Johnny Cash ' The Baron ' cue

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Thought someone might know what kind of cue this is. This was released in 1984. The cue looks like a Meucci with that style bumper.

Attachments

• csah.jpg
    csah.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,672
  • cash2.jpg
    cash2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,037
Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He dosent look like he is comfortable holding the cue. It easy to tell if a person plays pool just by how they hold a cue, even C----players look comfortable with a cue in their hands, where non players dont know where to hold it or anything, they look awakward to me.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He looks like some type of aqueth special guest in these pictures. Where are you getting your sources from? Also, it appears that he is in the shadow of somebody else in the picture. Nice pics overall though.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think that is the cue he used in the movie. The cue he used in the Movie was most likely a custom Viking and says The Baron in it.

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen the movie and cant say that it was a "all time high". The only
celebrity movie where the actors act like pool pool players was
"The Hustler" and "The Color Of Money" (The Baltimore bullet was OK but nothing more).
As far as the "The Baron and the kid" movie it honestly looked like they where
using McDermott´s but that is only based on my own start in the 80s and memories
of the cues from then. I'm sure someone would pop the correct answer for you.

K

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thread from February 2007 on AzBilliards Forum: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=54417&highlight=Baron

I found the Sotheby's auction of the cue stick used by Johnny Cash in the movie "The Baron." It sold for $6,000.

The auction read: Property from the Estate of Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash

JOHNNY CASH POOL CUE IN CASE FROM THE FILM "THE BARON AND THE KID"

600-800 USD
Lot Sold. Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: 6,600 USD

DESCRIPTION:
Two-piece cue with extra upper shaft, with sand paper and two keys; case inscribed The Baron; the cue with pearl inlay and inscribed Baron and Johnny Cash. 2 items

In 1981, Johnny Cash released the album "The Baron." The title track made its debut at #76 and rose to a high of #10 on the country charts. In 1984, Johnny Cash starred in the movie "The Baron and the Kid" abut a pool hustler who befriends a boy. Johnny used this cue in the movie. The cue was also used in publicity for the album.

Here's a picture of it below. They were asking 6- to 800 and got 6 dimes! There's a little piece of American pool trivia! There aren't too many songs written about pool, American style!

Attachments

• 4973D_N08048-375[1][1].jpg
    4973D_N08048-375[1][1].jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,773

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought someone might know what kind of cue this is. This was released in 1984. The cue looks like a Meucci with that style bumper.

Stake Horse, The cue is a Meucci Original and can actually be seen better in Cash's Music Video "The Baron " at 3:16 time track on the video below

The Man in Black's first concept video came with the picturization of his 1981 hit, "The Baron." In both the song and video, "The Baron" is a wise and elegantly attired pool shark who teaches Billy Joe, a rising young hustler, how the game is really played. After he's taken the upstart's last dime, the desperate Billy Joe bets his last possession of value, his mother's gold wedding ring. Instantly, the Baron recognizes the ring as the one he gave his wife years ago before he abandoned her. That's it! Game called on account of tears. An ideally cast Marty Stuart plays the role of Billy Joe. (In 1984, the video evolved into a made-for-TV movie, The Baron and the Kid.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbUFOsqJ8-0

The Movie
Part 1 of 4 from youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsO8OTVi_ug&feature=related

Last edited:

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool, you can see the logo :)
But this is not the same cue that JAM posted a pic of which I guess might have
been Mr.Cash private cue ?

K

Newton, you're right. the cues are not the same.
Video: Meucci Original Cue.
The Movie: Was either Viking Cue or a McDermott Cue? Youtube have the movie in 4 part. See my last post.

Did anyone catch this:
The Man in Black's first concept video came with the picturization of his 1981 hit, "The Baron."

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Stake Horse, The cue is a Meucci Original and can actually be seen better in Cash's Music Video "The Baron " at 3:16 time track on the video below

The Man in Black's first concept video came with the picturization of his 1981 hit, "The Baron." In both the song and video, "The Baron" is a wise and elegantly attired pool shark who teaches Billy Joe, a rising young hustler, how the game is really played. After he's taken the upstart's last dime, the desperate Billy Joe bets his last possession of value, his mother's gold wedding ring. Instantly, the Baron recognizes the ring as the one he gave his wife years ago before he abandoned her. That's it! Game called on account of tears. An ideally cast Marty Stuart plays the role of Billy Joe. (In 1984, the video evolved into a made-for-TV movie, The Baron and the Kid.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbUFOsqJ8-0

The Movie
Part 1 of 4 from youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsO8OTVi_ug&feature=related

http://www.martystuart.com/MSS.htm

For those who like real country music.

Jeff Livingston

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool, you can see the logo :)
But this is not the same cue that JAM posted a pic of which I guess might have
been Mr.Cash private cue ?

K

So are we discovering that the one that went for auction and sold for $6 K never saw a film camera? That buyer might want to check the authentication done by the auction house then.

Personal items and screen used items are way different in the collectors world.