Calcutta Payout

crav'in action

Registered
This past weekend I played in a $40 entry 10-ball tournament at a local bar which included a Calcutta. They had 2 blind bids and my buddy and I bought the second bid and chose one of the favorites. The player bought half of himself from us and ended up winning the tournament. So he gets the first place money for winning and half of first place in the Calcutta and my buddy and I split the other half. Monday I see a post by him on Face Book bashing us for not giving him a percentage of our share in the Calcutta that "HE" won for us. Am I missing something here? I thought the concept of the Calcutta, requiring us to allow him to buy half of himself, insures that he gets his fair share. If he wanted more than half, he could have bid and bought himself and had the whole thing. If we had all of him and got all the 1st place Calcutta money, of course we should give him a percentage but with him getting half, I don't agree with his way of thinking. Please tell me if I am wrong.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a nice payday for Calcutta and the guy gave me a little over 10%.

You should probably tell him drinks are on you for a celebration party.

He might carry you across the finish line some other time then.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This past weekend I played in a $40 entry 10-ball tournament at a local bar which included a Calcutta. They had 2 blind bids and my buddy and I bought the second bid and chose one of the favorites. The player bought half of himself from us and ended up winning the tournament. So he gets the first place money for winning and half of first place in the Calcutta and my buddy and I split the other half. Monday I see a post by him on Face Book bashing us for not giving him a percentage of our share in the Calcutta that "HE" won for us. Am I missing something here? I thought the concept of the Calcutta, requiring us to allow him to buy half of himself, insures that he gets his fair share. If he wanted more than half, he could have bid and bought himself and had the whole thing. If we had all of him and got all the 1st place Calcutta money, of course we should give him a percentage but with him getting half, I don't agree with his way of thinking. Please tell me if I am wrong.
You're right and he's a nit. Don't jack with an a-hole like that again.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, there is no "requirement" that you must allow a player to buy 1/2 (or any amount) of themselves in the calcutta. It is a courtesy. The guy was a total dick for calling you out online for not tipping him, when he got a jam up payday.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its smart to let him buy half or he may make a deal when its heads up at the end to lose.

but the calcutta is a total separate thing and no one owes a tip to anyone if you win including the director who in many cases takes a piece of it for running it. you tip for service not for getting lucky. some people still dont see that.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, there is no "requirement" that you must allow a player to buy 1/2 (or any amount) of themselves in the calcutta. It is a courtesy. The guy was a total dick for calling you out online for not tipping him, when he got a jam up payday.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

In all the calcuttas i was in the player had the right to 1/2 right up to the draw.

Even had a TD take 1/2 for a player after seeing the draw. they were talking and didnt know who I was. The TD said just give me the money and I will give it to the guy and he wont know.

I did know as I was standing beside them! :eek:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dammit, humans. Do you have no ability to look past right now?

The horse is a winner, but hes gotra be fed. And he eats money.

How much did the friggin dude win for the calcutta? 1000$? All split up, that is 500 a side...250 fo you and your buddy. Throw the dude a 20 or 50...he might share a piece of winning with you again, down the road.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 10% is really a "tip' for not purposely taking a dump because there was not enough in it for him.I hate pool's "unwritten rules".He bought a horse by thinking he was worth more than anybody in the auction did and he should get paid everything he is owed.If Mr fantastic is so great that he is a guaranteed lock,he should have bid more and he can keep it all for himself.

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips

So if u buy let's say Justin Hall for 5k, and he wins you and your buddy $1250 each, you don't think he deserves some jelly? If someone know u don't believe in that, they may just "split" 1st and 2nd place money next time, or worse yet, dump just so u don't get paid at all. Like black balled said, that measly 10% will usually keep your horse on the square. Ppl need to not be so nitty!
Joey

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if u buy let's say Justin Hall for 5k, and he wins you and your buddy $1250 each, you don't think he deserves some jelly? If someone know u don't believe in that, they may just "split" 1st and 2nd place money next time, or worse yet, dump just so u don't get paid at all. Like black balled said, that measly 10% will usually keep your horse on the square. Ppl need to not be so nitty!
Joey

I'd say the nit in this example is the guy who would consider dumping cause he didn't get tossed an extra few hundred after just winning several thousand.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey

Your scenario is entirely different than the op's.

Lets use these numbers in the op 's scenario.

The player won 5,000.00 for first.

He went for 1,000.00 in the Calcutta which paid 5,000.00

The op and his partner each put 500 .00 the player buys half of himself from them.

The player gets 7,500.00 for a cost of 500.00 plus the 40.00 entry fee.

The op and his partner split 2,500.00 which totals 1,250.00 a piece minus the 250.00 which they paid in the Calcutta for a profit of 1,00.00 a piece and he should give the player a piece of that? You out of your mind dude.

Now in the situation you describe where the player did not buy any of himself ....sure I would give the player a piece of the pie to show my gratitude .

Dont know how it works in other areas but here if I buy a player in a Calcutta I pay the whole amount he went for and its more or less an unwritten rule we go up to the player and offer to sell him half if he wants it.

Last edited:

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey

Exactly my point.Paying them not to F you over.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say the nit in this example is the guy who would consider dumping cause he didn't get tossed an extra few hundred after just winning several thousand.

You don't have to be wrong, but sometimes, when full effort is needed, player may not be able to muster it all for someone else's benefit.

Maybe the loss is not a dump as obvious as shooting a combo into the rail?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh...and I don't believe we've seen any #s, but I think it is probably a few extra 10s, not 100s in this case.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about these jack offs just not rip people off? Who else besides the lowest scum on earth NEEDS to be paid so they don't "F you over"

I know.I learned the hard way.Bought a horse and however his group worked it out it was better to f me for thier group split.Cheap valuable lesson.So please forgive me if I am not going to cry for the players.