The BIG Mezz shaft thread!

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you can special order one in 12.8mm 12.5mm is standard. Hybrid Alpha is 12.8mm but has a different taper.

Does Mezz do special orders? My initial reaction to a Japanese company of this scale is that they wouldn't, on some grounds like they can't guarantee performance for the difference in thickness.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Mezz do special orders? My initial reaction to a Japanese company of this scale is that they wouldn't, on some grounds like they can't guarantee performance for the difference in thickness.

Yes they do. But the wait can be very long. If your in USA, I recomend sending Caroline Pao a email. She handles all things Mezz in the states.
Mezz isn`t so big as people think...

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The response to this thread has been very positive.
I will try to add pictures and more detailed description of everything Mezz in this thread.

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will try to add pictures and more detailed description of everything Mezz in this thread.

Agreed, this has helped me a fair bit in Mezz thinking. One of the upsides of having production consistency products that is well-received enough to have a wealth of opinions.

Now if only the same could be said about the differences in United vs. Wavy joint and the myriad lines of butts :p

samiun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought Mezz Axi 151 with WX700 in Dec 2016 which is my first Mezz cue, now the shaft are bent and had very very noticeable wobble when I roll the cue on the pool table. I don't know about any guarantee (if there's any), but I am thinking to buy a HP2 or ExPro for replacing the WX700. Does those shaft can suffer like my WX700 too?

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought Mezz Axi 151 with WX700 in Dec 2016 which is my first Mezz cue, now the shaft are bent and had very very noticeable wobble when I roll the cue on the pool table. I don't know about any guarantee (if there's any), but I am thinking to buy a HP2 or ExPro for replacing the WX700. Does those shaft can suffer like my WX700 too?
Did you buy your cue used or through a dealer?
I have seen warped Mezz shafts, although they are rare.
Warped butts is not very common. How do you store your cue?

samiun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you buy your cue used or through a dealer?
I have seen warped Mezz shafts, although they are rare.
Warped butts is not very common. How do you store your cue?
I bought it new and through a store/reseller. The butt are fine, the shaft in other hand are slightly wobble when I make the purchase, but the bent are just very slightly. I stored it on my work room with my other cue which are in the room for 5 years since I moved here. I think the way I store my cue are not the problem because I always wipe the cues, cases, and accessories for 2-3 times a month. For the last 4 years, I can only play maybe once every 3 months for 3 hours each.

spiraklas

Registered
ok. i also touch and feel that expro is a bit conical at a point..why is that? isnt supposed to be pro taper rather than european?...what am i missing?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought it new and through a store/reseller. The butt are fine, the shaft in other hand are slightly wobble when I make the purchase, but the bent are just very slightly. I stored it on my work room with my other cue which are in the room for 5 years since I moved here. I think the way I store my cue are not the problem because I always wipe the cues, cases, and accessories for 2-3 times a month. For the last 4 years, I can only play maybe once every 3 months for 3 hours each.
What's the humidity where you store your stuff? The humidity where you live is usually very high. Unless you're using a high-quality de-humidifier your climate may be working against you.

MalibuMike

Banned
Love the ExPro!

I had a Hybrid Pro II Shaft and wasn't all that impressed, I liked my Tiger Pro-X Shaft better, but this new ExPro shaft is awesome! Stiff hit like I was playing with an R series Schon, you get that same ping sometimes. I donot like the Zan tips and don't see what the fuss is about. I play with a Medium Dennis Searing Precision Tip and it plays awesome! Awesome spline action!
only $10 for these tips and they hit better then Zan or G2's etc.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Hybrid Pro II Shaft and wasn't all that impressed, I liked my Tiger Pro-X Shaft better, but this new ExPro shaft is awesome! Stiff hit like I was playing with an R series Schon, you get that same ping sometimes. I donot like the Zan tips and don't see what the fuss is about. I play with a Medium Dennis Searing Precision Tip and it plays awesome! Awesome spline action!
WTH is "spline action"? Been buying cues/shafts for 35yrs and have never heard that. What shaft quality/feature are you referring to?

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's so crazy how everyone has a different opinion on the same products.

i'm on the complete opposite side of the fence. I love the Hybrid Pro II shaft and won't play with any other ld shaft. The carbon composite spine is amazing and allows for retaper of the shaft without making the shaft less whippy. Mezz quality is superior to most other brands.

I bought several searing precision tips and had them installed on several of my friends cues. They all came back and told me they hated them. One guy had over 10 shafts installed with them and within a couple weeks had to take them all off.

