What type of wood for new Cue

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the beauty of Wood.
I want to order a plain cue no points or inlays.
I do want Ivory Ferrel's, Joint and Butt Plate.

Thinking of asking Judd to make me a cue.
I don't want to wait 8 years for a cue.
I have 12 cues all made by Hall of Fame cue makers.
My Ivory Joss West cost me the most $180.00 in 1972.....grin

I am thinking of Pink Ivory, Tulip, or Snakewood.

What Do You Recommend ?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a tulipwood and desert ironwood fullsplice? That would be different for sure.

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wood

There is a beauty that Tommie is selling on AZB -- a Paul Dayton Tulipwood
With ivory. I bought a Dayton From Tommie, Great guy to deal with.
good luck in your search ..... MCP

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's personal preference. I too love the woods. Thanks to mentoring from Worminator, and seeing his incredible collection, my taste in cues has evolved substantially. I really don't care for BEM, BCM, Coco, Pink Ivory, Tulipwood and a few others. I do really like ebony, snake wood, rosewood, many burls and waterfall bubinga. That's me though, what appeals to you is most important.

Mike Durbin is nearly finished with an ebony, 4 snakewood points, segmented handle for me that I think will be killer. Durbin is a well kept secret, his cues play lights out as well as having great craftsmanship. You may want to check him out as well as Travis/Blackcreek if you're considering custom. Brent/BHQ also makes a fine custom cue for the dollar.

Pangit

Banned
Box Elder

There are lot's natural color, once stabilized it turns nicely. Two examples of Box Elder

Box_Elder_Vase_5x12_2663_640x.jpg

box elder.jpg

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I love the beauty of Wood.
I want to order a plain cue no points or inlays.
I do want Ivory Ferrel's, Joint and Butt Plate.

Thinking of asking Judd to make me a cue.
I don't want to wait 8 years for a cue.
I have 12 cues all made by Hall of Fame cue makers.
My Ivory Joss West cost me the most $180.00 in 1972.....grin

I am thinking of Pink Ivory, Tulip, or Snakewood.

What Do You Recommend ?

African Blackwood or Gamboon Ebony and Rosewood Burl (close 2nd is Ambonyna Burl)

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
For a plain jane where the wood does all the talking you can't go wrong with a high grade cocobolo and a high grade quilted maple.

Rumplestiltzkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Solid black ebony has great characteristics.. It hits super solid and with a 3/8-11 G10 pin it's almost impossible to find anything that hits better. Looks sharp pared with any other wood just about too.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I seen a cue made out of Sapele. It had a 3D hologram look to it. Really different and sharp looking. Don't know how the feel or hit was.

Was told by a few cue makers that a good wood is Mexican Bocote but many don't like using it because it is more difficult to work with.

What you may want to do is get a full cored cue and then the wood is basically cosmetic.

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
It's hard to beat ebony and ivory,got this cue last year,I had it 1 week and somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse
01rk1.jpg

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
colors/wood

Hi,

This might help you to get some ideas.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=309062
you can also look at superiourcues.com and look at Lambros cues, he does some really nice Merry widows and has a nice eye for combos.

Good luck with your cuebuild - loads of fun and very rewarding!

If you want more ideas please pm me, I just love putting a cue together.

Chrippa