Aiming Metrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the baby seals we used to get were much, much better than the current crop. I don't know where they're getting the ones coming around nowadays.

Lou Figueroa

It's not about CTE for you guys. You just get off on arguing in the aiming forum.

PS which is really sad considering you and PJ don't aim, you just feel it in the hole.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not about CTE for you guys. You just get off on arguing in the aiming forum.
PS which is really sad considering you and PJ don't aim, you just feel it in the hole.[/QUOTE]
Hello Mr. Cookieman.
What is this "feeling it into the hole" business you're referring to?
#1 Does it work and if so, how?
#2 It sounds very un-scientific and haphazard. Kinda' like the stuff we did when first starting out a 'zillion years ago'...(no offense meant. I'm not looking for trouble around this place)
Can you explain, sir?
Thank you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
you and PJ don't aim, you just feel it in the hole.
Hello Mr. Cookieman.
What is this "feeling it into the hole" business you're referring to?
#1 Does it work and if so, how?
#2 It sounds very un-scientific and haphazard. Kinda' like the stuff we did when first starting out a 'zillion years ago'...(no offense meant. I'm not looking for trouble around this place)
Can you explain, sir?
Thank you.
He's apparently trying to say that if you aim "by feel" (don't use a formal aiming system) you're not really aiming at all.

Some system users are nervous about the idea that their subconscious actually makes the final aiming decisions for them - they want to believe that their system makes it possible to aim successfully without needing the help of the subconscious.

pj
chgo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's apparently trying to say that if you aim "by feel" (don't use a formal aiming system) you're not really aiming at all.

Some system users are nervous about the idea that their subconscious actually makes the final aiming decisions for them - they want to believe that their system makes it possible to aim successfully without needing the help of the subconscious.

pj
chgo

Who exactly are these nervous system users? Or is this another baseless opinion.

PS Some would say you are a nervous shooter. After all an eye witness described you as all fidgety when down lining up the shot.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pj
chgo
No, he's not "apparently trying to say anything" other than what he asked Cookieman. And that is: How does aiming work by "feeling it into the pocket"?
Look, mister, you have a reputation of starting trouble around here. You're very clever at doing it so it looks just so "nicey".
My question was directed to Cookieman, not to you.
So my statement to you, is leave me alone. I don't get off on trouble around this place and getting mixed up in a 'back and forth' with you seems to lead to just that.
Mr. Wilson lectured you. You've got your answer from me. Now let it go.
PUH-LEEEEEEEEEZE.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would be the ones who argue vehemently that their aiming system works without "feel". Ever heard of such an idea?

pj
chgo

Yes, I believe I have heard of these types. I think the problem lies in these types of players not understanding what is meant by "feel". They insinuate that we guide our shots with some sort emotion-based telekinesis or secret knowledge. The truth is exactly as you describe it, that the "subconscious actually makes the final aiming decisions".

This applies to all aiming methods. Final tweaking is based on personal knowledge, judgement, and experience, and it becomes automatic after enough practice or use with any particular system or method. At first we make conscious adjustments. This is the learning process, and for some methods it is slow and tedious. But eventually our brains adapt and the metrics become automatic, repeatable, with little to no concious effort involved other than visual recognition. So a system might be used, but the fine tuning is feel. When it looks or "feels" right then it's trigger time. I mean, feel is the internal gauge we all use to determine whether or not something looks right.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
No, he's not "apparently trying to say anything" other than what he asked Cookieman. And that is: How does aiming work by "feeling it into the pocket"?
I was answering your question about what cookie meant (he was talking about me, by the way).

pj <- whoosh
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, I believe the King of "no it's not feel" was Spider. He had a certain phobia to the idea that the subconscious is of paramount importance in deciding when a shot was "on." I don't imagine cookie or anyone else here would be quite so intransigent.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
To be fair, I believe the King of "no it's not feel" was Spider. He had a certain phobia to the idea that the subconscious is of paramount importance in deciding when a shot was "on." I don't imagine cookie or anyone else here would be quite so intransigent.

First of all, I don't have any phobias when it comes to pool, the subconscious, the conscious, or anything else. You have no idea what I think about anything.

From here on out, YOU DAN WHITE, can leave me out of your septic tank thinking and conversations.

That is my request and from here on out your posts will be reported if it's to me or about me. Count on it!!

I have no desire to post in this forum again.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, I don't have any phobias when it comes to pool, the subconscious, the conscious, or anything else. You have no idea what I think about anything.

From here on out, YOU DAN WHITE, can leave me out of your septic tank thinking and conversations.

That is my request and from here on out your posts will be reported if it's to me or about me. Count on it!!

I have no desire to post in this forum again.

Why don't you just put me on ignore like I have been saying for a couple of years instead of making a big presentation out of everything?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Even Stan mentions "knowing" when a shot or alignment looks right, tweaking the shot in manner that one would tweak or fine tune any straight in shot. This is feel, a harmony of conscious inputs (visuals) and a subconscious barometer/guage.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So these grudges aren’t about the systems. They’re about how the systems are presented. Who characterized it in which manner. Who disagrees that is how they actually characterized it. Who is making a veiled reference back to those disagreements. And who can’t move on like an adult. Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.