bill Schick
Joel Hercek
Tony Scianella
Ernie Gutierrez
Andy Gilbert
Thomas Wayne
Mike Bender
Mike Lambros
Richard Black
Rick Chudy
Jerry McWorter

List goes on and on....

Joe Gold
Mike Capone
Dan Dishaw
Chris Nitti
John Showman
Randy Mobley
Marcus Dienst
Mike Webb
Bobby Hunter

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't find where I ever gave my opinion on this thread...

I have about 12 to 15 in my Top 5.

Barry Szamboti
Pete Tascarella
Bob Manzino
Dennis Searing
Pete Tonkin
Bill Schick
Joel Hercek
Tony Scianella
Ernie Gutierrez
Andy Gilbert
Thomas Wayne
Mike Bender
Mike Lambros
Richard Black
Rick Chudy
Jerry McWorter

List goes on and on....

Joe Gold
Mike Capone
Dan Dishaw
Chris Nitti
John Showman
Randy Mobley
Marcus Dienst
Mike Webb
Bobby Hunter

Not even an honorable mention for Ray Schuler?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Or even Schmelke ? Making quality cues for over 40 years, and many, many cuemakers uses or used their blanks. Quality cues for the masses, something to be said about that :)

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An investment in a pool cue will be crucial to improving your game. With so many options available, my top 5 list inludes:
Balabushka
Schon
Southwest
Black Boar
Lucasi

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

When I put all the criteria down, no. Best hitting cue I own is my Schuler, but the artistry isn't close.

I also forgot to list in my top 5

Keith Josey
Josh Treadway
Ed Prewitt
Richard Harris

I need to rethink this top 5 thing.

samsarakid24

A Little TWISTED !!!!!
Silver Member
Top 5

My Top 5.......All Pure Players

1) Ariel Carmeli
2) Bill McDaniel
3) James White
4) Kenny Murrell
5) Ed Prewitt (Have Not Played....But Love His Work)

Thanks.....Paul

Last edited:

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK here are mine of the ones I HAVE experience with that are LIVING, in no order.

Cues that are ART that PLAY!!

Mike Bender
Joel Hercek

no experience with but I BELIEVE
the captain Bob

Classic Cues
Searing (I want mine BACK)
Taz-lied no experience with this one
BARRY-want that back to

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
meucci

wheat

anything from asia in the 70's especially the 3+ piece cues

broomstick

20oz roofing hammer

Ruthless

~= Gator Nation =~
Silver Member
I can tell that most of you have never even owned prob more than half the cues that you list. I have owned so many cues since I started collecting high end cues in 1978 that I could never even guess the count (1,000+) and still have an amazing collection worth somewhere in the lower 6 figure range, I have went to and met most of the better cue makers around the country and know their craftsmanship and dedication that it takes to make a great cue.

1) David Kersenbrock (Chicago) is by far the man that changed cue making forever with several of his innovations. The play-ability is unmatched. Owning a cue made by the very eccentric David Paul Kersenbrock is an honor to all that are fortunate enough to find one for sale. Some of the older better known cue makers from the 1950's -60's made great cues for their time in history, Kersenbrock changed all of that and added technology in to cue making that makes all of those older cues seem like house cues compared to the way that cues play today.( I own 2 -1986 & 1999)

2) Jerry and Laurie Franklin at Southwest cues (Las Vegas) learned the art of making cues from Mr. Kersenbrock and a lot of early Southwest cues were made by him. Southwest's 7 year waiting list to get a cue speaks for itself. After Jerry sadly passed away in 1996 Laurie has kept the standards of their cues unchanged. (I currently have 5 from 1990 - 1996)

3) Ricard Black (Texas) - He got in to cue making on a fluke. His dedication for perfection is second to nobody. He makes very functional pieces of art that play phenomenal. For a former Investment broker he has made his work an art form. (I own 1)

4) Chris Nitti (Orlando) - He spent many years developing his skills and in the last 10 or so years has became one of the best cue makers anywhere. He does all of his work by hand (even uses and old hand operated pantograph and razor blade to cut his razor sharp inlays). The playability of the newer Nitti cues rivals Southwest in balance and hit.(I own one of the most complex cues he has ever made from my design and 1 1/2 years of work - In the 3rd Edition Billiard Encyclopedia)

5) Joss West - Stroud has been one of the top cue makers since the 1970's and like good wine he has only became better throughout the years. His cues are great playing cues from the cheapest to the elaborate the hit never changes. (I have 2)

6) Tad - (California) I had to add a sixth because Tad is another innovator that has developed methods that are now standard use by the majority of newer cue makers throughout the country (and most don't even know it). Owning at least one Tad cue is a must for any true collector. They also are great playing cues for any pocket table game. (I have 2).