My favorite tip is Zan or G2..as they have been the most consistent and most reliable in terms of quality and performance.

Goes to show there are no real absolutes in terms of equipment. Each person has their own playing style and preferences.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's so crazy how everyone has a different opinion on the same products.

i'm on the complete opposite side of the fence. I love the Hybrid Pro II shaft and won't play with any other ld shaft. The carbon composite spine is amazing and allows for retaper of the shaft without making the shaft less whippy. Mezz quality is superior to most other brands.

I bought several searing precision tips and had them installed on several of my friends cues. They all came back and told me they hated them. One guy had over 10 shafts installed with them and within a couple weeks had to take them all off.

My favorite tip is Zan or G2..as they have been the most consistent and most reliable in terms of quality and performance.

Goes to show there are no real absolutes in terms of equipment. Each person has their own playing style and preferences.

Yes people seem to judge stiffness, balance etc quite different.
I`ve had a Medium Precision tip on my shaft for about six months now, and I think they play fine for the price, they do mushroom quite a bit after installation, so a re trim is neccessary after the first five hours of play or so.

MalibuMike

Banned
Sorry I should have said “dynamic” spine, not spline

WTH is "spline action"? Been buying cues/shafts for 35yrs and have never heard that. What shaft quality/feature are you referring to?

Sorry I should have said “dynamic” spine, not spline

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just purchased an ExPro shaft from the Mezz site and requested a shaft over 4oz. They must have taken my request seriously because the shaft comes in at around 4.2oz

Haven't had a chance to hit with it yet but really looking forward to it.

EDIT: Hit with it and this thing is SOLID! Was going to get a Revo but not necessary anymore. The United joint fits nice and snug on my Webb 5/16x14. Another vote the Mezz ExPro

Last edited:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just purchased an ExPro shaft from the Mezz site and requested a shaft over 4oz. They must have taken my request seriously because the shaft comes in at around 4.2oz

Haven't had a chance to hit with it yet but really looking forward to it.

EDIT: Hit with it and this thing is SOLID! Was going to get a Revo but not necessary anymore. The United joint fits nice and snug on my Webb 5/16x14. Another vote the Mezz ExPro

Totally agree with you pal. I have been playing with my Ex Pro for a few weeks. Really love it. Best shaft I have used. What tip did you go with...? I went with the Zan that it came with. But thinking of changing it.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree with you pal. I have been playing with my Ex Pro for a few weeks. Really love it. Best shaft I have used. What tip did you go with...? I went with the Zan that it came with. But thinking of changing it.

Hey Coop...it's me Koop :grin-square:

Yeah, I went with the Zan Premium Soft tip. Only played about two hours with it so I'll hold off on judgment but so far I would say I really like it.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Coop...it's me Koop :grin-square:

Yeah, I went with the Zan Premium Soft tip. Only played about two hours with it so I'll hold off on judgment but so far I would say I really like it.

lol.. Thanks Koop.

gmoney1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

any noticeable difference in the united vs wavy joint hit wise?
hp2 vs expro?

i hit with a united joint with wd700- felt Very hard to me and did not like it. worth trying one of the other 2 shafts?

thanks

all replies appreciated!

Last edited:

MalibuMike

Banned
I love my Mezz ProEx but I had to put it down for a little while... R. Plant

I have only had the shaft 3 months, I like it alot, but the ferrule has started to crack. Will Mezz replace this? I had the stock tip taken off and put a Longoni Medium Tip on it. Does that nullify my warranty? Jezz I paid 4 bills for that shaft! can anyone replace the ferrule on one of these or will a bunch of carbon pour out????? Can I put a Ivory Ferrule or an old school yellowed Schon Micarta Ferrule on it? or does that blow the whole light end mass theory?
BTW, I scored the new improved Tiger Pro X Shaft from Tony, Tiger's owner and a heck of a nice guy, now Tiger is not one of these outfits that come out with a new shaft every year like Pred, OB and even Mezz.
The New Tiger Pro X plays awesome and as good if not better then my Mezz ProEx! and $150 bucks cheaper!!! Its has a better taper down to 12 mm, up from the 11.75 which was a tad too small for me. This shaft literally has ZERO measurable deflection on a 9 foot table! No wonder Tiger is so popular with 3 Cushion players! I like both shafts and can pick up one or the other and not know the difference!
OK Any Suggestions on my Mezz Ferrule?

From the pics below, you can see I have played with many different shafts and I am down to only 2! Mezz ExPro & New Tiger ProX with awesome new logo!!!!! like on their shirts!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Attachments

• 20150429_174214.jpg
    20150429_174214.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,070