Aiming question - close shots

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
I have found these to be extremely difficult to do.
Especially when it's a 30 deg cut or more.
This shot is within the 15 deg range.
How would you guys set up for this shot, regardless of what aiming system your using.
Cheers :D:D:D:D

Attachments

• Photo0394.jpg
    Photo0394.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 479

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you guys set up for this shot, regardless of what aiming system your using.
People have a tendency to stand right up at the table with shots like this. That's the worst thing you can do on any type of shot, but especially close shots when addressing them. My advice would be to stand a few feet away from the edge of the table on these types of shots and do all the working out from there.

I'm going to have a stab in the dark and say you hit them too thick? Its the most common way of missing these shots. Some misses are down to not following through, and stabbing at the ball because of the risk of a double hit. Make sure to cue through the cue ball and especially in the example you gave...i can't see there being any risk of a double hit.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stand behind the pocket you are shooting to and look at the over lap between the two balls. This will be your overlap when you aim at the cue ball to the object ball. If they are very close or you're shooting softly, you may need a touch of outside spin to offset the cling between the balls.

Best,
Mike

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE, ETC, looks like a left pivot to thicken the cut. I find CTE/Pro One really shines on these shots making relatively easy.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
You might take note that with the CTE PRO ONE system, as the balls get very close together the visuals will change. "15 degrees" is only a reference, most 15 degree shots fall into the A/C category. However as the balls get closer, the shot can become B, thin A/C, and so on. The visuals can change quickly with the balls very close together. It's hard to say by the photo, but this one looks like an inside B.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to still use CTE Pro1 to aim these. I start out with the normal aim point for the cut, then go thinner 1 category at a time until it looks right. I can do the same with other systems (90/90, SEE) by often just using 1/2 or 1 category thinner than if at a normal distance.

I check to make sure there aren't any issues with a double hit, then if possible for position I try to hit with a smooth follow or draw stroke, just to come through the ball nicely and minimize CIT as much as I can.

Scott

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Look at your pic. The shadow knows. It is a very good reference. I hope this helps!

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i pretty much always shoot that shot with inside, and most of the time a little draw, shoot it strictly by feel. I find my eyes tend to lie to me on that shot, so i just go with shot line that feels right, regardless of how it looks....works well for me.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With shots like this it can also be easier to pocket them by looking at the tangent line. Spot the tangent line and you almost automatically find where you need to hit the ball to make it go in.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

It depends on where the cb needs to be. Most of the time I spin this shot in ..don't over do the speed. Use the back of ball aiming....location on the table to the contact point to the pocket . Practice it till get the right speed and feel for the shot. When using inside I always connect a certain part of the tip
to the same area . Again ,practice till you get the right speed feel and make sure you always use the same tip position. You will come to realize this is a pretty simple shot.

Actually the balls are close here so the point to the pocket on the back of the ball would be your connection.

Last edited:

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie V taught me a simple way to make these. Just use center ball through the edge of the shadow on the left. This pic is a very good example these type shots. Hope this helps! :thumbup:

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
try this:
rise up high enough until you can see the whole object ball.
now you will be able to see what the heck you need to do.
on shots say, within an eighth inch apart or so, you will need to be looking pretty much straight down on top of the balls to see anything.
If you can't see the whole object ball you will be guessing.
my two pennies worth.
give it a try, that shouldn't be a hard shot for a pretty good player.
steven