8 ball rules Q - hypothetical monster break

doitneatly

Registered
The various online rulebooks don't mention this practically-impossible circumstance, but I want to be ready just in case it happens to me!? :)

Imagine an 8ball league in which the table is open after the break.
Then imagine some lucky/impressive once-in-a-lifetime sledgehammer break where all seven of the striped balls are potted by the break. (The odds of this are vanishingly small, but I don't think they're zero)
This miraculous break also did not sink the cue ball or the 8-ball.

Once the celebratory cheering dies down... :D

Does the breaker now have a choice to shoot at the 8-ball for his very first shot?

I think the official answer is no, his only choice for a first shot is to shoot at one of the solid balls, because that table is still open. (his best strategy might be to intentionally MISS one of the solid balls, but that's a separate point...)

Do you agree?

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing on a sheet of ice maybe?:eek:
In any event it should be child's play to run out the rest of the solids with no stripes running interference. In a league game I would be more than happy to give that a shot. It should also be easy to plan things to keep the 8 ball in a safe place in case I were to miss. Additionally it should get me a decent shot at the eight ball that I may not have after the break. Missing on purpose gives the opponent too much opportunity unless there is a really good safety involved.
Clearly the rules need some work!

I used to hear of a hustle where after the break I get to take all of my choice of the solids or stripes off the table and you only have to shoot in the 8 ball. You will never get a decent shot at it! A pretty similar situation.

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all seven of the striped balls are potted by the break. (The odds of this are vanishingly small, but I don't think they're zero)
This miraculous break also did not sink the cue ball or the 8-ball.

Once the celebratory cheering dies down... :D

Does the breaker now have a choice to shoot at the 8-ball for his very first shot?

I think the official answer is no, his only choice for a first shot is to shoot at one of the solid balls, because that table is still open. (his best strategy might be to intentionally MISS one of the solid balls, but that's a separate point...)

Do you agree?

Don't agree ;)
This was discusses a while ago in a German billard board. The rules specify that he has a choice and can elect to shoot the 8 ball; he can also elect to play the solids.

In the rules quoted there was a separate and explicit paragraph for this situation.

I also think it's logical, because why would you penalize a player for an excellent break. Also, if he elects to play stripes when the table is open, and they are gone, the natural ball to play next is of course the 8. So, it's fully in line with the rules.

Cheers,
M

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I have made 7 balls on the break of an 8 ball rack. 3 from one group and 4 from the other.

If the table is still open and all of one group are gone, you can nominate and shoot the 8 ball.