I love cues and admire the work it takes to truly become a master at the art. There are pics of some of my cues on here from some years back. But I should actually get out and take pics of most of my collection. I have cues made by 90% of all of the cue makers mentioned in this thread and have owned so many more throughout the years that I can't begin to remember them all.

God Bless and shoot with what feels good in your hand. Because there are so many great cue makers climbing the ladder that it is not hard tom find a truly great cue for a couple thousand dollars made by any of 50+ dedicated people in the business. Over the years I have been blessed with being able to spend a little time in over 50 cue makers shops around the nation and all of them are great people that are willing to share a little bit of their knowledge and some tales (some tall) with you.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I can tell that most of you have never even owned prob more than half the cues that you list. I have owned so many cues since I started collecting high end cues in 1978 and still have an amazing collection worth somewhere in the lower 6 figure range, I have went to and met most of the better cue makers around the country and know their craftsmanship and dedication that it takes to make a great cue.

1) David Kersenbrock (Chicago) is by far the man that changed cue making forever with several of his innovations. The play-ability is unmatched. Owning a cue made by the very eccentric David Paul Kersenbrock is an honor to all that are fortunate enough to find one for sale. ( I own 2 -1986 & 1999)

2) Jerry and Laurie Franklin at Southwest cues (Las Vegas) learned the art of making cues from Mr. Kersenbrock and a lot of early Southwest cues were made by him. Southwest's 7 year waiting list to get a cue speaks for itself. After Jerry sadly passed away in 1996 Laurie has kept the standards of their cues unchanged. (I currently have 5 from 1990 - 1996)

3) Ricard Black (Texas) - He got in to cue making on a fluke. His dedication for perfection is second to nobody. He makes very functional pieces of art that play phenomenal. (I own 1)

4) Chris Nitti (Orlando) - He spent many years developing his skills and in the last 10 or so years has became one of the best cue makers anywhere. He does all of his work by hand (even uses and old hand operated pantograph and razor blade to cut his razor sharp inlays). The playability of the newer Nitti cues rivals Southwest in balance and hit.(I own one of the most complex cues he has ever made from my design and 1 1/2 years of work - In the 3rd Edition Billiard Encyclopedia)

5) Joss West - Stroud has been one of the top cue makers since the 1970's and like good wine he has only became better throughout the years. His cues are great playing cues from the cheapest to the elaborate the hit never changes. (I have 2)

6) Tad - (California) I had to add a sixth because Tad is another innovator that has developed methods that are now standard use by the majority of newer cue makers throughout the country (and most don't even know it). Owning at least one Tad cue is a must for any true collector. They also are great playing cues for any pocket table game. (I have 2).

I love cues and admire the work it takes to truly become a master at the art. There are pics of some of my cues on here from some years back. But I should actually get out and take pics of most of my collection. I have cues made by 90% of all of the cue makers mentioned in this thread and have owned so many more throughout the years that I can't begin to remember them all.

God Bless and shoot with what feels good in your hand. Because there are so many great cue makers climbing the ladder that it is not hard tom find a truly great cue for a couple thousand dollars made by any of 50+ dedicated people in the business.

So let me get this straight, you post within an OPINION based thread and the very first thing you do is tell MOST who have posted that they're lying? Really?.. Well you must be one hellava psychic. To top it off you then give your "opinion" which, let's just say, reads more like a advertisement for your own personal cue collection as well as "fact" for others to ponder... Oh yeah, here's a fact for ya, South West cues has a 12+ year wait not 7.. You must have been too engrossed in your 6 figure collection for the past 10 years...I dunno, maybe you should have "checked" yourself at the "thread door" before entering...